Oval Cookstove

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Debbie at Bount, May 3, 2005.

1. Debbie at Bount

Debbie at Bount Well-Known Member

Have the money almost saved for a new Oval Cookstove from Leymans. Plus its our 25th so I think my husband will do it!!! Have the book by Jan Cooper on woodstove cooking. I have never cooked on one, is this going to be hard. anyone on this forum use one and own one?
    Thanks,
    Debbie at Bountiful

2. Helena

Helena Well-Known Member

Not familiar with the name of the stove you are getting but cooking on a wood stove in not hard. It's like anything else..you will just have to learn. Kitchen cook stoves have a "personality" of their own and together the 2 of you will work it out. Just don't get upset with yourself when you fill the kitchen with smoke the first few times. The book you have is excellent and in fact if I find any at book sales I buy them to give to new homesteaders. Will your have a water tank ?? Mine doesn't and wished it had..they are nice to keep water hot. I can use wood or coal in mine so that is good for me...makes the fire last longer over night. Good Luck with your new "adventure" in cooking. I often laugh at my kitchen.. on one wall is the cook stove..the other the 1920's propane gas stove and in the corner is the little microwave oven. !!!!

3. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

Herself wanted an Oval for many years, but when we did make our purchase she chose the smaller Sweatheart to save space. Herself has cooked on a woodrange for most of our near 3 1/2 decades together, and her mother cooked on one while Herself was still at home.

They are not hard to get used to, but they are different.

Three things Herself must have to be really happy workng with her woodstoves: bone dry wood, the cook wood must be split to no larger than 2"X2" pieces, and she absolutely my have Birch bark, or self-lighting charcoal for starting fires.

Two or three self-lighting charcoal bricquets sure do make firestarting a breeze.

4. Debbie at Bount

Are you pleased with the Sweetheart? It is also a consideration of ours. Because of space too. Do you have the reservore on your Sweetheart?

i can't get to Leyhman to personally look at the stoves so I have to decide by pictures. Rather expensive purchase to make by a picture!

any information you may have about the difference between the stoves let me know. Is the Sweetheart about the size of a regular stove and oven combination in a house?

Debbie

5. PJM

PJM Active Member

Before you order look for a Margin Gem. (do a search for a dealer) Far better quality, much better built and quite a bit cheaper. I was going to get an Oval for myself, then found the Gem and liked it a lot more. I don't want to say anything bad about the Oval or the Sweetheart, because they are a good stove - But the Gem is just that much better.

There have been threads on cookstoves before, so check the archives here.

6. tamilee

tamilee Well-Known Member

Hi Debbie;
    CONGRATULATIONS! I have wanted one of those stoves for YEARS! Are you getting the one with the water reservoir? What color? Are you going to use it year round?
    I don't think it will be that hard because you have waited so long and really want the stove. Post a picture when you get it installed and let us know how difficult it was to install and later on i'd love to hear how you like it and how it is to cook on one.
    I'm VERY happy for you!
    Have a blessed evening!
    tamilee

7. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

I hace a home comfort, love it, it is really great. I use it all winter long. I like cooking on it.

8. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

Herself chose the Sweatheart because it is about the size of a regular gas range, and it doesn't have those spindly legs like the Oval.

She didn't get a reservoir because she would have to fill it and then drain the hot water out to use it. She justs keeps a 4 gallon stainless pot on top of the range. Water made hot in the morning is still plenty warm in the evening; even if the fire was only built for breakfast.

Herself uses her wood range year round, but then she always has. She doesn't have a microwave, a gas range, or anything else; just the Sweatheart.

9. raymilosh

raymilosh Well-Known Member

Hey Debie,
    I called up lehman's to order a woodstove and wound up telling the fellow there what I was looking for and the specifics about what I wanted and he steered me toward purchasing something different. He really didn't seem to mind answering my questions and giving me advice. I thanked him for the advice and said I'd have to think about it. I'd suggest you call there and do the same. advice is good.
    btw, i have a waterford stanley and i like it just fine
    ray

10. Debbie at Bount

Someone emailed me witih a sweetheart for sale. I want it. She says the warmer bin is cracked. Can that be replaced. Not knowing exactly about that. Also says is discolored. Can that be cleaned and looking new again or does that mean painting again?
    Thanks,
    Debbie

11. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

Herself has a little catalog of parts from the company. Any part can be replaced.

12. Debbie at Bount

can you turn me on to where I can get information on a warmer bin. Also, how do you bring them back to the new color?
    Debbie

13. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

Herself is off working or doing girl stuff. When she gts back I'll get her to give me the address and such like.

14. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

Here's the address for the company taken from the envelope they sent to Herself:
    Heartland Appliances Inc.
    1050 Fountain St. N., Cambridge, Ontario
    Canada N3H 4R7

1-800-361-1517