Ozark Land for sale

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by pen, Dec 25, 2005.

1. pen

pen Well-Known Member

I was wondering if anybody has bought land from Ozarkland.com. Or do you know anybody that has bought land through them? We were thinking of buying land in Missouri , and was wondering if anyone knew anything about Ozarkland.com.

Thanks Max & Pen

2. Tyrone

Tyrone New Member

I bought some from them in NE Oklahoma when the company was called Woods and Waters. The only problem I had was road maintenance to my property but I can't entirely blame them. They hired a local to do the work and he didn't quite keep up to their specifications. The HUD report I received was very thorough and helpful and my questions were answered promptly and completely whenever I would call the realtor. I had to give up my property a few years later due to illness and Neil Shelton at Woods and Waters was very helpful in the process and offered to credit what I had already paid to a future purchase if I ever got into a position to do so again. I've looked at the properties they have available now and haven't found anything that suits me and I've noticed that the prices have gone up considerably since I paid the $3100 for the 2 1/2 acres near Spavinaw, OK.

3. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

You noticed huh? Small acreages that Ozarkland listed for $13,000 ten years ago are now more than $30,000 (same properties, by the way, or very similar). Let's face it Shelton is a REALTOR, maybe "slightly" better than the rest, but he is out to make a buck and someone elses expense. Properties have not increased by 300 percent in the past ten years so "somebody" is trying to make a killer profit and boost property values in the process so that they get higher commissions on sales. (A dirty REALTOR trick).

If you can find a For Sale By Owner property you are better off. Don't let the hype about the paperwork scare you. REALTORS only prepare the contract for sale and they are very standard by nature (I think you can buy them at Staples or Office Max) and certainly they are available on the internet - Google "realestatecontaract.pdf" or "realestatecontract.doc" and see what comes up. All of the rest of the paperwork is done by the Title Company and they can do it for an individual just as easily as a real estate company.

Before running to any REALTOR check all of the local Pennysaver type newspapers and ask around. Lots of people don't like using REALTORS (for good reason) and you might find something you like without having to go that route. Also check out www.alexander-realty.com for a basis of comparison to ozarkland.com.

Best of luck. Living in the Missouri Ozarks is wonderful!

donsgal

4. Tyrone

Tyrone New Member

I'm not here to defend him, I haven't spoken with him in over 10 years, but in noticing the steep increase in his prices I also noticed that he had far fewer properties available for sale than he had in 1990. Then he had properties on lakes in Oklahoma, Missouri and Arkansas with parcels available straight across southern Missouri from the OK border eastward. I have another browser open and I'm looking at what Alexander Realty has to offer and their prices aren't exactly cheap. Cheaper but not cheap. It looks to me like the inflated prices of land have a lot to do with supply and demand. There are more people with a lot more discretionary income that there were 10 or so years ago and more of them are trying to find that second home. More people + more money - less land = higher prices for a disappearing coutryside.

You are right. They (realtors) are out to make a buck and as many of them as they can. But then aren't we all. Isn't that why we go to work every day? I wish I could have kept my land in Oklahoma but that's water under the bridge now. I would love to join all of you in the Ozarks someday and get away from the 8" to 10" of snow I'm looking at out the window today, and every winter, and I will keep searching until I find my land and build a cabin in the woods.

5. punkrockpilot

punkrockpilot Well-Known Member

I have bought and sold a lot of property and I must say every realtor I have met/used is slimey. You do not need one ever. Just sold our nonflooded house in New Orleans. Real estate attorney did it all for $500. We saved many many thousands.

