Over the Fence Chat - wk of 4-4

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by diane, Apr 4, 2005.

1. diane

diane Well-Known Member

I would imagine most folks are getting really busy now that spring is more or less here. It is a bit "less" for us this morning at 25 degrees, but the skys are clear and it should be a nice day to get some of the heavier stuff done outside. Our new fruit trees from Stark Bro's. came and we are digging our "$10 holes". Yesterday afternoon I planted some strawberries. I am having my annual whine about daylight savings time since I hate getting up in the dark.....but I will survive ;) I hope you all have a great week!!

2. Cindy in KY

Cindy in KY Well-Known Member

It's 7:30 and the sun is just now peeking up thru the trees across the pasture out my office glass doors. I took a picture. Funny, I like waking up in the dark, then I have lots of time to work on my websites before it gets light. I am a morning person with my computer. It takes me a hour or more drinking coffee and sitting down to wake up good before I can walk around safely. :)

I am happy I got allot of strawberrys planted yesterday. We got some off Tradio, 200 for $20. But I had to move allot of mulch first to make more beds. Steve got me some rose bushes, I've never done rose bushes before, so looking forward to having some of those. It was cold Saturday, and then warm yesterday. Friday nite I cleaned out our closets, and got 2 big wheelbarrow loads of old jeans and clothes to burn in the woodfurnace. Don't need to keep them for "material" any more. I feel good about that.

We weaned the mini filly yesterday, she did fine. And my lamb Beanie stays out with the goats & sheep all the time now, so no more papers to clean up after her. Getting there. Would love one whole day of just digging in the dirt and moving things around. But it does make me get my other chores done faster so I can work in the garden. The sun is now up over my little metal building and coming in the glassdoor here. Going to be a pretty day today, the gusty winds finially left, don't know where they went, but there gone. :cool:

3. Topaz Farm

Topaz Farm Well-Known Member

Good Morning everybody, :)

Cindy I don't mind waking up in the dark. If I get up around my usual time, 5 - 5:30am, I now have more time to visit here and one other BB. I am a member of a horse BB. There are a couple more BB's that I lurk a bit, just to find out how much I don't know.

At least now DH, will have little bit of daylight when he gets home from work. He doesn't get off until 6:30 now.

We went to eat breakfast yesterday, then to WallyWorld. Came back and Hubby changed the oil in the mower and mowed a little bit. Then we went to get hay unloaded that and he finally got to get some rest. Nothing very exciting at all.

It is supposed to be up around 88 today, I already have my shorts on. Mustn’t forget .... and windy.

4. NativeRose

NativeRose Texas Country Grandma

Good Morning! Whew!! What a wild week-end!! We lived outside. My 2 sons and their kids came over and helped in the garden and the yard. They really made me feel good. They helped their daddy haul rock and sand and cut up and haul firewood to the barn for next year. They worked and worked and worked. Then they went fishing. We are all exhausted this morning. It is beautiful here. It is warming up nicely :cool: I have baby wrens on my porch. I heard them peeping yesterday.

5. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

It has been sunny but crisp here and it is lovely! I whacked weeds around the stepping stones and cleared a path for the meter man. The ants have had a headstart on me and I made note of several well establish colonies that need a good dose of boiling vinegar water. All the bunnies, chicks and ducklings enjoyed a full day yesterday in the "whatever"-tractor (not just for chickens anymore!).

I have an urge to barbeque everynight now and will be able to if I get home by 6 or so. I love daylight savings time. School will be out is less than 7 weeks, which means picnics and swimming at the springs, lake or beach. We love to take dinner to the beach and stay until it is almost dark. Sunsets here are glorious. I hope to can outdoors this year with my new turkey fryer. What did you all plant this year? I only did a salad bar (tomatoes, lettuce and herbs in an old wheel barrow) so far, but may have porch containers before too long as the gardening bug seems to be biting now.

6. Cindy in KY

Well, yesterday outside, the Carpenter bees made their appearance, the wasps too. Also the good bees, the bud bees I call them, are hovering around the peach trees waiting for the buds. Those little buggers don't bother me, and they are good. Saw the Bluebird way up close in my garden. :)

I got 3 new little peach trees coming up under the big peach, and transplanted them to the garden. Still have to dig and move some plum tree babies. Gotta figure out where to put them all. EVERYTHING is coming at once here, spring like all at once.

