Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering can a person fix sausage in a oven instead of having to heat up a skillet? My wife doesn't want to fix me any so thought I would fix it in oven if can.

·
Always Thinking
3,296 Posts
My MIL does that. She puts sausage patties on a small broiler pan - the fat drains away as it cooks, reduces splashing. She bakes them at 375 degrees. Not sure how exactly long ...about 20 minutes.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Sure you can. I do bacon in the oven too! Just easier when you are doing large batches.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Just remember, if you are doing sausage in casings to poke them with a sharp fork or the tip of a knife so that they won't "POP".

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
That's unnecessary. I routinely cook 10 or 15 lbs. of sausage in casings per full sheet pan and I've NEVER seen a sausage pop. When I cook my own sausage, I'll often pierce the casings to let more fat drain from them, but it's not because I'm afraid they'll explode. Now in the microwave, that's another issue...

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone. I wouldn't been fixing my own breakfast this morning but wife had been sick all night so had to fix my own food :-(

Did fix the sausage but let it bake to long was a little dry. So done a few more patties and they turned out better.

Thanks for the help. Will be doing them like that for now on.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I always cook sausage links as well as bacon in the oven. Cook at 350 degrees. You can do scrapple also. I cooked breakfast at my local Moose Lodge for nigh on 30 years, and the members always loved it.

·
Premium Member
3,025 Posts
How is heating up the oven better than heating up a skillet? :shrug: Actually, stovetop cooking uses a lot less energy -- certainly less propane, I don't know about electricity, but I assume so. I guess I don't see what the advantage is...

·
Registered
250 Posts
we oven fry sausage and bacon. then I drain em well, pat dry, pkg and freeze in amts we will use for a meal. It all gets cooked at once, less propane used, and makes a fast meal come together easily cuz you can pull from the freezer and nuke it to heat up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts