Overgrown cucumbers

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by suelandress, Aug 17, 2004.

1. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

Can I pickle cukes that somehow managed to hide from me and became monsters? I know they will be seedy, but if I seed them, can I make spears out of the rest??

2. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Yes, tho they may be punky. If so, just toss em in the compost.

3. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

What's "punky" mean? :eek:

4. Kathy in MD

Kathy in MD Well-Known Member Supporter

It's funky's first cousin......

5. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Sorry, it means the flesh has begun to dry out but hasn't gotten hard. It will be lighter in color than the moist flesh and might have air pockets.

6. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

By golly I found one like that this morning. There is a couple things you can do with a big yellow pickle. Hogs love them. When I was little my folks raised pickles fof the Hienz Company. Most small towns had a pickle factory that bought them. My eariest memory of a hog was an old hamp sow with an over ripe cucumber in her mouth chompin' for all it was worth. The part that impressed me was the sows mouth. The bottom part was a little pointy thing while the top part was big. I was only two.
    The thing the kids done with them was make boats by cutting off one side and hollowing out the seeds. They float like a cork in the horse tank. A tooth pick with a tiny flag on top stuck in the end of the green ship added class to our fleet. The one I found this morning is floating in the hog trough under the barn eaves that the cats drink from right now.

7. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

Our goats eat them too as well as the chickens.

8. Mel-

Mel- Well-Known Member

I haven't been able to keep up with my cucumbers so have had alot extra (and all my family has plenty so they aren't helping!). these two angus heifers of my brothers just turn their noses up at them :(

mel-

9. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Mel, Most grass eating animals love cucumbers. Have you tried cutting them in small chunks for them? My horses will about push the fence down reaching for the next chunk as I slice them off with my pocket knife and hand them to them.