PA... are outhouses/composting toilets legal?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by seedspreader, Sep 10, 2007.

1. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Does anyone have a link for outhouse regulations or composting toilet regs for PA.

Specifically Warren, Crawford and Venango counties?

2. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

Hey ZYG, was just thinking about you. Hope all is well.

Not to hijack your thread but where is the apple orchard you were buying the dropped apples from? I'm thinking about making a little cider.

TIA

Mike

Sorry I can't help with the outhouse question.

3. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

if it is an existing outhouse yes, otherwise no. if you have one, take good care of it as it cannot be moved or rebuilt (i think). not sure about composting toilets, but something tells me no. PA likes to be all up in your...well, business. :)

4. YoYoDog

YoYoDog Well-Known Member

5. seedspreader

6. seedspreader

Heh. You ARE alive... :) LOL, give me a call or a PM and I will give you the name and number of the orchard.

Looks like a decent apple year this year (at least from what I've heard).

7. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

depends on the county and twp

8. anniew

anniew keep it simple and honest Supporter

PA sewage laws are made at the state level. Sewage Enforcement Officers work for townships/boroughs or groups of them, but must adhere to the DEP regs. Sometimes a little politics may enter at the lower levels, but technically the SEOs are licensed by DEP.
    When I worked as a perc tester about 10 years ago, the regs were not very open to alternative systems. Plus, all gray water must go through the septic system to be legal.
    Even a repair to a malfunctioning system (a pipe that has been broken that needs replacing, for instance) was a hassle and expensive when I was involved. I'm not sure what has happened the last 10 years, however. SEOs at that time seemed to pick on the smaller guys as they didn't have deep pockets to fight things. I hope things have gotten better, but doubt it.
    Good luck.

9. stanb999

stanb999 Well-Known Member

Just about all the B.S. in Pa. has been fixed. The state kinda stole the power from the towns. They sold it as enforcing building codes. But in reality the state took all jurisdiction. So the Building Codes for the most part are more liberal. Now in some areas this isn't so. Like where there was no enforcement. But those areas were very few. Like My twp. Used to have you get a permit for every new building..... Now if it's an ag. structure. They can go pound salt as they have NO say. So I figure it's pretty good.

10. beowoulf90

beowoulf90 Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't know about the laws, but I would think composting toilets would be allowed. They use them in the parks like Hawk Mountain and such. I've seen them in other State facilities also, just can't remember exactly where. Check with your local SEO and he will be able to tell you. I know when we bought our place in 1991 there wasn't a toilet or an outhouse I could find. They made us put in a sand mound..

11. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

If the traditional outhouse is illegal, you may still be able to build an outside privy over a sealed holding tank. Our outhouse was built over a 300-gallon plastic septic tank. The tank cost about $150 (10 years ago). If it ever fills up, I can get it pumped. After 10 years, it's not even 1/3 full.

12. teresab

teresab Well-Known Member

Have you found a place yet? We were camping down there over Labor day and I was wondering if you have found something.

13. seedspreader

Still in the "looking" mode, but we've found a few that we are pursuing further than "looking".

We thought we had the right one a few months ago. It had been on the market for over 6 months empty. I called up my bank to prearrange the financing and called the realtor and... it had an offer and contract written THAT DAY. Some great timing there... lol. But we figured God knows best.

14. pumpkinlady

pumpkinlady Well-Known Member

Check with the local township for requirements on outhouses. We permit them in our township but we do have a privy ordinance that must be followed. This includes how the house is to be built and the holding tank.

15. seedspreader

What county is that?

16. baldylocks

baldylocks Well-Known Member

I grew up in Forest county and go there often. I don't know what the exact regs are but there are moons on lots of doors if you look around....

17. teresab

I'm still trying to keep my eyes open but I'm sure you have a realtor looking for you. It sure is disappointing when you think you have found something and it doesn't work out! I'm sure in God's perfect timing things will work.
    I think that church in Starbrick (the little red one) is sold. Kind of weird -when we went by it last week it looked like they had some kind of flea market thing going on inside and yet there was a sign up for church services on Sunday.
    Again let me know if there is anyway I can help...will keep your family in my prayers.

18. seedspreader

Actually I called them.

The Starbrick community church owns that building, but the old baptist church (which from what I understand went defunct a while ago) gave the starbrick community church their old building. The starbrick community church then moved from the red church to the old baptist church and had their old one up for sale.

Well it wasn't selling so they turned it into an "amish market" and they are looking for crafters now. Not sure how long that will last, but that's the story.

19. teresab

Well that's good to know!! The old baptist church is where I first went to vacation bible school..holds lots of good memories for me. Maybe the next time down I'll stop and check the Amish market out. I love that building...just to bad it is located where it is.