Rose, that is great you had so much help, such a blessing.

Don't like the time change, it's too late, too fast in the mornings. Gotta fix my brain to get up at 3:30 now. (normally 4:30) Don't think I can do it, I always have a very hard time with this. I am loosing time in the mornings, and staying up too late. How do you make yourself say, be able to need only like 5 hours sleep? Can you train yourself? Is that enough sleep? My body usually wants to sleep 7 hours.

7. thequeensblessing

thequeensblessing Well-Known Member

It's been in the 70's here, clear blue sky and beautiful. It's nice to see our honeybees so active now. There's still only a few dandilions here and there for them, but they still have decent honey stores.

Yesterday we went to walmart and bought some landscaping plants to put around our new home. We planted the holly bushes and hydrangea out in front and then put a little blue spruce out to the side of the house. We still have a couple of lilacs to put in, and then we start on the orchard!
    We also burned a huge brush pile we've had since construction days, so it's nice to finally be rid of that ugly thing!

Cooked hot dogs around the fire last night while we watched the the huge crimson sun set like a ball of fire in the west. Then came the good part--marshmallows!! Was really a nice night.

8. NativeRose

NativeRose Texas Country Grandma

Birds singing, bees buzzing and two different kinds of woodpeckers making such a joyful noise. Tree frogs are calling for rain. It is cloudy and 60's here but not supposed to rain. It is soooo green such a beautiful spring green color. Spring is definitely my favorite time of year.

Two of our cows are about to calve. My youngest cow Honeysuckle Red is going to have her first baby. I name all of our cows. It is such fun choosing names. Honeysuckle Red is reddish and I found her under a red honeysuckle bush where her mama put her. We have Valentino, born on Valentine's day. Mickey Mouse whose mama is Mouse because of her color. I am so silly about naming the calves. Jim, hubby just laughs and lets me name them what I want. We haven't named one hamburger or steak yet :no:

thequeensblessing I agree there is nothing like fire roasted hot dogs and yummy marshmallows. We had cookouts with our boys when they were young. I am looking forward to doing the same with my grandbabies. They have to get a little older though before we can let them around campfires.

Cindy in Ky I am with you. This time change is hard to get used to. My hubby gets up at 3:30 to get ready for work. That is the old 2:30. Then when he gets home he wants to work until dark outside. I don't know how long he can do this.

Have a great spring day all! Rosemary

9. Cindy in KY

Dona, be careful with those landscaping plants, most of the decorative Yews are poisenous to stock. I love lilacs so much, mine is starting to bud. I've got to figure out how to take cuttings off of it. I've had it over 15 years, moved it to this farm, and it's pretty big. Smells sooooo good.

10. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

:dance:

I got my asparagus planted!

:dance:

My 80 year old MIL and I did it, with a little help from my 12 year old daughter!

We must have been a sight: MIL cannot get on her knees, I cannot stay long on my feet (I have MS), and DD did the running for us and put some of the roots in the holes.

Did you know that you can use a grubbing hoe while on your knees? Works pretty good, too! :p

We plalnted 50 roots. And, they were SO! much better than the roots that I have seen! 100 roots weighed 35 pounds. Those were some BIG roots, and in perfect condition! I got them through Morgan County seeds in Missouri.

On the down side, this spring has been unusually dry, and there is a good chance the plants will need watering until they are established. (I planted them on our 5 acres in the country.) I will either have to buy a pump or haul water. :waa:

But on the GOOD side, I think my new meds are helping: a month ago I could not have worked nearly as long as I did yesterday. I planted 2 yours yesterday and one hour the day before! :D

11. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

The sun is shining on the hill today! It feels like it's in the 50's already and it's still early in the day. After I fed the animals, I decided I'd put together the top for my haybale coldframe. I'm just using some 1"x2" boards I had here, and making a frame to staple plastic on. I think it's going to work fine. I have lots of lettuce ready to harden off, but it's too soon to actually plant out. There are two assembled deep supers sitting here, waiting for a coat of paint, then all I have to do for the new hives is build the platform.

I have a hen here with bumblefoot. She's in a crate on the table, not a very happy girl. I cleaned the foot and put ointment on, and she's had two doses of antibiotics so far. Poor hen, and this malady does not have a very good prognosis. And she's my favorite hen.

