Over the Fence Chat - wk of 4-11

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by diane, Apr 11, 2005.

1. diane

diane Well-Known Member

We are having some of the most lovely spring weather you could ask for!! I have almost lived outside for the past week. The new orchard is really coming along and this week we put in a new strawberry and asparagus patch. The daffodils are in bloom all over the place and every day another of my songbird friends returns. The bluebird box in the garden has 5 eggs in it!! I planted one of my EarthBoxes with greens Saturday. They are so easy to do with my back troubles that I am looking at the south deck and wondering how many boxes it could hold :rolleyes:

2. Topaz Farm

Topaz Farm Well-Known Member

Diane what is an earthbox? I wish the bluebirds would nest here, maybe they would if I put up a box for them. But mostly they just seem to pass through. I did see more bluebirds this spring than has been here in the past.

Sat we played musical cars. Daughter brought me the car, took her home then went out to the base and got the truck and left the car. Went to the feed store and got 2 weeks worth of feed, made a couple of other stops. Got Hubby a sandwich and went back to the base and shared the sandwich for lunch. Then went grocery shopping at the commissary. I bet that basket wasn’t 3/4 full and I still spent $180. And I only got 2 convenience foods, a package of chicken tenders and one chicken fajitas.

Also picked up the tiller from the repair place, maybe just maybe I can get something planted.

Sunday we spent 2 hours hand grazing the Girls. We kept Gin, Lena, Cameo & May on leads, but turned Candy loose. We know Candy won’t act stoooopid and run off. We don't have perimeter fencing. Can’t trust the others, well maybe May.

Then Hubby put a new faucet on my kitchen sink. The old one leaked and he tried but couldn’t fix it, now I won’t always have a wet counter top. Then he cooked burgers on the grill.

We have NW wind blowing today and it is chilly. *sigh* Guess I’ll do what I can do in the house.

Yesterday while we were grazing the horses we saw 6 turkey hens (on neighbors property). This morning I saw one in our yard. I threw out some chicken scratch down where we saw them yesterday, hopefully they will come over here some.

3. mommymushbrain

mommymushbrain Well-Known Member

Wow... it's been over three days since I visited the site! It was so nice these last few days, I spent most of it outside. Of course, that means the inside of the house went to the dogs... I mean, children... :haha: And with last night's rain, I will be "stuck" inside today cleaning.

However, with all the outside time I've had, so much has gotten finished! Finally finished putting in the garden - even got my pumpkin seeds in for the contest around here, along with hubby's "cute" comments... planted a whole bunch of pine trees given to us by Arkansas Forestry friends, mowed and weed-eated for the first times, and got my first sunburn.

I just love this time of year! :D

4. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I picked up a few dimestore plants today. I have enough for just one row...if I squeeze a bit.

I promised myself that I was NOT going to overdo due to my not being in good health this spring. JUST ONE ROW.......Hard to remember right now!

I got a 6 pack of tomatos, a 6 pack of peppers, and a 6 pack of broccoli, and a 6 pack of cabbage. Half a row of summer and half a row of spring.

And, since the un-dug carrots should bloom (I only ate half of them), perhaps a few zinnias planted along THAT row to set off the white flowers, no work in THAT as I can just mow along the row.... :rolleyes: :haha:

Maybe the kids would like to plant some corn and melons. They will have to tend it, though, cause I won't.

5. NativeRose

NativeRose Texas Country Grandma

Good morning or almost noon here all :)

It came a flood this morning. Must have been over 2 in. and now the sky is clear and the sun is shining. What weather!!

Got a lot done this weekend. Mowed and got the pea patch almost ready.
    Hubby put up 10x10 canopy for me and moved my planting table under it so I won't get sunburned and some of my plants can adjust to being off the porch and outside. I transplanted my multiplying onions and my great grandmother's 100 year old garlic.

On top of everything else we are bottle feeding a calf that couldn't nurse its mama. The little thing is blind and we almost decided to put it down but changed our minds. We are going to raise it for meat.

I pray all of you are having nice weather and not over doing it as I did this weekend. Hugs and Blessings, Rosemary

6. diane

diane Well-Known Member

7. Momo

Momo Well-Known Member

A beautiful day here!

DH has been mowing and painting. He alternates so he doesn't get bored (or too sore from using the same muscles a long time)

I have been sorting out paperwork and keeping my shredder whirring. I also did our taxes. Thank goodness that's done.

We are supposed to get rain tomorrow and Wednesday so will try to get alot of outdoor stuff done this afternoon.

Hope everyone has a great day.

8. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

Fabulous weather here ( I like the heat!). Took my kids and some of their friends to Blue Springs State Park yesterday. Ah, the young willl swim no matter how cold the water is. They jumped in with no qualms. I read the Sunday paper. We all had a great picnic.

