Over the Fence Chat - wk of 4-18

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by diane, Apr 18, 2005.

1. diane

diane Well-Known Member

Good Monday morning to my homesteading friends!! We have had a week of the most lovely weather, but I have to say it is getting pretty darn dry. It is almost time for morels here and there sure aren't going to be any without some rain. :waa: The first of my tulips are in bloom now, along with the daffodils, and along the brook we have Marsh Marigolds in bloom and Hepaticas in the woods. More and more of my songbirds friends are returning. We have all the new fruit trees planted. Hope you all have a great week!!

2. Topaz Farm

Topaz Farm Well-Known Member

We ate Sunday breakfast out yesterday, then took a load of stuff to the recycle bins. Got home in time to feed my Girls their noon meal. Then it was time to take Gin to the breeder. DH couldn’t rent the stock trailer that we usually get, he had to get a two horse. Sure didn’t know how this was going to work out since she is used to a stock trailer. But after eyeing it a bit, she put her two front feet in and in a little bit she reluctantly got the back feet in. Since I don’t have a trailer for her to practice backing out, she wasn’t so sure about it, but she is a good girl and didn’t give me any trouble.

He forgot that I told him that I wanted to breed her to the Doc Hickory stud. We are going to breed her to the Blue Roan Hancock (15.3 hands). I told him that was fine, but that it would break my heart if I couldn’t breed May to him next month. I am going to need everyone to help me with positive vibes all next year, that I get a filly. Told Hubby if we get a filly we are keeping her for sure.

When DH came home Sat. with the rented horse trailer, he had two luscious pear trees. It is a start. The weather forecast calls for rain all through Wed., if it isn’t pouring down today, maybe he can get them planted.

I believe our resident wren is building on the back porch, much to my Mother’s ismay. She has a hummingbird feeder and a wren box right out her window. The wren built there for the last two years, I guess maybe they want a change. We have a roofed back porch, and the poles (I am sure there is a better word for them) are metal. We noticed yesterday that a titmouse was building in one of them. I don’t see how the nest keeps from falling all the way to the bottom. ne year a titmouse built in the pipe of a pen we had, the babies got too hot and didn’t make it.

3. Cindy in KY

Cindy in KY Well-Known Member

Hey Girl, been waiting for you to get up! :D So glad you're having good weather up there. We dry out fast between rains too here. It's glorious springtime, seemed to come on exploding like all at once, everywhere. Over the hills all the trees are sending out their new leaves. My lilac is almost blooming. Bees, bees and more bees. The Redbuds are purple in the woods. Dogwoods will be next. Steve and I had a wonderful weekend building our barn. I didn't even get on the computer!! It's the barn we got for free last fall, and we're putting it up right off the front porch, and the ponys will have windows to put their heads out facing the porch. I got the hard job of pulling all the OLD nails out of all the boards, but hey, for free, can't complain too loud. It sure looks neat I think. Baby filly is great, so pretty. I need an Indian name for her that means, yellow or buckskin, or runs smoothly, etc. Yellow pony which runs smoothly. :D Here's the pic of our barn.

[​IMG]

4. Cindy in KY

Hey Topaz, saying goes that Apple Cider Vinegar in the drinking water will get you a girl, and baking soda in the drinking water will get you a boy. :) My ponies have Apple Cider in their water tanks, just a little, and so far I've gotten 2 fillies. It's good for them anyway.

5. NativeRose

NativeRose Texas Country Grandma

Good Morning All! It was a busy week-end here for us. We were trying to get ahead of the rain predicted for this whole week. We finally got the area for my pea patch plowed. I told hubby that if we didn't get the peas in this year we could just have the area ready for next year. It may take me that long to clean out all of the bahia grass. I hate the stuff.

Our our cows are having bull calves this year with exception of one. I guess it is a good thing as we sell the bulls to pay for feed and taxes. Our small herd is growing finally. We haven't had any losses. I am keeping an eye on one of my heifers as this will be her first calf.

It is so pretty outside this morning I hate to think that more rain is on its way.

I won't get anything done around here as I am going to my son's today to keep my little granddaughter. She has had a virus and they don't want to take her to the lady that keeps her. She is feeling better. They were here yesterday and she kept saying "num" which is her word for food. She hasn't been able to eat much since she was throwing up everything. By yesterday evening she was eating "nanners" and toast. Poor babies don't you hate to see them sick with viruses and things.

Blessings all,
    Rosemary

6. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

Mornin' everybody! Yes, we've been having incredible weather in NY, but we really need some showers to get the grass growing. Poor sheep and goats are still on hay, as the pasture isn't doing anything.

I'm going to be getting all my frames for the new hives assembled today. I have a friend with a compressor and nail gun who's volunteered to do it in exchange for me picking up his new bees along with mine in early May. It'll be a relief to have them finished.