My brother will come on Saturday for an overnight visit, that will be very nice. We don't see each other very often, and we are quite close. He's going to help me with a few things, stuff that would take me forever to do alone. We're building more raised beds and setting a post for the new solar fence charger (and maybe make a couple gates and clean the chicken coop if there's time).

Hope you all get lots done and enjoy nice weather.

12. Topaz Farm

Jan boiling vinegar water will kill an ant hill? I have red ants and a few hills are in places I don’t want them. Is there any particular formula?

Horses have been fed, still need to tend to the chickens. Gave Gin her second dose of strangles. Finally got it up her nose, hope she got enough of it, after she sneezed. Then took the shedding blade to her, and the birds are gonna love me. Got lots and lots of hair off her. Right now she is standing in the stock, learning some patience....... I hope.

The guy that said he would ride her for me, until I can ride again, is supposed to come out today. Yippeeee, he only came once, I thought he gave up. I guess he was waiting for the weather to get better and the time to change.

Don’t have a lot of time, I have to keep an eye on Gin. Though I think she will be ok, just don’t want any wrecks.

13. wildwanderer

wildwanderer Momma, Goatherder etc....

The arkansas ozarks are great. We got almost all the rocks removed from the garden plot. Figured this weekend we moved about 2 tons of rocks. Now my dear mother has to put them into her walkways. We got the first lettuce coming up in the cold frame.
    Saturday we got our first chickens!!! Four little pullets who are just amazing to watch. I bought them because one had that pasty butt thing and I couldn't bear the thought of her dying there in the feed store, now I have to find 2 more so we have six. Now I feel like we are really on track, my dad finished a house and hopefully we will be totally on solar by the end of the month. Except we are having trouble finding the right plug inverter for the pump. The days are very warm suddenly and the road has been graded so its really looking up.
    As for daylight savings this is the first year it has felt like such a difference, hopefully this means my body is hooked more to the sun then my alarm clock these days. So all continues well and I am excited.
    Next weekend we build the chicken palace so when my little ladies are ready they will have a nice place to lay some protein.
    Take care everyone --- Thea

14. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

Topaz Farm:

The old wive's tale is to pour boiling water on the ant hill between 2 and 4 pm as that is when the queen is most likely to be available. So I add boiling water to my vinegar bucket (after I use it to swab the tile floors) as they supposedly really don't like vinegar. As for a permanent cure, either they rebuild or some of their buddies take over the same area eventually (I can't tell, they all look alike to me!).

15. diane

diane Well-Known Member

Cindy, I have tryed to get by on less sleep and I always end up sick. Funny thing is that before I had Mono back in 1980, I never EVER slept more than four hours and I always envied people who could sleep. Since than I need seven hours.

We have been having wonderful weather......temps in mid 70's. Getting things planted.......strawberries and fruit trees and some grape vines. Can't spend enough time outside to suit me after being in all winter.

16. Cindy in KY

7 hours is what I slept last night. Steve tried to get me up at 4:30 when he was leaving, but there was no way my eyes would open. I remember him trying, but I could not do it. I didn't fall asleep early enough. So I slept from 11 to 6. Sky is allready getting light in the east.

What is up with these spinning storms? Another one is coming, now right down at the western line of KY. And its spinning again. Usually we get storms that are a straight line north to south, sweeping east. Looks like it might be here tonight, if it hold together. It is just really strange.

That's wonderful Diane, feels sooo good to be out in the warmth. I got some planting done also. I hope your good weather keeps up.

17. Topaz Farm

That titmouse is up and at it bright and early this morning.

Since I can’t ride until June and Gin is green broke, someone I know is going to ride her on Tues and Thurs to keep her remembering what she has learned. But it was just way to windy yesterday. There is wind then there is wwiiiiiiiiiind. We had wwiiiiiiiiiiiiind yesterday. And it is blowing right now. But it isn’t supposed to be as bad today, only 35mph instead of 40mph. Maybe he will come Thurs. hope so anyway.

Still no garden, not even an attempt at one. Took the tiller into be repaired, so far haven’t heard a thing from them. I think I’ll have DH call tomorrow. Maybe it can’t be fixed and we will have to get a new one.