Over Loading Pickups

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by big rockpile, Oct 30, 2004.

1. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Me I always load my Pickup Level Full with Fire Wood,figure its about a Half Cord which is plenty.

Well I sold a pickup here while back the Guy wanted to make Payments of $50 a week.Been like Pulling Teeth on getting my Money.

I'm learning what happens if you want to over load a Pickup.He is hauling a Cord of wood per Load on it.Tearing the Truck up,so when he has to work on it I don't get my Money. :(

We have a Contract on it,but I went to the Courthouse on it basicaly what they told me I would have to do like I'm doing.There isn't any way to get money out of him faster.

big rockpile

2. 65284

65284 Well-Known Member Supporter

Hey Big R,

Do you have a lein on the truck or just a contract? You should have included in the contract a "due in full immediately" clause in case of a missed payment. Then the first payment he missed go and get it.

3. Nevada

Nevada Voice of Reason Supporter

Usually with a contract purchase between private parties the seller keeps the vehicle in his name and requires insurance. If you signed the title to the buyer without designating yourself to the DMV as the lienholder then you have little recourse.

The contract should be enforcible though. However, it sounds like you have a provision in the contract to suspend payments in the event of a breakdown. Therefore he may not be in violation of terms of the contract.

The bottom line is that proper use & abuse of the truck is subjective. In order to convince a judge that he is abusing the truck you will need convincing proof, preferably photo proof.

4. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

It's pretty crazy to try hauling a cord of wood in a pickup. That's overloading it and likely undo the main leaf springs eventually, so I'm not surprised of damage he's doing. You might point that out, and convince him that you've never hauled more than a level bed load or otherwise damage is imminent. You'de think he would want the truck to last a bit longer in his own interest, besides the fact he save repair money to pay you for a deal in good faith.

good luck.
    :)