ozark question - touchy subject

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by ozarkin'it, Sep 11, 2004.

1. ozarkin'it

ozarkin'it Well-Known Member

for all you ozark people, I have a chigger question. as much as I hate to do it, we apply bug spray prior to dressing, but how do you keep the dang chiggers out of your crotch?

2. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

Not from the ozarks.But down south (TN) we spray mainly our ankles.And then every thing else over clothing and bare arms with bug spray.The type bug spray is most important if you ask me.I only use stuff that smells like burning cedar (deep woods sent,unscented doesn't seem to repel anything here).Burn some green cedar branches when the skitters are thick and you will see why i like cedar smell.I also usually only use Off brand.Cutter brand doesn't seem quite as effective to me.I bought a different brand just today to test out.Humm just thought about it but i didn't smell of it yet.But anyway they claim it has 40%deet (in case they get past the smell :D ) which is supposed to be good.Anyway the Deep Woods smell seems to work best for us for every things that bites..

If you ever encounter them biteing flys youll have to soak you skin good no matter what brand (that ive tryed anyway).Um on a side note if you get seed ticks on you before you apply it they will get off when sprayed.Yep ive prayed my croch in such said case,gotta say that burns somewhat. :eek: Gotta die from something at least it want be bug bites.Although the thoughts of my pea pea falling off dont sound to apealing maybe some one else has a better method. :D

3. poppy

poppy Guest

Get some old rags, soak them in kerosene, wring them out, and shove your jockey shorts full of them. Not only keeps chiggers off, but turns you into a babe magnet.

4. ayleeann

ayleeann Well-Known Member

Besides spraying...get the outside work done as quickly as possible, get out of your work clothes and shower immediately!!!

5. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

It might be helpful to be certain they are chiggers.

You need a good magnifying glass to i.d. them (at least 20X, 30X would be better.) Do a google on them and make certain thats what you have. They have an easily identified shape if you can compare one to a picture on line. Sorry I don't have a site or link.

If its' truly chiggers, the problem is larger than you, if its another kind of louse, you could be the whole problem.

A lot of people on this forum use Diatomaceous Earth for a whole host of insect problems. I suspect you could dust yourself - be careful not to breathe much of the dust. Depending on exactly what it is, you may need to deal with other areas, like your clothes, your mattress, upholstered chairs, the lawn ....

6. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

You can't!!!! Tucks in your shirts and your pants into your socks,spray with OFF throughly and take a shower with one of those net scrubbies when you come in...seems to scrape 'em off good. I long for the first frost!!! DEE

7. poppy

poppy Guest

When i was young and we went blackberry picking or anything involving weeds, it was common practice to put a handful of sulfur in every pocket we had. It always worked. I guess the sulfur dust filtered down through your clothes.

8. Mudwoman

Mudwoman Well-Known Member

We spray ourselves all the way to our waist. Shower as soon as we can after being out in the woods. We also spray the outside of our clothing and shoes. We keep the area around the house treated with spray and granules that are supposed to kill the little ****s. We have also found that in time, you don't react as bad to the bites. Now getting a chigger bite is just a bit worse than a mosquito bite, but when we first got chigger bites, we ended up at the doctor's office. :eek:

My MIL just can't imagine why we would live in a place with such horrid creatures. You get used to it. After the first cold snap of temps in the 30's they die and don't return until the temps warm around Easter. To me, the ticks and the mosquitos are worse. At least the chiggers don't carry disease that we are aware of. The ticks carry Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever and the mosquitos carry West Nile.

9. Rita

Rita Well-Known Member Supporter

Mudwoman, Thank you, I think you answered a question I had! We have had chigger bites in the past and they were about the size of a dime with a darker red center. Well, one day I had to husk some sweetcorn and it was hot and my knees were killing me so I decided to sit in the doorway of our old unused chicken coop. That evening I had bites all over the covered parts of my body and they itched like chiggers but the bites were much smaller (flaxseed size). I thought there was some other critter to hate out there but maybe they are chiggers but I am just not as allergic to them. I sure learn a lot on this Forum! Rita

10. ozarkin'it

ozarkin'it Well-Known Member

can anyone tell me where to get diatomacues earth? cant find that dang stuff anywhere.

11. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

Lowes carrys is , as does home depot
    in the garden department , name brand "safer"
    dust the yard to bits!!!!!, if thats the only place youre going

to stop self from scratching, and the related infections i find the cheapest brand hand alchohol gel, and apply liberally, the alchohol kills any stuck on chiggers, and it stops the itching for a while too,
    but the best all around itch stopper,
    is
    roll on deoderant ~ im not joking !~
    apply as soon as you start to itch , works like magic ! and unlike calmine , no yucky pink trails !!! re apply as often as you need it !

12. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

................I wish I had a recording of ALL the Comments from wives\girlfriends when they see Big Daddy inspecting his Parts with a Magnifying Glass....."Dammit...is that a flea or ...me?''..........Whoa Doggies....Dr. Fordy L. Hudderstein , MD, FASP, SOB , PDQ , Kosher Proctologist to the Stars

13. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

Chiggers crawl up grass stems and weeds and wait patiently for you to walk by.
    Be sure to spray your ankles, socks and pant legs or bare legs if waring a dress.
    You can spray your clothes too with something stronger than you want on your skin.(deet) Spray around your waist and neck, and sleeve openings. Chiggers go to the warm, moist parts of your body.
    DE won't work! DE kills by dehidrating the insect. That takes a while. That little sucker has crawled up your leg to you know where, bit you and gone away before DE can do anything to it. And contrary to folk lore, that little chigger is not inside the bite.
    You will get more chiggers in wet grass or weeds than dry.

14. romancemelisa

romancemelisa Well-Known Member

had the same problem labor day weekend i'am still recovering about 100 bite on 1 leg and 50 on the other searched on line, home remedies included bleach, didn't like the ideal of putting bleach on me body so i asked the pharmacist, he said the same thing. at least keep alcohol on them so you don't get a secondary infection from all the scratrching.