Overwintering tomato suckers question

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by kidsngarden, Nov 11, 2006.

1. kidsngarden

kidsngarden Well-Known Member

Brought my suckers inside, they all rooted, but they don't look well. getting yellow, kinda dry. I'm wondering if I shouldn't have them covered somehow to keep in the humidity? We heat with wood and it can get pretty dry in here! Right now the are in a west facing window.

kids

2. rwinsouthla

rwinsouthla Well-Known Member Supporter

I have mine out in my shop which will only get down to 50 degrees or so in the winter, but our winters are really mild. I have them under a grow light and water every other day. They will get pretty leggy and the water tends to make the leaves turn yellow. So.....I have a fan I turn on after I water to strengthen the stalks AND dry the leaves. I've tried to water just the soil, but I think (opinion here) that the leaves need water too to keep dust off and to transfer some water to the leaves. I tend to lose 50% or so during the winter, but by February when I put them out, they are 3 feet tall or so and take off. I usually pick the first mater around April 1st. Takes a lot of space and probably effort but the cost is minimal and the return is high and early.

3. kasilofhome

kasilofhome Well-Known Member

I live in Alaska so it is cold. But I am eating home grown toms from 2 year old plants. They live in pots put with a tile under neath sitting in used but well cleaned out kitty litter pans. In the summer they go out I get blooms but no red toms but plenty of green ones summer is too short for them to turn red. So we only have toms in the winter. When they bloom inside we take a q tip and touch each flower we us the same q tip for the past year. It works that all I can say.

They suck down water like crazy which is why they are in the deep kitty litter box. In march we will cut them back from the tree that they become so as to be able to fit them thru the door.

4. Zebraman

Zebraman Well-Known Member

Hey Guys;I live in Southern Ca.,Venice-And we do not get a freeze Ever.I have had Tomato plants outside that continued to grow all winter and produce fruit most of the year.I also do this with eggplants and Peppers.
    The eggplants and peppers produce even better the second year,but Not the Tomatoes.I was going to post earlier with the other thread but I didn't want the hassle.Theoretically it should work,but it doesn't.The second season tomatoes are small and tasteless.Why this works on eggplants and peppers but not for tomatoes,I don't know.
    The only effective use I have found for growing suckers was to increase robust plants in the same season or to extend the harvest in the greenhouse.
    But why take my word on it.Go ahead with your experiment but also plant from seed as well so next season wont be a complete failure.

5. kidsngarden

kidsngarden Well-Known Member

yes, I plan on doing seed too. I will try this experiment though. I hope you are wrong and they aren't tasteless, LOL!

kids

6. kasilofhome

kasilofhome Well-Known Member

Mine are not tasteless. The ones that are 2 years old are Sweet 100. The other one is just a walmart mid size 10 cent pack that we started. That one does not produce as well as the 100 but the size is nice. The only problem that I have is they are next to the only window (South side) in that room and the plants seem to glue themselves to the glass suck up every ray of sun. I only have the fake sun light bulbs in the house and there are 2 in that room. It is warm from the boiler for the water heater and from the dryer. The dryer is not vented outdoors correctly as there is work yet to be done. Yea I know that last line is hard to believe is a fact on a Homesteading place.

Give it a try for me it was done simple out of stubborness after starting the tom from seed on 1-19-4 and not getting anything but the start of fruit when mr. frosty starting to make his reservation at our place. We only wanted to taste one homegrown tomatoe but the darn thing kept it up. And we had enought tom. for a family of 3 and we did not pay $4.99 per pound for them and they tasted like toms. I will add that the 100's have more flavor than the other one.