Transplanted 100+ lettuce seedlings into a raised bed a couple days ago, and seeded beets, sugar peas and snow peas, chard and rutabagas, and planted a couple rhubarb and a patch of red potatoes. Built 2 more raised beds, and have the lumber here for 6 more. I'll call to arrange delivery for topsoil in the next few days. It's going for $16 ton, and I think with 6 tons, mixed with bedding and the existing garden soil, I should be able to fill all the remaining beds. I hate the idea of buying dirt, but if you could see my ground and it's abundance of rocks, you'd understand. I hope to sell produce this year, and so far I'm right on target.

I've been playing phone tag with a woman who shears sheep, but it looks like she will come in two weeks and shear my ladies. Another load off my mind.

Everybody have a safe and happy week!

7. Helena

Helena Well-Known Member

I have never "tapped" into this thread before !! We also have had lovely weather in this part of northern PA. Afraid to say the word..rain..in case it starts and won't stop but could use a shower or 2 also. Have some early peas planted, lettuce plants and onions. Our main garden stays wet longer than I would like and always say..I'm going to do raised beds..but here is another year. Do have my seedlings started and the greenhouse is cleaned and ready to go too !! Goats are kidding and that means spring is really here in the mountains finally !!! :) Have to make myself get out of this house today and do some outside work. Don't know about all of you but sometimes I get stuck doing housework and the day passes.. Have to remind myself of the long winter days and the dusty house will be here later in the week when I have time off again. Sometimes I think how nice it would be to have $$$ and not have to leave the homestead to make $$$ to keep us going. Guess you can't be beautiful and rich !! :haha: Also need to call the farrier out to get the horses done..and the vet too for them. Spend time with one of our does that lost her kid this morning..she even looks sad..poor doe. :waa: The bulbs are beginning to bloom too and have to remind myself how very fortunate I am to have a little place like we have. Sometimes we don't know how lucky we all are..need to stop and take in this mountain view and thank the Lord for all of his blessings !! Enjoyed visiting..all have a wonderful week !!! :)

8. Cara

Cara Well-Known Member

I had to look clear to page three to find the fence this morning! And all just to say, I have a good way to look at your life differently (if you do the video thing)....watch Cheaper by the Dozen. My 12 year old and I watched it last night and at one point looked at each other with the same thought....our lives aren't crazy at all! I have no idea how that movie made it at the box office....it's way too family oriented and shows how it's GOOD to sacrifice your own wants for the good of your children. It's still a movie, but it is vey entertaining and happy.

So now I am off to my NOT crazy life with only 4 children (30 chickens, 11 goats, 13 cats, two dogs and llama.)

9. Topaz Farm

can’t start the tiller. So, was going to do some mowing but couldn’t start the easy start mower. Looked under neath and there is weeds wrapped around the blade. Going to let DH do the cleaning.

But, got about an hours worth of horse training done while I fooled with the tiller and mower. Saddled, my 3 yo and put a bit in her mouth and let her stand tied for about an hour. The 4yo is at the breeders.

I have been trying to get in a routine so that I can get inside, outside and horse stuff done. I am not having much luck. Since, I can’t till or mow I really really need to do some inside stuff. But I have a bad case of *don’t wantas*. :D

We are having some beautiful but too warm days here. 80's is too hot for April.
    But, we did get some good rain this year, and I do believe that my trees are thicker, more leaves, well, anyway I can't see my driveway. We are going to have to get a driveway alarm so I'll know when someone comes. Sometimes the dogs let me know, but then there are those few times that they don't.

We sure have a happy mockingbird hanging around here. Love to listen to them and the red birds. But, I haven't heard my whip-o-will mockingbird, and don't think I heard him last year. He sure surprised me one day when I heard a whip-o-will in the middle of the day. Come to find out it was a mockingbird. :D I miss him.

Cindy...Hey Topaz, saying goes that Apple Cider Vinegar in the drinking water will get you a girl, and baking soda in the drinking water will get you a boy. My ponies have Apple Cider in their water tanks, just a little, and so far I've gotten 2 fillies. It's good for them anyway.

Hey, Cindy do you think it is too late to put the baking soda in May's water? :D She is due around May 5th.

10. diane

diane Well-Known Member

Hi Cara......thanks for the movie recommendation..........I will have to put it on my list!! We have been having really unseasonably warm weather here and now they are saying that winter is coming back...........they even used the "S" work and said we could have an accumulation. :grump: I have strawberries and some trees in bloom and a great deal of my tulips are in bloom. Guess I had better go take some photos if I want to enjoy the tulips longer.

We have been having an addition put on our small house. Just having the framing in done and we will do the finish work. It is so exciting as I will now have a very large walk-in pantry and room to have my grain mill set up all the time with my buckets of grains. Our family has gotten so large that our small kitchen/dining area would not even begin to seat just one family along with us anymore.

11. Cindy in KY

Exactly the same with me Topaz, I just don't wanna do stuff inside at all, and I know I have to. It's gotten too hot too fast here too. All my little plantings are not happy. Having to water my garden too. We were supposed to get some rain last night, and then tonight, but it's staying away. I think the baking soda is supposed to be in the water before & during & after conception. You want a colt from her? I am waiting on a filly from Alex...... :) She's the closest one in that pic.