Gardens are blooming here. Everything seems to be birthing. The new calves are so sweet. Saw an "It's a boy sign" on a nearby stable. My daughter got a new kitten (my neighbor was grateful as all 3 of her mama cats had litters). It is only about a month old and absolutely adorable. She named her Avril.

Hurricane season is only 6 weeks away.

9. Cindy in KY

Cindy in KY Well-Known Member

Hey All, wonderful weather here! Friday-Sat-Sun was perfect. A bit warm, up to 80* yesterday, but wonderful. So much going on, we have a new mini filly baby, a girl! I put her pic on the Equine forum, go see her. She is just a doll and we are both so pleased Tonka's first was a filly. :)

I got all my red raspberrys planted, I traded with Randy in MO, and made nice raised rows for them out of black mulch from last year. I still have quite a few little trees to move around. The weather is cooling off a bit this week so that will be perfect for that. Have to finish planting the roses and flowers. I'm so glad it's just April, we still have lots of time before tomatoes & other stuff. The grass is growing fast now, and I haven't mowed at all yet, been to busy.

Steve did great this weekend, he moved the horse pasture fence down 60 ft from the yard so we had room to work, and we got the barn posts all put in and started framing. It's the free metal barn he took down last fall, going up! It was 24 x 24 and we are putting it up 37 x 12, all along the edge of the front yard right off the porch. Each side will be 16 x 12 with an asile in the middle. We will roll the big rolls of hay right down to the end of the asile, and the ponys can come in both sides and eat hay out of the middle. Will be so much easier for feeding and an end to wasted hay. Plus it's under the big Oak tree shade there so it'll be nice and cool in the summer.

I loaded up the big wheelbarrow several times with horse doodie (Steve had to push it for me) and put it on all my trees around the yard. Looks so nice. My big rabbits that run loose did eat a few of my newly panted purple Pansy flowers off, but they left the plants. I need little fences around the flower beds. I love the rabbits running loose, so not so mad at them. One big spotted lop ear goes up the porch steps and eats dog food with the cats, and the big grey one dumps over my bucket of sweet feed to get his own. :) Maybe storms here today, rain would be good, just don't want that bad weather.

10. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

It is expected to snow here tonight.

'nuff said!

11. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter

Snowing here now, about two inches on the ground. I've got the tiller all tuned up and ready to go though. Next years fire wood is all cut and stacked in the woodshed and three gallons of maple syrup has been processed.

12. Topaz Farm

Diane thanks for the link to the Earthboxes.

It sure is different this morning from yesterday morning. Yesterday in the early am it was in the 50’s this morning it is 39. I suppose I shouldn’t complain about 39, when some you are still getting snow. But, Yeah, for the weather man, he says that we will just have 5-10mph wind today, and up around 77. Hope he is right, I have some things to do outside.

As soon as it warms up a bit, outside I go. I have 4 horses that I need to do some work with. Also, need to walk over the spot we have picked out for the garden. I know that there are some sucker rods laying around there, from when we bought the land. Then I need to mow it.

13. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

We had a beautiful weekend here in central New York. My brother spent both days with me, and he was such a big help. He worked so hard and never complained a bit! Actually, he was thrilled to be out in the country, surrounded by critters and blue skies and fresh air.

The garden was dry enough to rototill, and we got two huge beds finished. The lumber was delivered last week for several new raised beds, so we got them cut to the correct size and carried out to the garden. I called about topsoil ($16/ton, delivered), and am still looking for mulch for the walkways. I planted sugar snap and snow peas, chard, beets and rutabagas. It's really too early to plant out much else. I transplanted another 72 lettuce (Romaine) into 6 pks. I need to start another flat of lettuce seeds today, to keep things moving along.

The biggest thing we accomplished was getting the animal buildings cleaned!! The chicken coop wasn't too bad, only 5 wheelbarrows full. The sheep/goat shed.............every bit as awful as I expected it to be. 18" of bedding, now in two mountains inside the garden area, where it will set until late fall. I'll spread in then and till it into the beds in the spring.

Now if I could find someone to shear my ewes. You all have a great week!

14. Jo

Jo Well-Known Member

Hilltop Daisy.....When I did my raised beds, I filled the boxes first with leaves and grass clippings and them put in the soil and add manure.We only used a few inches of soil and we had a great garden the first year. Just wanted you to know before you ordered a lot of dirt. I love my raised beds. We even have a drip system to water them. When I first start the seeds I water by hand with a hose. About every two years we add more dirt, leaves and manure.
    Also in the winter I cover the beds with black plastic, keeps the soil nice from year to year.

15. NativeRose

NativeRose Texas Country Grandma

Good Morning All.

Since the 2+ inch flood Monday I have been trying to get outside and do some things. The sun is shining but it has been chilly. Topaz Farm it is a little colder out your way. It was in the 50's here this morning and is supposed to warm to the 80's today.

