overdue doe

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by jensue, Nov 8, 2004.

1. jensue

jensue Member

I have a doe that has pulled fur 4 days ago and still no babies. She was bred on October 4th. That makes today day 35 I think. This is a new mom. Do I just leave the nest box indefiintely. I initially bred 5 on that morning. One had a litter of 6 on day 32, one had only 2 (dead- very large) on day 33, one had 2 day 34 and then she had another one tonight. The doe I am waiting on is a new mom, this is her first litter. The other does were second time moms. Their first litter were from 5-8 each.

How much should I be feeding them to maintain correct weight when not pregnant? These are californians? Thanks in advance. We raise meat pens for the county fair for the kids.

2. kell

kell Well-Known Member

I don't know about your doe that's still pregnant, but I know that you don't change the amount you feed them when they're pregnant because it stresses them out. I'd keep feeding them the same amount.
    KEL

3. Pat Lamar

Pat Lamar Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, now, although it is entirely possible that the doe is not pregnant afterall, I see plausible reason to give a totally different answer than what Kel gave.

The fact that *all* the other does who were bred on the same day have all delivered late tells me that they are having difficult deliveries... which is a very common problem with fat does! It sounds to me like you may be overfeeding them. As for the doe who hasn't yet delivered.... gently feel her belly, as you should be able to feel if any kits are in there. Highly unlikely that they will be born alive at this late date, although anything is possible.

Rationed feeding should be maintained throughout pregnancy. No increase in feed until after delivery.

Pat Lamar
    President
    Professional Rabbit Meat Association
    http://www.prma.org/

4. jensue

jensue Member

Thanks for the feedback. We have only been feeding about 4 oz of Show Pellets in the evening and about 2 ounces of oats in the mornings. I did go and weigh a few of the does and they were between 9 lbs and 10 lbs. I guess this is too big.....??? These does are between 8 months old and 15 months old.

If I am still feeding too much, what should I be feeding? Again, these are californians........big ones, apparently! Thanks for the help in advance.

Jen

5. Pat Lamar

Pat Lamar Well-Known Member Supporter

The weights are good and in accordance with Californians, but... just like with humans, it all depends on the individual bone structures, even in the same breed. Oats are well known for adding weight, so that may be where the problem is.

Pat Lamar
    President
    Professional Rabbit Meat Association
    http://www.prma.org/

6. dlwelch

dlwelch Well-Known Member

Like Pat said, it's hard to go by weight alone. I have Californian does
    who weigh 10 to 11 pounds and are not *fat*. Were they liberally fed
    prior to breeding? If so, there could be internal fat deposits that
    are contributing to the problem.

From butchering, I have found that our Californians start to lay on fat
    before the NZ will. This seems to be especially true of does when
    compared to bucks.

It's also hard to advise anyone on proper levels of feed. For example,
    on another thread someone said the correct level was 8 ounces
    of feed. If I fed 8 ounces of feed to my bucks and juniors, they would
    become obese! My feed is very nutrient dense. Because of that,
    I feed 4 to 6 ounces of feed to the bucks and juniors. In the summer
    time, I really have to watch their weights to keep them from becoming
    too fat to breed properly.

Good luck with your rabbits.

7. jensue

jensue Member

It is Day 36 now for my first time doe. Will a doe pull fur even though she is NOT pregnant?

Cannibalism - will a doe eat all of her young to where you cannot tell at all if she did have the babies you have been waiting for.

We do have chickens that are close to our rabbit barn, but they have ben there for over 7 months and the rabbits are accustomed to them. Again, they had their first litters back in July next to the chicken pen.

8. Rosarybeads

Rosarybeads Well-Known Member

Yes, she will pull fur even if she is not pregnant, but most likely she will have a dead one. It is very possible she already did and ate it, but if you look in the nest you should see a small amount of blood at least. Chickens shouldn't be a problem, but if the babies were born and dropped through the cage wire, dead, the chickens could have eaten them.