overcharging

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by diehard47, May 25, 2006.

  1. diehard47

    diehard47 Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    111
    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2005
    Location:
    LA.
    Son has a Lincoln DC Arc welding unit with a perkins diesel engine. The battery is being overcharged and having to replace batteries. He now disconnects the battery cable after engine is started. Any ideas what to do about the overcharging?
     
  2. moopups

    moopups In Remembrance

    Messages:
    7,102
    Joined:
    May 12, 2002
    Location:
    In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Install a 13.2 V ballast resistor into the supply line, or a zener diode of the same range (universal motorcycle accessory).
     

  3. michiganfarmer

    michiganfarmer Max Supporter

    Messages:
    6,633
    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2005
    Location:
    Near Traverse City Michigan
    how about checking and replacing the voltage regulator on the engines alternator/generator? There is suppose to be a reglator that keeps the battery charged, but prevents over charging just like on a car engine
     
  4. mohillbilly

    mohillbilly Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    141
    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2005
    Location:
    south west Mo
    I agree, check the regulator, probably is defective, and allowing the alternator to "full field". That means that it is pumping out all the voltage and current it can! That will kill a battery in no time. Use a VOM and measure the voiltage at the battery with the engine running, it should hopefully read somewhere around 13.5 to14.4 volts If its reading above that, there is a problem. Almost for sure that it would be the regulator. Know it aint the alternator!

    Sorry moopups, but aint never heard of a 13.2 volt resistor, they are measured in OHMS, not volts. And while we are on that topic, I DO NOT reccomend the installation of a reisitor or any type of diode into the supply line to the battery, If the alternator is full fielding, it is alost a sure thing that it will set the resistor on fire!!!!!!!!!!!