Outside dogs

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Peepsqueak, Apr 23, 2005.

Who has outside dogs?

1. All the time

2. Half of the time

3. None of the time

4. As needed

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Peepsqueak

Peepsqueak Well-Known Member

Do any of you expect your dogs to live outdoors primarily? My dh does not like dogs in the house so they have to stay out all the time...especially when he is home. I let them in when he is not around because I enjoy and need their companionship. I tried to settle this difference with my dh but he is determined he will not live in the house with the animals....I thought we had this understanding before we got the dogs and I think it is his attempt to make it inconvenient for me to have the dogs...he likes material things and hates that I spend any money on them. Actually I work so I feel like my money can be spent as I please...especially if I pay the majority of the bills anyway. :bash:

Well not to get off track...I am not the submissive type of wife but I do not like to argue and disrespect others anyway. We do live in the South (Texas) so the climate is not that harsh...but it is hot as you know what in the summer. I like my pooches to be part of the family.

How do you all feel about your fur babies?

2. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

one of my dogs would stay outside all day of you let him... he doesnt want to come back in.

the other is out for 10 min and gets upset because it isnt her thing, she would rather be asleep on the front wondo seat than in the grass with the other one.

he has to be carried in by force, because he digs under the fences in an attempt to go visit all the neighbors in a 5 mile area.

to answer your question....
    dogs need a pack, if you are the dogs pack then seperating them outside is almost cruel... they need the pack comfort. alone is not a dog-thing.

no offense, but folks who wont have dogs in their house I have a silent problem with.
    maybe mommy washed their hands to much or something.
    lol

3. silentcrow

silentcrow Furry Without A Clue

My Zach is an indoor-outdoor dog. He sleeps inside at night (even on my bed sometimes) and can be in whenever he wants during the day. With nicer weather approaching, he's been wanting to stay out more. My roomy has a dog that is kept outside. He's not fully housetrained (even at 11!) so only comes in during extreme weather or for occasional baths. I can't see the point in having a dog that is tied outside all the time. I want my buddy near me.

4. Vera

Vera Well-Known Member

Hm... I don't make mine stay outside, but I let them out several times a day to do their business and to hang out a while.

The local climate isn't very kind to Great Danes (got two). High altitude sun year-round, freezing temps all winter... I'd rather not deal with sunburn or exposure problems. Besides, my Dane girl is ancient now and finds the great outdoors to be lacking much in comfort ;)

The two snow dogs could take the cold just fine, as a matter of fact, they love to be outside and get snowed in during winter storms. If left unsupervised for too long though, they bark at all sorts of things, and this is a quiet neighborhood. I'm very grateful that my two neighbors are the kind of people who are easy to have around, so I'm doing my part to keep it peaceful and quiet here.

Another reason to keep the dogs mostly inside is that we do have the obligatory doorknockers who ignore "keep gate closed" signs on fences. A few years ago, some of them came to the door when I was gone, and when I came home, the gate was open and my two huskies were gone. The dogs came home after about 8 hours of fun in the cow and horse pastures (as I found out later), and any rancher would have been fully within his right to shoot them. Thank God they didn't directly harm any animals, but even "just harassing" livestock isn't something I'd ever condone. Learned my lesson, so when I go somewhere, the dogs stay inside.

5. jerzeygurl

jerzeygurl woolgathering

had to many experiences with fleas to have indoor outdoor pets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    so i stay outside with them :haha:

6. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

Sherman is an indoor dog, nasty little beast he is. Loves it outdoors, but my mom doesn't like outdoor dogs. I don't particularly either. I like dogs, cats and rabbits to be indoor-outdoor animals.

7. KindredCanuck

KindredCanuck In Remembrance

My basset hound is a couch potatoe.. who hates summer weather.. winter loves to be out.. summer forget it..

KC~

8. RedneckPete

RedneckPete Well-Known Member

My German Shepard is three years old and has NEVER been in the house. We built her a good dog house, and put one of the livestock heater mats in it. We only plug it in if the temp gets below 10F. I stuff her dog house full of straw in the fall, and make a big pile of straw over the outside of the house.

The dog runs is on the invisible fence, and has free range of about 5 acres. No more breakins, no more coons eating my garbage, no more deer in the vegi garden.

