Overshot disappeared

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Nancy_in_GA, May 31, 2005.

1. Nancy_in_GA

Nancy_in_GA Well-Known Member

What is a correct bite supposed to look like, for a goat? Should the teeth hit right in the middle of the ridge on the dental pad, or should they be closer to the front, or does it matter?

The reason I'm asking....

Almost a year ago the vet pointed out that one of my Saanen wethers (10 weeks) had an overshot lower jaw---not a severe case, IMO, but the vet was very grim about it. His bite was the same at the end of last summer, so I was resigned to this.

Checked again last month and his teeth now hit right in the middle of the pad, and he hasn't even lost his milk teeth yet. In fact his teeth actually hit farther *back* on the pad now than all my other goats.

Thought this was genetic and presented itself early. So did the vet, evidently. Now I'm afraid, if he keeps growing in spurts like this, his teeth will be off in the opposite direction!

Nancy

2. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

With him being a wether and out of the breeding program it's really of little consequence, so not sure why your vet was soo grim. As his adult teeth erupt they go forward from the dental pad, not straight up and down. Having a mouth fault isn't just in the very front but lots of times how the molars line up. If bottom molars do not have top molars to grind against, they will sharpen, and then if he looses a tooth when he is older, it grinds against the gums. So a good mouth is important to the longevity of the goats, and their abilities to grind grain and cud as older animals. About 5 you may want to have a vet who does horses, speculum and float his teeth. At least check them. The mini horse speculums they have now work wonderful.

I haven't ever seen a mouth fault get better, like everything things get worse with age. Good luck with your guy! Vicki

3. Nancy_in_GA

Nancy_in_GA Well-Known Member

Thanks for the keywords (floating and speculum). I've been reading all I can find on goats teeth :) Will keep an eye on him.

Found only one article ever mentioning a case where bite structure changed. It said the goat was fed dolomite. Actually it recommended dolomite as a cure for most everything, so am a little leary.

Nancy