Over-"using" my bucky boy?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Jcran, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Jcran

Jcran Well-Known Member

I have a 6 month old boer buckling (bd=March 20). Anyhoo, he's been living with two does to keep him company and one is now bred. He is just starting to REALLY smell bucky but he's been a very enthusiastic boy since I got him in July. My neighbor brought two does over this week, and another woman brought one. I moved my two doelings out, but one became SOOOO in heat that I brought her back in for 24 hours. My buck was excited but he didn't do a whole lot. Then one of the does from outside the herd came in heat and he was talking a lot, but not leaping to action. Could I have inadvertantly "pooped" him out with too many girls to chase? Right now there are just the three outside girls with him. He weighs about 125 pounds right now and eats 1 1/2 to 2 pounds of boer goat developer with free choice grass hay.

2. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

Im not sure about a goat but with sheep a healthy Ram can handle 20- 30 ewes. I doubt youve worn him out. He will know when she is ready to stand for him. And they may be breeding when youre not watching.

3. vancom

vancom Well-Known Member

per Storey's Guide to Raising Dairy Goats.

Vanessa
    near Nashville