Over the Fence Chat - wk of 3-28

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by diane, Mar 28, 2005.

1. diane

diane Well-Known Member

Good Morning homestead friends!! It is beginning to actually be spring here in southcentral Michigan. The birds are singing their happy songs in the morning and you can smell the dirt warming. There are a few snow piles left in sheltered areas of the woods, but beyond that you can see the ground and a great deal of the mud is starting to dry up. Our dirt road is passable again without fears of sinking axle deep in a mud hole. Life is good!!

2. Cindy in KY

Cindy in KY Well-Known Member

Yipee Diane! Your spring is coming! I heard the Meadowlark Saturday whistling :D Yesterday & ALL last night, we got 2-3" of heavy, heavy rain and thunderstorms & lightning. OH MY, did it rain hard. :eek: This storm is swirling in a big circle. Last year was the wettest on record for KY, and allready this year we've got over 3" so far. We are just up and down here, warm one day, and chilly the next. Had to light the woodstove yesterday morning, and it's going to be 70 tomorrow. Saturday I had the windows & doors open and the house airing out. But it looks like a big warm up here starting tomorrow, except for a couple days in the 50's. Today is 56 & flooding! I am so thankful I live on top of a big hill.

3. Chris in PA

Chris in PA Well-Known Member

Here in SC PA, it is raining. Same storm as in KY. But the forecast for the rest of the week is great. I may actually get to open my windows. Now, working in the garden will have to happen a bit later so the ground can dry out from today's rain.

I have managed to get the peas and onions in, so that is a start. The summer crops that I can start inside are started .

The chicks are growing so spring really must be here -

4. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

Here in north Alabama it is drizzly and colder today but we've had some beautiful weather lately. I have English Peas up in the garden and the two types of cabbages, head lettuce, Romain lettuce, and onions are all growing great. Can't hardly wait to plant some warm weather crops but I know I must or they won't do well. I do have some herbs growing in flower pots on the windowsill in the pantry room. They've done better since the 26 baby chicks are in there with their heat lamp and cardboard box, keeping them room toasty warm!

5. Irish Pixie

Irish Pixie Well-Known Member

We have songbirds in upstate NY. It's raining to beat the band right now and we have a flood watch until tomorrow afternoon. The mud is incredible.

Kady left today to back to VMI after spring furlough. We had fun, but it's always hard after she leaves. The house is too quiet. I cry a lot.

Kady, DH, and I went to NYC on a bus trip Saturday. It was fun, we walked forever, and have finally figured out the subway. I loved Chinatown, and have found a new favorite place to eat- Artie's Deli on Broadway. Wow! I had a corned beef reuben that was huge and the best I've ever had.

Hopefully, the mud will dry up soon and I'll at least be able to think about tilling the garden. I do have all my seeds already, but DH wants to add potatoes this year so we'll have to expand the plot a bit.

Stacy

6. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

Pouring rain here in southcentral New York. We still have a fair amount of snow, but the rain is melting it fast. I've started lots of seeds for the garden. I'm planning on selling at a farmers market this year, and with no greenhouse, I have pots of seeds everywhere. I've started 6 varieties of lettuce which look excellent, 8 different kinds of tomatoes, 4 of eggplant, lots of herbs and a few flowers. Are you familiar with Nicotiana? They are the most heavenly scented flowers I've ever smelled. Maybe I'll get the plastic on the two hoop house/cold frames this week. I should be able to plant lettuce in them in a couple weeks.

I have to place one more order with Dadant's for bee equipment, and then I'm set for the arrival of two packages of bees in May. I wish I had thought this through a little bit more before I started buying bee stuff. It's one of those "hobbies" that costs a fortune up front, and it takes a while to see any income back. Well, I guess there's risk with a lot of the projects we undertake, like the 14 fruit trees I've planted in the last 2 years. I recently found a source for BlueGold Blueberry plants, so I'll be adding a half-dozen to the existing blueberries. So I'll call Dadant and Miller Nurseries this morning, and that's done.