6. mowrey1999

mowrey1999 Well-Known Member

As far as buying property in missouri I looked for probably 6 months before I found what i was looking for , I used the for sale by owner website,and all the local realtors I could find, united country realtors has a lot of realtors in several areas , baker realty, and also looked at a couple places thru alexander realty in theodosia missouri, The property and place I finally found was thru milliondollarealty.com Trulla and Paul stinnett. There headquarters are in Ava,missouri but they showed us propertys between Ava,missouri and several in the theodosia area,they met with us drove us and were excellent hosts, They had a beautiful home on about 25 acres and offered it to us for the night instead of a motel also.I did look at propertys thru other realtors but every time I would tell them what i wanted they would always show us what they had available on the high end of what we wanted to spend which was nice but there are a lot of places that have potential for less than our maximun so we wanted to see high and low and make a decision and that was what trulla and paul did was show us all propertys they thought we might like within our price and criteria, I cant say enough about how nice they were and when we needed someone to go let the insurance people in and appraiser in they were willing to drive from ava to theodosia to let them in to do there work ,whatever was needed they were willing to help out,I would definately use them again and recommend them.

7. suzyhomemaker09

suzyhomemaker09 Well-Known Member

We bought our 7.7 acre little place in Texas county Mo. from Neil Shelton several years ago...the payment set up was nice because you don't have to find financing outside the arrangement.

8. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

I would never buy from them almost all there land has resrictions such as no pigs allowed.

9. ceresone

ceresone Well-Known Member Supporter

since i live in the same town as relator, i wont print anything. he has property within a mile or so from me, and i know several of the people that have property from him.i will say if you want rough land, off the grid, and away from the main road, thats it. one lady bought land, and built a house in a tree-understand she's now wanting to sell.

10. pen

pen Well-Known Member

we have been looking at some of the listings from the realtor ,when the ad says cistern and lagoon, what exactly do you have? Thanks for your help!

11. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

Most likely it means that your water is collected rain water or water than you bring in and put into a cistern. A cistern is a large holding tank, usually under ground (not always though).

By lagoon, they MIGHT mean that they have a septic lagoon instad of a septic system or holding tank. Google it for more information, as I am no expert. Don't think it is gross though, because I know people in Colorado who have a 1/2 million dollar house and a septic lagoon and it is just fine. No smell. Only thing is it can be dangerous to kids and pets if not fenced well. Anyway, that is what they "might" be talking about. Better to call and find out for sure.

Donsgal

12. FarmboyBill

FarmboyBill Well-Known Member Supporter

Cant remembver the name of his outfit in 75, but, we went down there to look at property. He finally showed us a nice place and we were interested. We thought we had it. I quit my job, and we moved all our household stuff down threre plus hand tools ect. when we got down there, we found it haed just been sold. then he showed us 2 other places. the first was mrore or less a big shack on the top of a rocky hill. We moved in it, and over the course of say 3 months, the guy selling it gave up on the idea and we had to move, to another place. We lived there for 2 yrs, and lost it, then we came over here to Okla. Never regreted the move from There to here. DEEPLY regreted the move from Kansas to there

13. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

Ive looked at a road map of MO.. its kinda "congested" aint it?

14. NShel

NShel Member

I just wanted to stop in and warm up this old thread.

I'm the guy they're talking about. I am NOT a Realtor, which is a member of a trade group of real estate brokers. I believe that Donsgal may be a broker or agent, but I don't know her any better than she knows me.

I'm not a broker either, at least not any more. What I'm selling I own myself and I price it to sell. Just like you, I want to sell it for a good price. If I price it too high, it doesn't sell. Duh.

Someone on this thread also said we don't permit animals on our properties. What our restrictions say is that you can keep any animals you want so long as they aren't allowed to become a nuisance to the neighbors i.e. you have to fence in your livestock. Ask me some time about what happened when we didn't use this restriction.

15. NShel

NShel Member

It's been a long time since '75 when I was a broker and I'd only been in business for 2 years, but I'll try to assume that what you say is true.

In the case of the first property, why would you think you "had it" if you didn't sign a contract or pay any money? Second property: "the guy selling it gave up on the idea" what does that mean? Does it mean he broke his contract to you, or were you just living there on the assumption that you might buy it some time?

