Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
I have a 15 pound Shih Tzu that has food allergies to wheat, corn, poultry and beef. As she is getting older, her patella has been causing some problems so she doesn't want to walk as much as she used to.

I have been feeding her Nature's Variety frozen, which we cook (please no comments about cooking it, I have gone thru this conversation before when she first went on this diet 8 years ago) or canned and a scoop of kibble free ranged which she will eat only when she is hungry...and sometimes not even then. She also gets joint support jerky and freeze dried as treat. Occasional dental chew made from potatoes

She used to eat the kibble wet mixed with the frozen but will not anymore. That used to be more filling for her.
So my question is... what can I use to be more of a filler to keep her from begging for more food to loose and keep off some extra weight.

She does not mind rice when she has runny poo but I am not sure if that will be a good weight control filler. She will not eat raw veggies as treats.

Oh, and did I mention that she is a picky eater?
Thank you for any help and advice

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
I second the green beans. Carrots work also. Substitute the same amount of green beans or carrots with what her regular meal would have been.

·
Premium Member
7,031 Posts
When I had a dog that needed to lose weight, he got puffed rice, and green beans sometimes.

Mon

Reactions: aoconnor1

·
Premium Member
6,491 Posts
I have found that sometimes when you have an overweight dog that is a picky eater, people tend to miss the obvious - they aren't actually hungry and are being fed more than they even want! I agree that canned green beans are a good filler though. But really, its ok to just feed her less until she is thinner and actually hungry instead of just begging for more treats instead of dinner. :)

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought about the green beans and am totally glad so many agree. I will give them a try tomorrow. thank you...
ps. she doesn't like carrots

1 - 7 of 7 Posts