Overwintering in zone 6

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Kygardengal, Sep 21, 2005.

1. Kygardengal

Kygardengal Well-Known Member

I have several plants that are considered annuals here but are perrennials farther south. They are mostly hibiscus, mandevilla, and a kind of butterfly bush but not the buddeleia type. They are all in pots. I was thinking either to over winter them in my unheated garage that has lights, or I could put them into the ground and cover well with mulch and maybe a floating row cover.
    I really would like to keep them if possible. I also have 2 huge ferns. I was told by the nursery where I got them, to crop them to about 8 inches, divide them into quarters, and re-pot them, then keep them watered and indoors.
    So, what do ya'll think? Have any of you had any success with this?

2. labrat

labrat Well-Known Member

Gardengal, We're over here in Lexington and we have several Texas Star hibiscuses and some variety of butterfly bush in the ground and we've never had a problem with them rejuvenating. The two varieties of mandevilla we have tried were placed in a 24-inch pot on the deck, but with no luck; they did not overwinter.

I can’t give you any info on the ferns because the ones we have are protected under our holly trees. A few have perished but most do return. These are specifically perennials and we don’t have to worry about bringing them indoors. I would think that dividing, repotting and bringing indoors during what can be a harsh winter for a perishable plant such as what you are discussing would be the wise choice.

3. Kygardengal

Thanks for the reply, I think I will try to divide and re-pot the ferns then take them in around October. The hibiscus and mandevilla????I am thinking of bringing them into the unheated garage, covering the pots in burlap and hope for the best. :shrug: I guess it is worth a try. I hate having to rebuy these every year.....thanks again....

4. rocket

rocket Well-Known Member

There are different types of hibiscus. Some are hardy. If you're talking about the tropical type (Hibiscus rosa-sinensis), take them in for the winter. They do pretty well as house plants but like a lot of light. I tried growing them outdoors here in zone 9. Only about half of them survived the winter and those that survived did not bounce back well.

You might look for an alternative plant that's hardy in your zone. There's a lot of different species with a lot of different common names. Look for things like Marsh Mallow, Swamp Mallow, Rose Mallow, Rose of Sharon, or Althea.

5. Kygardengal

Thanks Rocket, I picked these up locally, thinking I would only have them for
    this season. But I have enjoyed them so much that I'll TRY to save them. I had not thought of just having then indoors as a house plant. Sounds like that might work.