Outside Woodburner off of Alternative Power

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by forestboundary, Jan 22, 2005.

1. forestboundary

forestboundary Member

Does anyone have an outdoor wood furnance? We are thinking of putting one in to heat the house and work shop. Does any one know if it could be run off of alternative power? (wind & solar) We already have the duct work for forced air in the house.
    El

2. River

River Well-Known Member

We do not have an outdoor wood furnace. However, it is my understanding Hoover makes an outdoor wood stove powered by pneumatics. We know of an Amish store that has one, but I have never delved into the particulars.

For wind-powered compressed air, see: http://airliftech.com/

I wish you the best in this effort!

River

3. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

I would go here and join and read a lot of the comments about outside furnaces. Not all is good. Also some links at the bottom of that site.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/woodheat/

Many problems with those units. Lot of smoking problems, some places have banned them, others in big fights. The above site has some pictures of some of those, I definitely would not want to be living within miles of one. Many problems seem to be burning green wood, stacks are very low, they go into bottle up modes on low load and just stink. Maybe easy to ignore if you are getting free heat but the guy next door doesn't see it that way.

Also in practice lots of complains about short working life, apparently many only last a few years.

If you already have the alternative wind or solar energy source, you don't need a furnace. Just some means of sourcing / collection / producing the heat and routing it via your present system. Example wind as electricity, just a heater inside the house or your duct work. Solar just connect the collector (Assume hot air type) to your heating system in parallel.

4. Countrybumpkin

Countrybumpkin Well-Known Member

I'll tell you what we did...took one of those add-onwood furnaces that TSC sells, and built a concrete block room right behind our furnace room. Took the ducts from the add-on, and routed them through the attic, hooking them up to the ductwork on our existing furnace. A lot cheaper than one of those outdoor jobs, and if the power goes off, all you have w/ ours is two air circulating fans, which pulls 4 amps, so I have an inverter, and some batteries-thing runs a good long while like that! Save yourself some $$, and forget thosde outdoor water jobs-just not worth the $$ they get for them. Ever thought of a woodburnerfor your living room? Wouldn't need a lick of power with one of those...