I am mad at all the carpenter bees. I take the leaf rake, and knock them out of the air, and squash them. They are drilling holes in all my buildings & house. They are guarding all my doors & front porch & new barn like they own it. Every time I get 2, 4 come to take their places. But, those 'boy' guard bees can't sting, only the queen up in the hole, so I got their numbers. They are bad this year, everyone says so around here. I'm going to have to get spray at Walmart, even though I don't want to.

Oh no Diane, no snow. That would not be funny. Here said maybe a frost later in the month. I hope not, I don't have that much old hay & no straw left. My lilac is in full bloom, smells sooooo good. The trees have just about filled out the leaves, walnuts are last to spring out, after the Maples. Order goes, Pear first, Forcynthia, Peach, Apple, Redbuds, Oaks, Dogwoods, Maples & last Walnuts. I was watching this year. :)

12. Cindy in KY

Wow...what a storm we had. We just had very strong winds, and rain, and a little lightning, but nothing serious. Power is out for some in town. Temps went from 80 to 40 when the front came thru. Supposed to be 47 today, but it's a tad chilly right now. Strange for sure. Funnel clouds on the ground way north & way south of us, but everything ok here. Lots of trees down in Louisville again, some roofs torn off and allot of big hail up there. I am very thankful everything is ok here. And Thunder of Louisville is this evening....

The buzzards & barn swallows were doing dances in the cool air drafts right after the storm yesterday evening...they were playing up in the sky. Maybe 40 buzzards, was really neat to watch. I'm so thankful we got some rain.

13. diane

diane Well-Known Member

Glad you are o.k. there Cindy!! We had a bunch of wind that brought in the cold.....mid 30's right now, but nothing violent. I am so hoping that they are wrong about the snow that they are predicting. I simply can not picture 6-8 inches of snow :waa: I am grateful for the rain though......things were dangerously dry here. So, now when it warms up we will be in the woods looking for mushrooms!! Hope you all have a great weekend!!

14. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Morning folks! This is the longest I have ever seen this thread! We must all be waking up with the spring. I saw and heard about all the lovely weather and you all are planting this and that. I am so jealous! We still have 10 inches of heavy wet snow from the last storm that came through. What is not snow is deep mud so I have given up on cleaning floors for a bit. My baby fruit trees (planted last fall) have not even begun to bud yet and now the raspberries (from British Columbia) have arrived and need planting but the ground is still frozen and I cant get the rototiller to start! Yikes - should not have left gas in it over the winter. But I am not telling DH I am just gonna get it started myself somehow. No time for lectures today, the sun is shining for the first time in a week and I am getting the green house ready to plant. Have a zillion baby plant growing on all the windowsills! Nice to hear from you all, now everyone go outside, look up at the blue sky and shout "Thank for letting me live this life"!

15. Cindy in KY

Did you get snow Diane? It was so cold here in the house we had to go out and hook up the hot air arm from the outdoor stove and start a fire! Thought I was done with it for the year. Ahhhh, warm again. Up to 50 something today, 60's tomorrow. No big frost, thank goodness. I have to clean my house this morning..... :( It is a mess, and it's my fault.

Maybe Steve can finish getting the roof on his new pony barn, he's got 3 or 4 metal sheets up so far. Every time the sheep are dry enough to sheer, they get wet again. I have to get them done this week for sure. I am trying to wean the bottle lamb, and it is soooo hard hearing her yell for me. She goes out with the others in the big big field, and she is fat and does not need a bottle anymore, but tell her that. She is such a sweetie.

16. Topaz Farm

Cindy....I think the baking soda is supposed to be in the water before & during & after conception. You want a colt from her? I am waiting on a filly from Alex

Wish I had known about this a few months ago, at least give myself a fighting chance for the colt. :D hahahaha Good luck, hope you get your filly. Glad you got some rain, Cindy and not much of the storm. So far, we haven’t gotten any of the rain that was predicted.

We had a busy day yesterday and not a bit of it with horses. Which reminds me, didn’t call and check on Gin. She is at the breeder, we were going to breed her to an own son of Doc Hickory, but changed our mind and chose the Blue Roan Hancock Stud.

First we went to town and ran some errands and bought groceries. Came home and planted 2 pear trees, and fig tree, some yellow squash, and some zucchini (mostly for the chickens). Today we have to plant the tomato plants, the blackberry bushes (ummmmm blackberry cobbler) and the butterfly bushes.
    [​IMG] What is the name of the butterfly that looks like a monarch?

GS went to feed and water the horses yesterday afternoon and reported that we didn’t have any water. Checked all the hoses and he checked the house, no water. Went to check the faucet down at the garden area, and it was busted (time 6:30 pm). [​IMG] Who did it ?
    Wasn’t me, [​IMG] Must have been GS [​IMG] (points finger to GS) Nope, wasn’t me [​IMG] Must have been Poppa he points finger at his Poppa [​IMG]

It is fixed now (after another trip to town) and Not Me still hasn’t fessed up. :D

It was chilly yesterday morning, but warmed up to be a very pleasant day. It is very chilly this morning and not going to be so warm and might even get some rain.