Over the Fence Chat - wk of 5-16

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by diane, May 16, 2005.

1. diane

diane Well-Known Member

Hello homesteading friends!! I have not started one of these for a couple of weeks. Hubby has been on vacation and we have been super busy around here. The addition is up and fully finished on the outside and we are ready to start working on the inside on rainy days. We spent a few days on the road seeing grandchildren and parents and a bit of time in the woods searching out the morels. Got a real good start on the garden.....as far as we dare go until after the frostfree date. Mostly ready for the new chicks and did some cleaning in the barn. Hope all is well on your homesteads and the rigors of spring's somewhat frantic activities has not left you all worn out ;)

2. NativeRose

NativeRose Texas Country Grandma

Good Morning Diane and the rest of Y'all :)

I really have a full plate today. I have to take my dad to the doctor so he can have the staples removed from his head...Yikes!!!! He is doing really well since his fall and recovery from the hematoma.

I have got to get the rest of my plants transplanted. The tomatoes and peppers are really growing. I will have to do as much today as I can and then get an early start tomorrow as it has started to get hot here during the day 86-89.
    The rain we were supposed to have this week-end missed us and we could use it. I complain about the rain when we have it and when we don't. :no: There is just no pleasing me :)

Have a great day all!

3. Ana Bluebird

Ana Bluebird Well-Known Member Supporter

Here in MO we still have cold evenings---it was 40 degrees this morning! So our gardens aren't doing much except for those wonderful radishes, lettuce and spinach! YUM! My husband and I have a building project too---started last October---why start then? Crazy, I guess. It's a sun room---very nice some day. We're to the wiring part, then need county inspection before we insulate and move on. I injured my thumb brush-hogging so I'm working slow these days. Ended my guitar playing for awhile too. Bet most of you know how I bent my thumb backwards on the tractor? Yep, ducked under tree limbs, caught the front wheel on the tree, whipped the stirring wheel catching my thumb. Could have been worse. Tractor accidents happen soooooo fast. Now I can't possibly cut those tree limbs up higher cause I can't use a chain-saw with one hand---can I?? Have a nice week, you-all!

4. mommymushbrain

mommymushbrain Well-Known Member

I am bumping this one, because I couldn't find another one?

Anyways, I haven't been here in forever! We got our land for our squash farm and have slowly been hand clearing it right now until we come across a tractor deal.

Then there is our own garden right now - it is coming up like mad! My corn is nearly knee high (okay, on little 5'1" me that might not be much... :haha:)... I've spotted a few green tomatoes coming along... my peas have tons of pods... and our own squash is coming out like crazy as well! Our strawberry patch (1st year) is putting off runners and I haven't decided which way I want the patch to go....

We have baby kittens and puppies who are just eating my heart out. I hate to part with them, as they are our last litters. My own supposed cat-loathing husband almost fought me over getting the last female cat fixed... "How are you going to replenish your mousing supply now?" he said. :haha:

I need to get over to the pumpkin contest thingie, as I have a picture of my plants that are growing. I'm quite proud, as this is my first year with them as well.

Other than that, school is almost out for my 9 y/o... that means in less than 3 months my middle child will be going to school for the first time.

We've got our pool set up and I've already fried my grits.... literally. For some reason sunscreen does not want to work on me. I slathered up myself and the girls for some afternoon swimming Sunday... they came away with a healthy looking slight tan to them, while I came away red as a beet and unable to sit down for the next day. And it was SPF 45 to boot! Poor hubby, he was chief aloe vera slatherer for me... he says, "This would be sexy if you weren't in pain every time I touched you." :haha:

Hope you all have been well, I sure have missed the homesteading conversation these past few weeks! :)

5. diane

diane Well-Known Member

I think everyone has either gone missing, are super busy, or like me haven't been able to get on to the forum. For days now I have tryed to get on and not been able to make anything work. Glad to see we are up and running again......or I am :haha: I don't know if it was me or the forum. :confused: We have been working hard here trying to get the garden in. I am always amazed at how far ahead in the season people in the south are. We still had frost a couple of nights ago. I have been putting tomatoes out.....I do have corn up and potatoes, peas and beans.