Ozark beauty strawberry question

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by BeesNBunnies, Sep 26, 2005.

1. BeesNBunnies

BeesNBunnies Schnauzer nut

I planted about 30 Ozark Beauty strawberry plants this last spring. My mouth was just a waterin thinking about harvesting strawberries. I didn't even get one berry this year! They are supposed to be an everbearing. What I have gotten is runners! I think I have enough little strawberry plants to plant an acre with! I've tried pinching off the runners when they appear in the hopes of getting some berries but the plants just grew lusher....with no berries. I've got some gorgeous plants but no berries. Will I get berries next year?

2. Hammer

Hammer Active Member

My first thought is if they were first year plants or some that some one gave you. Second year plants mainly make runners. If that is not the case I would guess it has something to do with your soil.

3. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

I have everbearing strawberries on my deck and they are still getting fruit. Only thing is the chipmunks and squirrels are eating them just as they start turning pink. Now they are so greedy that they are eating them green. Runners everywhere too.

4. Hammer

Hammer Active Member

That is why I gave up on strawberries. They are a lot of work and I was never getting my fair share of the berries. I covered them with netting and everything I could think of and they still vanished before they got ripe.

5. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

A problem with strawberries is that growing instructions often do not come with them. Especially so when bought at a local nursery. The assumption is that the buyer either knows what to do or there is someone around to answer any questions. So what does that mean? It means that one of the important things that should have been done with Ozark Beauty was to remove the runners. All of their energy went into producing runners and new plants rather than making fruit. In the second year, then you can allow a runner per plant for eventually replacing the original plant. Either that or buy replacement plants every 3 years.

Martin