Ozarkland

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Aintlifegrand, Jul 1, 2005.

1. Aintlifegrand

Aintlifegrand Well-Known Member

Does anyone know anything about the company Ozarkland.com ( Woods and Waters)? Is the company reputable? Is the land they are selling nice homesites?

Thanks!

2. Mawna

Mawna Well-Known Member

Sorry never heard of them. I just don't really trust alot of realtors. There is some I would rank right in with bad Lawyers, rip off car salesmen, and crooked Politicians. But I am always up for being fooled. If you find out they seem reputable there appear to be several others on this site wishing to look at land in the Ozarks, might let them know also.

3. QBVII

QBVII Well-Known Member

If it's the one I'm thinking of, as far as I know they are reputable ~ they sell land cheap in the Ozarks but you have to read THE RESTRICTIONS.
    Alot of the parcels they list specify a time-limit on getting your house built (like 180 days from start to finish), also specify what type of house it can be (usually log), also specify how many days/weeks of the year you can camp on your own property.
    Very restricted.
    Terms are good but I wouldn't want somebody telling me what I can or can't do on my own property.

4. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    I bought my land from Neil Shelton at Ozarkland.com and you couldnt ask for a nicer guy to do business with. The deal is just exactly as he states it. You send him the first months payment and he sends you a contract for 15 years at simple interest. Each month you send a payment. Easy as pie. No credit check no downpayment nada. some of his newer developments(this is a very loose term as his places are not like regular subdivisions) have some restrictions as to size or house and time restraints, but most of his deals have very few restrictions and most of them are simple and reasonable. The only criticism I might mention is that Neil works on "country time". Sometimes it takes a bit to get in touch with him but usually he answers emails fairly promptly. Work gets done but if you are one of those folks that like instant action, you might find Neil a bit frustrating. But the work does get done and he keeps his promises.
    I've dealt with lots worse folks than Neil and several of us on the Forum have bought from him and can attest to his patience and kindness. One other thing:
    When Neil cautions you about something...ie This land is very Rural Or The road is rough and you will need 4 wheel drive BELIEVE HIM. He wont lead you wrong and generally gives you the worse case scenario. he doesnt want any customers to get any rude surprises which makes sense. if you can go visit the land before you buy, I would but many of his pieces move quickly.
    I bought my land sight unseen except for the photo on the website and was completely satisfied. In fact genuinely surprised that it was far better than I had imagined. Good luck with your purchase and let us know where you are thinking about buying. IM at Origanna Woods in Laclede county.

5. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

I've talked with Neil a few times there in Willow Springs (I guess that's where he still is - it's been a few years back now.) Judging from what I read and heard he seems to be on the up-and-up although a lot of the REALTORS in the area talk bad about him. I think it's just because he does things differently and they can't "think outside the box". Either that or they are jealous of his success, which happens a lot with real estate agents.

You might check the circuit clerk's office for that county (Howell? maybe?) and ask if he has ever been a defendant in a civil lawsuit. Also check with the Missouri Real Estate Commission. If both of those come out clean, I would say that you are pretty safe.

Like one of the other posters said, read the deed/covenants/restrictions carefully. I know in one subdivision locally (Misty Springs), there is a covenant that prohibits cutting down trees other than for clearing a construction site. If you were buying land for a wood lot that would be quite a problem. You would want to watch for things like that.
    \

donsgal

6. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate

I've e-mailed him a few times asking questions, like how he got started and such.

He will answer you and does not appear to BS when answering.

Also, I put down money on a site out where Mark is and then later went and looked at it, before all was set up. I did not get my deposit back (about $150) as it had been off the market for about two weeks, but also didn't get any hassle from him.

And the property was as he said, the only reason I backed out was it was 6 hours away from here. Now I almost wish I had done it, cause land is land.

Angie

7. stonefly71

stonefly71 Well-Known Member

Is this the same one who has land for sale under Baker- Realty in Yellville? just wanted to know as this guy sounds like the other and tells you stright up how the land is and that some is way out or you might find one place were you could hold onto a tree and stand up as it's a ravine? Thanks Later Matt

8. luckysranch

luckysranch Well-Known Member

These types of transactions are only a good deal for people with no credit. They usually are a "contract for deed" transaction. I think you should always take a look at the property in person first. There is a lot of land available for sale in this part of Missouri and a lot of price differences. What size property are you looking for? (this does make a difference in what is available - under 40 acres can be hard to find in rural areas) The local MLS is available on the web to browse www.morealestate.net
    You might also want to look in the local papers for "sale by owner".

9. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

The reason this type of transaction benefits the Realtor is there are no repo fees if people change their minds. BUT, the person who buys the land gets NO legal rights to the property until paid off. They can use the property but the ownership stays in the Realtor's possession until a deed is supplied by the Realtor.

One big problem is if the Realtor or original land owner files bankruptcy the land can revert back to the assets of that owner and the contract buyer looses all.

10. Aintlifegrand

Aintlifegrand Well-Known Member

Yes. That is the problem with contract deeds, but if you are paying cash then that should not matter. My main concern is not the deed issue, but I am unable to go to that area for awhile and was wondering if the land is as represented on the internet and if the company was a legitimate company. Thanks for all the information and responses from everyone.