I've always had the mindset of getting my land to provide several streams of income, but lately it's occupying all my free time. I think that's because this will be the first year that it's actually going to happen! Hope you all have an excellent week!

7. NativeRose

NativeRose Texas Country Grandma

Good Morning All :) The sun is shining and it is currently 59 and supposed to get up to 78 today. Last night it was 45 here. It rained yesterday so we are still soggy here. The sun is shining now and the sky has no clouds that I can see.
    The birds are singing like crazy, the trees are making leaves and pollen lots of pollen everywhere. Thankfully, pollen doesn't bother me but I know a lot of people suffer from allergies this time of year. :(

Butterflies and bees are all in my yard. The spring flowers are blooming. Bluebonnets,cosmos, paint brushes and wild garlic and onion flowers. I love the colors of spring.

My tomato plants are still waiting to be planted out in there beds but it has been too wet and too cold to plant them yet. I am so impatient to get things planted. :)

Today through Wednesday it is supposed to be nice here. Prayerfully no rain will stop me and hubby from getting the rest of our square foot beds planted.

Have a great day all. Sunshine and warm smiles. Rosemary

8. Topaz Farm

Topaz Farm Well-Known Member

It rained Sat and Sat night :( Sure wish Hubby had gotten that weed-n-feed. :(
    But guess what else it did Sat. night, no...that’s wrong......wrong again. It NOWED!! :eek: Not much and it is just a few patches here and there, but it is still snow. That makes the second time since we (well Hubby, I wasn’t here yet, just for Easter) that it snowed on Easter. That first time it was a good 18”. The grandsons had lots of fun hunting eggs in what was left of the snow.

Since we don’t have anyone young enough to hunt Easter eggs anymore, for the last few years we have grilled steaks. I finally told my grown kids that I wasn’t doing the full blown Easter dinner anymore. It was up to them from now on, and I didn’t care what they decided on to cook.

We weren’t sure what we were going to do Sun. but the weather turned off really nice and we were able (or they) to do the steaks.

I hope spring is here to stay this time. It is warm out with a not too hard south wind blowing.

I had to take mother in for a Dr apt, so I took the tiller to be repaired. Hopefully they won't take too long. I would like to at least get something planted. We have had a hard deciding on the best place for a garden. I think maybe we have finally agreed on a place.

I have a question about fruit trees. We are wanting to get an assorment of fruit trees. Apple, pear, and pear for sure. It is alright to plant them all in the same area?

9. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Just sitting here in southwest Montana watching it snow, again. Snow is good, I know, and I am glad to see it but I really wanted to start planting! Guess I will stay inside and do housework instead :(

10. diane

diane Well-Known Member

Topaz, everyone I know plants all their fruit trees in the same orchard.

11. ruester

ruester Member

Mid 60s today here in SW Ohio. Best weather in weeks. River's in flood but settling down. Crop of kids played outside today, except for our new seedling... :cool:

Mushrooms will pop this weekend if the weatherman is right. We're selling our house right now so the gardening bit is off. Hopefully we can get into a place with a little dirt soon enough to fire up a good patch. If not, my brother has some land and we can got to town on that.

Seed catalogs really are of the Devil. They get you thinking and dreaming and your mouth watering..... Cant get my wife to SHUT UP about how good these tomatoes look on page 8.... :eek:

Welcome spring..... I missed ya..

12. NativeRose

NativeRose Texas Country Grandma

Good Morning All :) I have been up since about 5:00 couldn't sleep. The birds started singing at 5:45. They were early this morning. It is going to be a beautiful day today. Sunny and warm. High about 85.
    I am watching a squirrel build a nest in the oak tree out my east window. I know what it thinks. It thinks this is the best place to view my garden and scout out future tomatoes and other veggies :haha: I am going to have to do some squirrel proofing.
    It is supposed to rain Thursday but clear off for the weekend. Hopefully, hubby and I can get some things done around here. Maybe it won't rain Thursday. :no:

My DIL(I wish there was another word for DIL, my DIL is more like a daughter) is going to have her wisdom teeth removed Thursday and I will be staying with her and babysitting :D with my little granddaughter who was 12 mos. old yesterday.

