Over the Fence Chat - wk of 3-13

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by diane, Mar 14, 2005.

1. diane

diane Well-Known Member

Good morning!! We are having a sunny morning here in south central Michigan and even though the temperature is down to 5 degrees and we have snow on the ground, it is beginning to sound like spring with the Redwing Blackbirds calling and the Sandhill Cranes starting to stake out their territory.

In the "old days" on Lucenet someone always started an "over the fence chat" thread where we could chat about our homesteads and share our lives. I have been starting them over on GC, but not many folks from here go there :) so I decided to try it here as well.

I am impatiently waiting for the weather to break and grateful that we decided not to tap the maples this year as it has been so cold that the taps are freezing. It has given me some extra time to do some sewing. So........what's happening in your neck of the woods???

2. Topaz Farm

Topaz Farm Well-Known Member

We have had some very pretty days here, one day got dang near 90. But it has dropped back down to the low’s in the 30’s and highs in 60’s. Which is as it should be at this time of year. Of course, being that we are in West Texas and it being March we are getting the wind. The north wind was blowing hard yesterday.

We still have 9 meat chickens that need to be butchered. I need the pen for he new chicks that I have in my bathtub.

Other than that not much going on here. With having to fence in a chicken yard and build a hen house and DH working overtime (6 days) I just don’t know if we will get a garden in. DH says that we are at least going to plant some squash for the chickens to eat.

I have to go feed the Girls (horses) and tend to the chickens. I also have to take Mother into the Dr today, so I guess I had better get going.

Diane I think I like Over the Fence Chat on the Homesteading forum.
    Thanks.

3. NativeRose

NativeRose Texas Country Grandma

Thank-you Diane for starting this thread. I needed some chat time with out fear of reprisal. Topaz Farm the wind was wild here in the Huntsville, Texas area as well. My hubby, Jim took a three day weekend so we could get some things done around this place. He ran a new gray water line for my kitchen sink and DS helped (thank goodness) as it was quiet a chore hand digging the line. I repotted my tomato plants into larger containers. Weeding the collards bed was wild. I found about 60 new collard seedlings which I transferred to "cat litter" boxes :haha: :haha: I bought about 10 cat litter boxes at the Dollar Store so I could use them as cheap planters. They worked well and when I get the garden area finished I will transfer them there. My DS cut down 3 trees that needed to removed to give more light to the garden. They were leaning anyway and we were afraid they would fall. I am so sore. I used muscles that I haven't used since last year. But it feels good. I am 53 years old and can still wield a hoe a shovel. I can haul 50 lb feed bags and do just about anything around here that needs to be done. That makes me feel good. Diabetes hasn't totally ruined my life yet.
    I truly enjoy this site and learn constantly from all of you. Though I have lived in the country most of my life and grew up the daughter of a horse trainer on two different ranches and have gardened most of my life I still learn, I still need advice and encouragement. We are never too old, to learn, to live, or to spread our wings and fly. :)

4. Cindy in KY

Cindy in KY Well-Known Member

YIPEE! Glad it's here on the Homesteading forum! Cool but dry weather here. Steve brought me home tons of junk for my garden this weekend, from an old barn that they SAID we could raid. :) Huge tractor tires, for flowers, neat, neat old metal stuff. I am really easy, bring me home 2 truck fulls of neat junk, and I'm thrilled.

I got my wood cookstove going outside yesterday, smokin up a storm. I need gaskets, but I had fun none-the-less playing with it. It is in my outdoor kitchen, and I will cook outside this summer. (that dosen't mean I learned how to cook, all of you who know me know I can not cook) That is why Steve got me a truck load of free Hostess the other day. :D But I am going to try to do better.

Still got baby lamb & kid in house, pretty attached to them. All is well, even though we have a few more cool days to deal with. But no snow or rain. I saw 2 bluebirds on the wires a few days ago. I gotta lot to do this morning so I'll write later, alligator.

5. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Well, it is spring here in Kansas.

OK, what if it DOES frost most nights! Picky, picky, picky! What COUNTS is that as long as you are moving you do NOT need a sweater! 55 to 70 degrees during the day! Wonderfull!

We are tidying the yard, and I have promised the kids $5 each to help me with the burn pile. I want a SMALLISH fire, so they will be helping me take branches off of the big pile and putting them on the fire. I suspect it will be an all-day job. The fire is laid, but I will need the fire department to OK it before we burn. That is simply the way things are, now.

My DD has moved gravel around the base of "her" tree, and has set up a planter and a couple of plastic chairs for sitting on. In a few more months she will lose ALL interest in the back yard, but for now it is lovely out and the dafodils are budding.

I never did finish pruning the blackberries. Oh, well, such is life. :eek:

6. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

Spring is here! We played hooky Saturday and went to the fair. One kid rode every ride while the other kid parked herself in the agriculture pagoda and played with all the baby animals.

I had hoped to drag the rusted wheel barrow over to a flower bed and plant a few things in it, but as usual time got away from me. The duckling did get to swim in the kiddie pool in the sunshine, so he's a happy chappy. The bunnies and chicks got to play in the grass inside the kennel. They'll be in there permanently soon. We'll move it every few days so they have fresh pasture and we have free fertilizer.

Easter is this coming Sunday...are y'all ready? How many serve ham and how many serve lamb for Easter?

7. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

Howdy Everyone! I'm on vacation from the paying job this week :dance:

We still have a foot of snow here on the hill, temps in the 30's during the day but well below freezing at night. I've been reading old gardening mags, reading a couple of market garden forums, and running my hands through my seeds. I've ordered a lot this year, because I've been accepted as a vender at a local market, and I will be selling to the healthfood store where I used to work.

I plan on tilling up a section of mowed yard and planting corn there this spring. It was kinda dumb of me to waste so much time cutting grass out there anyway. May as well use it for something productive!

I started some seeds already..........6 types of lettuce, red and green cabbage, a bunch of herbs. It's a bit early to start tomatoes. I have half a dozen types of winter squash seeds, and the same of various eggplant, just wanting to try a few different things this year. I figure nothing I grow will go to waste, between the narket, the store, and me and all my critters. I baked a squash for the chickens a few days ago and they loved it!

I wish I could get outside and do *something*. I trimmed all four of the goats hooves yesterday and moved some hay around. I keep telling myself that all the planning I'm doing is work, but it's not the same. I've ordered rough cut planks from the guy up the road for my new raised beds. I've asked my brother to come help me till and build the additional beds. He is so excited that I'm growing to sell, he's willing to do anything to help out. He doesn't work a regular job, just odd jobs, enough to get by. He's moving into an old house soon, and has millions of questions about sawdust toilets and such. It's been fun talking with him about homesteading.

I love the Over The Fence Chats! I remember them back when I was still living in an apartment in the city. My life has changed drastically. I'm 47 and single, so I know about hauling 50# bags of feed and pounding fence posts. It's darn hard work, but I love it!

8. stanb999

stanb999 Well-Known Member

Here the late winter temps. Highs in the 30's, Lows in the teens are keeping us in on most days still. Of course now with the thawing ground we will have mudd for the next month. But the crocus will be up in the next 2 weeks. So spring is on the way.

9. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Here in northern MS it's a sunny day, which is nice since they predicted 40% chance of rain...and that usually means it rains. Saturday was so nice despite the wind that I had to get out and start working in my garden.

Not much planned for today...HA, yeah right. Today is hubby's only day off from work this week. He said he'd help me in the garden, but then he remembered he has to get the car worked on today. The transmission is going out. That'll probably take up his whole day unless he just drops it off. I think he's wanting to go to Lowe's and I need to go to the grocery store, but will probably put that off until tomorrow morning and go early before he has to leave for work. Gotta take a dog in to be spayed in the morning too.

LOL...here I am talking about what I have to do tomorrow, not at all concerned about today!

10. Topaz Farm

I am back from town, (I really don’t like going to town), and I see that ya’ll have been busy.

Since it seems everybody is giving away their age, so will I 58 and Hubby 60. But, I won’t tell how much I weigh, at least right now I won’t.

I used to heft those feed bags too. But 2 years ago one of my horses knocked me down and my arm is just now getting better. Then, I fell off my 3 yo right after Thanksgiving and my neck still hurts. Told Hubby if he would put the bag on my shoulder I could carry it, but he won’t.

Cindy I am so jealous of your junk. Just bet there are all kinds of things that you can do with it.

I would like to have an outdoor cookhouse with a wood burning cook stove. Just don’t know if I’ll ever get it. It would also be used for BBQing.

Jan when I was younger we always had a BIG Easter get together with all the works. There were 16 grandchildren so we had a huge get together. Most times 300-400 Easter eggs were hidden. Then we grew up and moved further away. We would try to get home for Easter sometimes. While my kids were little we hid eggs and had the big Easter dinner, and we did it for the two grandkids. But, now everybody is grown. A few years ago, I told my 3 grown kids that they were responsible for Easter dinner. Whatever they wanted, just so long as I don’t have to cook. So, most years we have steak cooked on the
    grill.

The east wind is blowing and it is pretty cold. I had plans on using the new hand dandy easy start Troy Built lawnmower that my Hubby just bought. I could not start the old one, but I can this one.

11. Cindy in KY

No Jan, Easter is the Sunday after this coming one....you gave me a start. We are all planning on going up to Louisville THIS Sunday for the big Cluster show, agility dogs running wild...hundreds of Border Collies under one roof! Can not be Easter. I had to look on my calandar. Whew.

Topaz, a few days ago my dogs dug up an old, old huge chain, used by a team for dragging logs. That puppy is heavy. It's now displayed on my front porch, so I can show it off. I just love old stuff. :) I also get lots & lots of real arrowheads from the dogs digging their holes & tunnels in the summer. They flip them out on top of the ground. My hill is full of Kentucky blue flint, and I imagine this is where the Indians came to make the tips. I even found a big spear tip when planting a tree in the backyard once. Now when the dogs get a good deep hole going, I move them aside, and search for stuff. They knew mama was happy when I was dragging that big long chain out of their yard. Good dogs! :D I am still searching for my chunk-o-gold.

12. Cindy in KY

Golly, our chat was down 4 or 5 pages allready. Where is everyone? Talking about guns? :)

We have a new lamb, a black ram with a white cap on his head! Just like the little girl. Now I have a new ram to keep. Spring is here today!! Going to be warm from now on.

13. Topaz Farm

Good afternoon everybody.

Cindy I bet that little lamb is cute. One of my neighbor's son has a lamb. Just like Mary, he/she follows him every where. Even likes to ride in the truck. I think he thinks he/she (not sure which it is) is a dog.

It was very dreary here yesterday. But today the sun is shining. It was 29* this morning and should be up around 69 today.

I want to share my short and silly dream with you.

Me leading a horse.

Hubby: What kind of horse is that?

Me: It is a Paint Orpington working farm horse. :eek:

I guess that happens when you have both horses and chickens and don't know which one to dream about. :D

14. Thumper/inOkla.

Thumper/inOkla. Well-Known Member

We had a frost last night, but everything was still covered with remay (row cover/frost blanket) and the wind is a blast today. But the sun is shineing and the grass is starting show in the pasture, there's a baby goat in the barn and puppies due next week and the lettuce, spinach, onions, etc are looking good..

I just got a call form a another Master Gardener from my class and she wants me to come and do some work for her, as payment she is going to treat me to the M.G. tour and lunch this month! I get to help her do stuff I really enjoy anyway, and get a expences paid day in the city! Cool huh! :D

15. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

Cindy:
    I gave myself a start, too, then all my coworkers set me straight. I probably would not have had the girl's outfits near ready if I hadn't been a week early, however. Now I just have to grab sandles for them and we'll be ready NEXT Sunday!

It's been raining mostly for 2 days now. All gray skies and gloom. My youngest is 10 today (St. Patrick's Day) and I have to host a party for her and 7 of her closest buddies tonight. This year it will be at the mall....I'm getting wiser!

16. diane

diane Well-Known Member

:haha: Funny how a couple of new prolific posters on a board can change the whole flavor isn't it Cindy. Yup, been talking about guns, rocks and various other things to occupy my totally impatient mind. Snow remains on the ground, I have a cold and I am in a major FUNK :eek: But, I know this too shall pass and before I know it I can be out playing in the dirt. I envy everyone their babies this time of year. I need to raise some replacement pullets, but I am going to wait until later in the spring to get them.

17. NativeRose

Cindy in Ky I hope you find that chunk of gold. As for me I find the arrowheads fascinating. I have some which we found along with some pottery shards near our family cemetary. I will be giving what I found to my little granddaughter who is Cheyenne-Arapaho(her mama Sandy is Cheyenne-Arapaho) and Cherokee,Choctaw and Lenape from my side of the family. I want her to know her native heritage and culture.

Topaz Farm What on earth did you eat for supper? They say that what you eat can affect your dreams. :haha:

I got to 68 here today. We did have a frost last night. The sun has been shining all day and the ground is drying out. Now if we can miss this next storm system maybe just maybe I can get things planted. My collards are doing great and I am going to have a lot of them. Hubby came home from work and is out dragging limbs from the trees we cut down to the burn pile. He comes home and immediately heads outside to play with his pet cows or do some yard work. He is inside all day in that nasty machine shop and loves the fresh air and freedom. I let him :haha: stay out until dark.

We will be having a big Easter celebration. We decided to celebrate all of our March birthdays on the Saturday before Easter. There will be 6 of us celebrating our March birthdays. It is also my anniversary. Everyone wants a different cake. :haha: :haha:

Have a great evening y'all.

Rosemary

18. momofmany

momofmany Dayenu farms

colo-Dado! As my enthusiatic 4 yo calls it.
    What a blessing to find this chat. I always love to hear people talk about how pleasant life is, the simple things are the best.

Cindy-I also am envious of the new 'junk', It doesn't take much to make me happy either. My mom always has her eye open when she comes across junk piles for things I would use. My 20 year old brother thinks this is just awful :)
    One day he may learn to understand the treasure we see in other peoples junk.

And the out door kitchen...I been dreaming of one for a while now. Looks like the closest I will get this summer is an old but nice sized oven that even has a built in fryer set up under my big covered back porch. My outside kitchen will be right outide my kitchen :) I am really looking forward to it, since we don't have AC and turning on the oven in the house is no fun.

We got chickens for the first time and in the next weeks we will begin building the chicken coop, and run. My husband is away from home about 60 hours a week so I handle all the building that needs to be done. I look forward to the time I will get to spend with my 7 year old boy doing the building type things.

My 9 year old daughter is in 4 h for her first year. She is doing chickens, cake decorating and sewing. She suprised me the other morning by letting me sleep in and making a banana bread for the other children by herself. When did she get so grown up?

We got out today and the children helped me do more work in the yard to make it a nice place for us all. The also had some time to enjoy the 'new to us' swingset the Lord provided for them through a family who's children were grown.

All and all, I feel the tired one feels from working hard. I know that I know that I serve a good God, and that I am in the best hands. My children are healthy and happy, and I am blessed with a good husband. That is how things are going in my neck of the woods.

19. NativeRose

Cindy Where did you get a wood cook stove? I would love to have one. An outside kitchen here would be great as the gas stove heats my small house up like a furnace in the summer. I have looked at some in the Lehman's catalog but the prices are too steep for me. My boys are going to build us an outside grill out of some fire brick that they got in trade for tearing down an old shed for a man here. But a wood stove would be nice. I would love to learn how to cook on one. I have heard my mama talk about the one at her grandfather's house.

20. Little Bit Farm

Little Bit Farm Active Member

Well I had the guy oput to do the tractor work las tSaturday, and then went with Thumper to pick up a goat on Monday, and I have been sick ever since. All that beautiful tilled soil just sitting there, and I am inside nursing a horrid flu! :waa: So basically I am sitting around feeling sorry for myself, and watching everyone else in the family have all the fun! My poor 13 year old has had to take over all the milking, and I am sitting on the sidelines.

Little Bit farm