Ox training

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Rob30, Nov 24, 2006.

1. Rob30

Rob30 Well-Known Member Supporter

How old is to old to start training. I have 2 shorthorn steers I want to train. They are about 6 months old. They are small for 6 months because they are bottle raised and only recieved grain for about 3 months. They spent the summer on pasture, so they did not grow much.

2. rcornish

rcornish Well-Known Member

If you don't have them already in halter and leading at 6 months it will at best be a long hard road. I am not sure how other folks have done starting at that age, but my personal experience was a nightmare when starting at that age (w/ shorthorns mind you). Not to say it is impossible, but it is a lot easier if you get them going in a halter as soon after they are born as possible.

Ray Cornish

3. onecowenuf

onecowenuf Member

They are not to old to start now. The sooner the better. The more you work with them the sooner the better more reliable team they will make. The nice thing about starting a team when they are babies is they are small enough to horse around. Probably by now your team is too big to manhandle and they will be a lot more independent. But you bottle fed them so they should be pretty tame. It is good to tie them and leave them tied next to each other. That way they get used to being haltered and being next to each other. Once you decide which side they will work on tie them in that position.

4. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

I've never worked too much with older wild cattle, but the ancient Greeks and Romans didn't even bother with a bull before he was 5 or 6 years old, and had lived his life far removed from humans. It seems that cattle are never too old to train, but the older they are the more skills are required on the part of the trainer. Working with a brute that could weigh more than a ton is not for the faint of heart, but working with a 6 month old bottle raised calf ought to be easy enough.