I really wish I could get some of my plants transplanted today. My great granny said not to put tender plants in the ground before April 15 since our Texas weather is so crazy. Hot one day and snowing the next. We seldom have a true spring it just goes from freezing cold to burning hot in a matter of days. Just listen to me whine. :no:

Have a great day! Rosemary

13. Topaz Farm

Topaz Farm Well-Known Member

Hubby started his 12 hour days 6 days a week today. That means that we will have some $$$, but it also means that we won’t get much done around here. That overtime puts us up there, and Uncle Sam sure does take a big bite. I always think what I could use the $$$ for that he gets.

Been thinking about stuff that I can do, and leave the hard part for DH. Since we have new easy start mower, I can mow. Besides the stuff that I normally do, I guess that is about it.

After DH left for work my dog started barking at about 5 or little after, so that woke me up real good. We have been sleeping with the window open and heard the yotes a howling.

The Girls (horses) have been fed and the chickens tended, now I think I’ll start making my wish list, ummm, let’s see, fencing supplies, new dishes, fencing supplies, saddle, new flatware, fencing supplies, saddle, new pots & pans, fencing supplies, saddle, ..............

If it get up around 78, stay sunny with little wind I hope to get at least two of my Girls bathed
    today. I also have to get the tax stuff together for our tax guy.

14. mommymushbrain

mommymushbrain Well-Known Member

It is soooooooooo windy here today, but nice and sunny. I went out this morning to "peek" at the garden... I saw some corn sprouts, got so excited to come back inside and tell someone that I slipped in the mud and fell on the row of tomatoes! Yeah... I squished it pretty good.

My middle child goes in to the pediatrician this Friday for her kindergarten physical. I can't believe she'll be starting school this fall.

Hubby has started in 6 days a week/10 hour days... we're due to get our chickens in two weeks, so guess who is hammer and nailing the new chicken coop? Turn your head and it is level, I swear... :haha:

15. diane

diane Well-Known Member

It is windy and spritzing today, but yesterday was so wonderful I am not complaining. We did have strong winds, but since I was cleaning off the flower beds it was actually a help. I raked and it blew them down where I wanted to burn the rubble anyhow :)

My hubby starts working longer hours also as the weather gets nicer. I have always enjoyed working with tools....building and fixing.......so I actually like it when he is not right there saying "I can do that".

16. Cindy in KY

Cindy in KY Well-Known Member

It's been beautiful here, 70's yesterday, high 70's, 60's today and 50's tomorrow. Funny huh, but still really nice. One of my girls had pups so I got all caught up on the websites while I was watching her in my office. 8 puppies. She is doing great, spoiled. And, the second 70* day of the year, I was again IN the goat barn cleaning it out. :( Why is that? Beautiful outside and I'm in the stinkiest building on the farm. We had so much rain, that the goats had to stay inside for a few days, and got their floor filled up again. Had a huge pile to take off to the garden. We will not be short this year on poop-hay for the garden, that's for sure.

Pear, Peach & Lilac's are budding ever so slightly. You can see pink. Saw flies and a couple BEES today. Seems so funny after winter to see flies. All the itty bitty weeds & clovers are coming up fast. The pastures should really start growing with all this rain we got. We are going thru allot of hay, so that will be nice to be able to stop haying so much. My Beenie Baby lamb has stayed out in the goat barn in the baby stall with the kids, and she is doing great! I go out during the day to the pasture and holler for her 'Beaner'!, and she comes flying to me. :) I really like having a lamb of my own. She is getting huge, I've got to take some pics of her. I've been putting goats milk in her bottle, and her little tail just wiggies so fast. She likes allot.

Tomorrow is April Fools Day!

17. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

Our fruit trees are blooming....

One of the last two remaining roosters died(old age I think-he looked like he was asleep)...

The weahter has been nice but started raining again today...

We have been going to the gym and wlaking,riding and doing other healthy 'stuff'....

Ordered the new kitchen cabinets to get this house ready to sell...

And best of all today we recieved our septic permit!!!

One step closer to moving.

Woo Hoo!!!!