Overdue Pygmy goat

Discussion in 'Goats' started by goatgirl92, Apr 6, 2005.

1. goatgirl92

goatgirl92 Active Member

Hello everybody! I am very new(actually just registered today) and I have a question about my overdue pygmy goat. We was bred in the end of september and its now the begining of april, making her 2 weeks late as of last sunday. Still no babies. She is very, very much pregnant. Her udder is big but not shiny and tight like i have read it is suposed to be. She is very swollen "down there" and there is a lot of movement in the belly. She still has an appetite. My question is, is this normal to go over this far? Do you think i got the date she was bred wrong? Her plug hasnt came out yet. Thanks in Advance! Goatgirl

2. windyhollowfarm

windyhollowfarm Well-Known Member

My guess is you got the date wrong. If she was breed in September she should have kidded in Feb.

Goats have a 5 month gestational period. 145-155 days is considered normal. Before 145 they are premature, after 155 days they are overdue.

What date did you have her put down as being bred? Was she penned with the buck for a period of time or only for one day?

3. goatgirl92

goatgirl92 Active Member

Well, I cant find my calander from last year to find the exact date but i know the due date was suposed to be March 20. Goatgirl

4. goatgirl92

goatgirl92 Active Member

Oh yeah, The buck was in with her until a week before her date. We marked the calander when he stoped riding her. Goatgirl

5. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

my guess she didnt catch on first mounting , for whatever rweason , if she was that overdue there would be no movement , and by now you would be able to smell the dead babies inside her
    i know gross, but heartening in that she is not that overdue, she soudns ready to pop , give her time, shes almost there

6. goatgirl92

goatgirl92 Active Member

Thanks so much fir the helpful replies! I was not expecting such a quick response!!! Well i checked on her today and she was wet around "there". In other words her plug came out. Her udder still isnt tight and shiny. Does it have to be? How much longer do you think now that her plug has came out?? Thanks in advance! Goatgirl

7. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

no it doesnt have to get turgid, this is more often seen with more mature milkiers whose bodies "know the ropes" so to speak

mucus plug loss can be a while before kidding

just watch her , check on her when you feel the need, at least 2-3 times a day , only takes a second

8. goatgirl92

goatgirl92 Active Member

Thanks Bethlaf, I have been waiting for these babies to come since I got my buck(he was only 3 months old so i also had to wait for him to grow older and more mature! UGH!!) and growing more impatient by the minute. Every little sign i so overboard about thinking its going to happen right then and there and i will look in on her and she'll be on the ground huffing and puffing. Ive never seen a goat birth before, only horses. I actually had 2 does bred but one had hers a month early and it was born dead. I found it while i was feeding! Why she aborted it, im not sure, but at least we have this does left. cant wait till we get the babies and i hope everything goes ok. I keep my goats at my neighbors house with my horse and she wants to sell my wether and buck which means no more babies!! :waa: Hopefully i can stall a while until momma has the babies and wait till shes recooped and we can breed her again before the buck leaves. (he was pooping in the horse feeders!! ;)) anyway, ill stop rambling! :haha: Goatgirl