Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Dreaming of autumn....
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I bought a copy of Ox-Cart Man by Donald Hall and illustrated by Barbara Cooney. It is a wonderful homestead-y type picture book. I would love to buy more books like this to read to my daughter as she gets a little older. (She's nine months.)

Suggestions? I'm also open to hearing about good chapter books beyond Little House and Caddie Woodlawn.

Thanks!

·
Registered
353 Posts
"Meanwhile, Back at the Ranch" is a totally fun book about Farming/Ranching. I forget the author and my copy is at our Cabin. In the book, the Farmer goes to town and wife stays home. He thinks he will have much fun and action in town and feels sorry that she stayed home where it is quiet. Meanwhile, back at the Ranch, the wife delivers baby pigs/ cows / discovers oil / has visit from the President / dyes her hair blonde / builds additions to the barn / and many other fun and zany things. It is a great book about the busy, active life on a Farm.

·
Registered
713 Posts
If you are ok w/ a definite Christian, homestead-y theme, check out Rod and Staff books. They are a Mennonite publisher that put out good wholesome books that are educational. You can find MANY farm/wildlife stories, as well as biographies and educational material for all ages.

Some of my favs are Cornfield Baby..a collection of stories about wildlife, Wildlife on the Farm (both for 3-4-5th grade) and A Boy to Help and the GOd is Good series (early readers).

Happy reading, Rachael

·
Dreaming of autumn....
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all for the good suggestions so far. We are Christians so Christian themes are fine for us. I've heard of Rod and Staff many times, but haven't read any of their materials. (I'm a former teacher and we plan to homeschool.)

Is anyone familiar with the picture books by Johannah Bluedorn?. I've looked at them online but have never seen them in person.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
linn said:
I highly recommend the books by Ralph Moody, starting with the book, Little Britches. These books are a good read for both kids and adults.
I will never forget that book - especially the cowboy's story of how your character is like a house, and if you pull off a board here and a board there eventually nothing is left. You may have seen me mention in other threads here on HT just how much that quote has influenced me.

That's one of the books from childhood that I intend to someday buy myself again as an adult. I wish I still had my super well worn copy from when I was a kid.

Lynda

·
Registered
713 Posts
Pansies4me said:
Thanks to all for the good suggestions so far. We are Christians so Christian themes are fine for us. I've heard of Rod and Staff many times, but haven't read any of their materials. (I'm a former teacher and we plan to homeschool.)

Is anyone familiar with the picture books by Johannah Bluedorn?. I've looked at them online but have never seen them in person.

Thanks!

OK, then, I have to put a little commercial in here: I LOVE their curriculum. I have homeschooled for 5 yrs now...and used various curriculum. Theirs is our last stop b/c I love that a. it is Christ centered, b. there is a huge farm/homestead theme throughout and c. it is quite affordable to be so thorough. You can view curriculum and books at www.rodstaff.com .

Rachael

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
matt633 said:
OK, then, I have to put a little commercial in here: I LOVE their curriculum. I have homeschooled for 5 yrs now...and used various curriculum. Theirs is our last stop b/c I love that a. it is Christ centered, b. there is a huge farm/homestead theme throughout and c. it is quite affordable to be so thorough. You can view curriculum and books at www.rodstaff.com .

Rachael
ditto! Except we are on our 15th year homeschooling and have tried Calvert, Sonlight, Bob Jones, Abeka, compiling our own, and Alpha Omega. We are now on our 6th year with Rod and Staff and LOVE it. It is the first curriculum we have ever used that has not made me want to rip out my hair from trying to keep up with all the grades at once (this year I have 5, the most I ever had was 7). And as an added blessing, it is affordable, the books are bound well, and most are non-consumable so can be used over and over by the children.

Gushing over!

The other Rachel ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.