I was out yesterday checking on some of my trees and found my ash tree full of huge squash bugs just waiting to get at my garden. Our winters here are just not cold enough to do away with the bugs. I am already seeing grasshoppers and worms and caterpillars all over the place. I am going to have to mix up some of the organic recipes or find some organic products to spray. I hate bugs!

We also have critters. Coons were having a convention here the other night. You never heard such racket. They were fighting and fussing and the next morning I was shocked at all the tracks in our driveway. I will be fighting bugs, coons, deer and possums for my veggies. The war is on!!!

The calf I am bottle feeding is doing a little better. It looks like one of his blind eyes has cleared some. We are going to have to get a nurse cow. My pet cow just wouldn't take him. He can't see well enough to find her udder anyway.
    Our own calves are doing fine. My dad just does not want to care for calves with problems. For every calf of his that Jim and I save it becomes ours. So we have now added 3 calves to our small herd of 10.

I am going to be transplanting some more things to the garden later today. It is supposed to be sunny and warm through Sunday so I hope to get a lot done.

Blessings, sunshine and balmy days to you all.
    Rosemary

16. Topaz Farm

NativeRose yeah, we woke up to 37* yesterday morning, but it didn't take long for it to warm up. Right now I think it is about 79.

I had another phone line put in today. Talked to the phone guy while he was here. He said that when he was a kid out here in the 60's, that there was always snow and ice. Lots, not like now, just a little here and there. If he is remembering correctly that is a lot of difference in the weather from then to now.

Raised Bed Question what kind of boards do you use to make your raised beds?

I was pretty busy yesterday. While I started cleaning Candy’s pen, I tied Gin (4yo) and Lena (3yo) to the Patience Poles. All the time I was out there Gin was pawing the board that I put down so she can’t paw a hole. After about an hour of scooping, and dumping I had to come to rest my back. I kept an eye on the girls, and Gin quite pawing. Seems like as long as she can see me, she wants my attention.

Later I brushed Cameo (yearling) some and picked up her feet.

Then had to work with May some. She is due her shots and coggins Friday. And she is a real pill about the shots. So I rubbed and with an empty wormer, and *stabbed* her a few times with it. Should be out there again today, but just don’t have the energy. Sit back and relax the story is below.

I only got 4 hours sleep last night and the reason is......

When Hubby came home, he said ooops forgot the water. So, I go with him to get water, and he goes to cafe to get something to eat. #1. It took forever for him to get his meal. Come home, I get out of the truck and get the lawnmower from where I left it. He stops at the horse pens, to put a panel where Gin and Lena have mangled the fence. #2. I start toward the pens and see Cameo in the pen with Gin & Lena, Oh cr*p she jumped the divider fence. NOT!! OH HECK, she knocked down the part where the water tub is, it is shared by the two pens. The fence there is at least 5 1/2 ft, and maybe just a little taller with two 2x6’s at the top.

Neighbors are out, so I go and ask if they saw what happened. Oh yeah, the little boy didn’t close the gate and Fancy and the donkey got out. Not so bad, it happens. #3, Thinking he is helping, a 15yo neighbor boy drives the truck over and tries to herd the horses back, while neighbor goes gets feed to bribe them. Looking at the tracks he drove around out in my field. (nothing planted), and looks like maybe he spun the tires. Well, something panicked the heck out of Cameo (yearling) to make her go over where she did. :mad:

And this is the neighbor that threw an absolute fit because my dog was on his property chasing a coyote. He claimed that my dog was chasing his horse, there was not a horse in sight. Him ranting and raving that his mare is in foal. This is the neighbor that didn’t bottle feed the foal correctly when Fancy rejected it and it died. This is the neighbor that let this maiden mare foal out in the pasture.

Hubby gets the panel up and fixes what Cameo knocked down. I get her back into her pen and as best as I can see in the almost dark, she is OK. We get back in the house just about time to go to bed. I go to bed and am wide awake. #4, reminder don’t drink two glasses of Dr pepper so late in the evening. I am not a big caffeine drinker, so I sat up until 1:30 am.

Hubby kisses me bye this a.m. around 5:15 and tells me that half my cats were out. He got them all in but two. Slim is easy he came to the door. So that just left Elsie, who has been outside once since we got her, and it scared her witless. Now she is out for the second time and scared witless. But we get her in.

The dog knocked the screen off the window, no he didn’t just knock it off, it is bent. We didn't notice it last night. I was about to get mad at him, but Hubby said don’t, it was probably all the commotion with the loose horses and whatever went on with the truck.

Well, *breathes a sigh* I got that off my chest. :D I am not usually so long winded, and don’t rant and carry on so.

And Cameo is fine, she only has a couple of small scrapes. Could have been a whole lot worse.