Really?

16. gone-a-milkin

gone-a-milkin Well-Known Member Supporter

Digging up some old bones tonight, I see.

17. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Bought from him in '93.Drove down looked at the property,had to walk 3/4 of a mile in.He had bought our Property for $250 an acre,sold it to us for $840 an acre.He had pushed out a rough dirt road,no gravel,no Electric access,no Survey.

We got back home I throwed the Paperwork in the trash,told my wife he was a crook.We have a place paid for don't need that.My wife went behind me got the Paperwork made First Payment.

Year later we went ahead and moved there.No one else around,No Electric,No Running Water.Moved into a Lean to with Dirt Floor.The Road was to be kept up to where it was able to get Passenger Car in,very seldom could you.Did find work soon as we moved.

Year and half later a woman moved in said we was getting Electric whether we wanted it or not.Well she found there was no access.Neil bought other Property to get Electric in,I believe he did have Right of Way pushed out but said he would pay for Poles to the Property which he didn't.The woman Paid and we Paid her back our Share.

Did finally get Well Dug because they was Punching two Holes and had money in hand.But the road was poorly Maintained,couldn't get Fire Department,UPS or anything along that line back there.

We went ahead and bought total of Twenty Acres,had Goats,Calves,Poultry and Rabbits and every so often Hogs.

We lived there 17 years enjoyed it very much.Sold out last Spring mainly because of the road,like my wife said we was just getting too old to mess with it.

The property is Over Priced but the Land is there,and its Owner Financed,so it don't help your credit or can you borrow against it.I wouldn't necessarily trust Neil Shelton on his word.He depends on people to start paying but never getting it paid off,letting it go back and turning around selling it again.Don't ever think you can Resale it for what you paid for it.

[​IMG]

big rockpile

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  18. FarmboyBill

FarmboyBill Well-Known Member Supporter

I dont remember the deal on the first one. U let us move into the 2nd as the owner was somewhere else and wanting to sell the property. For whatever reason, he changed his mind, and we moved from there. Been liveing here on this place in Okieland, for over 30 year and was ever so glad to get outa the Ozarks.

19. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Oh I might add if you are willing to look you can find Owner Finance much cheaper.We looked one day found our present place.3 Bedroom,1 bath,Family room,and living Room,Barn on 5 Level,cleared acres.2 miles from Truman Lake for $50K on County Maintained Gravel Road,1 mile from State Paved Road.

big rockpile

20. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member Supporter

Interesting thread. I did see something I'd like to comment on. Someone mentioned selling the same piece of property repeatedly. This seems to be a common thing with seller financed parcels. There is a company less than 20 miles from me that makes this a habit. I know of lots they have sold three or more times. I've been told that they take back more than half of what they sell. But how is that their fault? People get the idea they want to buy land and though they could never get it through normal lenders, they can do so with the seller financed properties. Things change, maybe the idea doesn't sound so good any longer, maybe health issues. For whatever reason, and I believe it would normally be financial, the buyer just defaults and the land goes back to the seller. I don't see that as anything negative about the seller. I assume people read the contracts they sign and know what will happen if they default.

I looked into Ozarkland.com some years ago and I still take a peek now and then. I was all set to buy a piece of property, but then my financial picture changed and I couldn't go forward. I'm fortunate to not have been already paying, because I would have lost the land. I don't know about anyone else, but if I was buying a piece of property and not living on it and things took a bad turn financially, that would be the first bill I would eliminate. Not the brightest thing to do, but if it was choice between that and letting a car go back or not paying my rent, it would be a no brainer. As far as I'm concerned, Mr. Shelton seems to be an honorable man who makes buying a piece of property possible for people who may not be able to any other way. I guess it's a case of if you don't want to do business with someone, don't. But if it was me, I'd rather do business with him than the local company here. Of course the wife won't let me move to MO, so the point is moot. :(

Nomad