Oxfords, Breeding!

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by ONThorsegirl, Aug 18, 2006.

1. ONThorsegirl

ONThorsegirl Fergusons Family Farm

We had to put our Oxford ram in the barn this week and treat him with pennicillin, he had 2 sore feet. He would lay all day long. He would eat around him(from what he could get laying down), get up and then lay down again and continue eating around him.

So we brought him to the barn and I have him pennicillin for 4 days and he is now up and eatting his grain and hay.

We thought that since he is so comfortable inside we mid as well keep him in the barn, get him into good shape for the fairs to show and for breeding. He is a very quite friendly ram so being around him in the barn is no problem. (Now we wouldn't be keeping our cheviot ram in to long, he just gets a little excited)

I thought since we will be keeping him in longer he should have a companion so I brought in our Oxford yearling show ewe. (we only have one Registered Oxford ewe, the other are crossbreds, cheviots, or suffolks) She is in great shape but she could gain more over her hind end.

So we are going to keep her in the pen with him and they should do great. As soon as we put her in the pen Shilaghli (or ram) was interested in Jane (the ewe) smelling, and she would squat for him, but not stand. Do you think they would breed at this time of the year?

We have no problem with lambs coming earlier as it will work out good for the shows next year.

So Do you think they will breed? Today it was hot but nights definitly cool down.

They are both in a box stall, 12' by 10'. access to hay, water and mineral and salt, along with grain fed once or twice a day.

Melissa

2. SilverVista

SilverVista Well-Known Member

Melissa, we have registered Oxfords, and always put the rams in about Labor Day. We have two rams in the barn to go to the fair on Wednesday, they are out of sight of the ewes, but even with very warm weather, they are beginning to get rutty-looking faces and yesterday they started butting and carrying on -- after a solid month of peaceful co-existence! So I would say yes, it's entirely possible that breeding could occur for you. The ewe won't stand unless she's solidly in season, though. Have you noticed whether she has begun cycling?

The year that we let the ram run in the flock all summer, we had Oxford babies at Thanksgiving.

3. ONThorsegirl

ONThorsegirl Fergusons Family Farm

Thanks,

This is our first time wiht our Oxfords. We only have one Reg. Ewe but we will be crossing our reg. Ram on some commercial Ewes this year as well. Our Reg. Ewe is only a yearling so this will be her first lambing in the Spring. as a 2 yr. old.

Well if she is bred thats good and if not thats fine. No big deal either way as long as she has lambs this winter or Spring!!!

Melissa