If you watch the disgusting things a dog gets into while outside, I would think twice before bringing it into my house.

Pete

9. RedneckWoman

RedneckWoman Well-Known Member

Mine live outside in their own dog houses. I have had too many bad experiences with fleas, ticks, and God only knows whatever it was they decided to roll in.

The Aussie is allowed to come in with me for a few minutes at a time on rare ocassion but none of the other dogs have ever been inside. The Aussie supervises the livestock and they all run critter control, etc.

10. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

My dogs and cats are indoor-outdoor. The dogs stay outside pretty much all day and sleep inside at night. They come and go as they please, as do the cats. The cats come and go 24 hours as they have a pet door for just that reason.

We have anywhere from 2-3 dogs on the bed with us at night and have never had fleas, although we do have to take extra precautions to keep the dogs from bringing in ticks.

11. thequeensblessing

thequeensblessing Well-Known Member

I said outdoor all the time because our 2 pyr are outside with our livestock all the time, other then the time they spend in the barn. They prefer it outside. They seem to suffer when they come in the house for any length of time. (Besides, Dudley is sooooo clutzy in the house, knocking things over and all.)

Our afghan hound female, Kitkat, is an outdoor/indoor type of dog. She just wants to be wherever I am. :) Even when she had her pups, she didn't want me to leave the room. (I did, and she followed me, a pup hanging out of her. She wuvs me. :) ) Bandit, our male afghan, cannot be in the house. He tries to mark EVERYTHING, and that is just WRONG in my house. He also steels food off the countertops(thus, his name) because he's so big.

12. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

We don't have a dog right now (no fence), but have had both in the past. I think it depends on the dog. I have no problem with any well-mannered dog in my house, including visitors dogs. My parents bring their fiest with them when they visit, and Rocky is a perfect gentleman. My in-laws are offended that they are not allowed to bring their dog, which I have seen standing on, and digging in, the back of their sofa, jumping into people's laps as they sit at the table at dinner, and other behavior that I won't tolerate. (that one is a beagle). I have had Irish setters, English Springer Spaniels, and dalmations as good house dogs. Well, indoor-outdoor...where ever they chose to be. I have also had my own beagle who was not allowed in the house...since I wanted to have a house left!

I think figuring out what you want in a dog's behavior, then choosing a breed that will give that to you will help quit a bit.

I'd be far more willing to have a big, well-coated dog like a German Shepard, or a hunting breed like a beagle outside all the time, but I wouldn't do that to, say...a chihuahua!

Megs two cents

13. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

Buster goes out to do his business and to play with us, or to investigate noise. We are his pack and he stays as close to us as he can. If we have overnight guests he will stay close and protect them as well. We don't usually have problems keeping off the ticks and I really don't mind giving him a bath. He's a short hair so that makes a big difference in the amount of maintence. He's an 8 yr old male Boxer, about 70lbs.

14. Nax

Nax Well-Known Member

I have a couple of lab/border collie mixes who are with me all the time, in or out, their choice. If it's nice they prefer to lounge on the porch or sniff around the yard and bark at whatever now and again, but they go with me if I go to the store or the chicken coop or the garden, and whether outside or in, they're always just a call away. I live alone and couldn't imagine having it any other way. It's a comfort having them in the house at night.

Yeah, they get dirty sometimes, and end up rolling in something particulary gruesome or revolting, but it's nothing a bath can't handle. They don't bring anything into the house that doesn't come in, eventually, on my shoes or clothes. (Although they kept on sneaking in with some bloody vole bits and pieces during the winter :haha: .) Besides, I think exposure to some dirt and manure and mud is good for a soul--it builds up your immunity. For ticks and fleas I used Frontline which is a wonder drug. So much better than, remember? flea baths and flea collars?

I like that dog food commercial, "We're for dogs. We're for sniffing. We're for digging." :) Sure, sometimes there's a battle of wills, like when a puddle of something or other's urine is especially appealing to the canine nose, or when, in spite of several tilled acres, the most desireable spot to dig and lay is in the middle of the freshly sprouted spinach :no: . But, I love it, and wouldn't have it any other way.

Perhaps keeping your dog in a landing or breezeway would be a good compromise.

15. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

I like having my kids in the house all the time.Got one Hound that I feel so sorry for I've tried to let him stay in the house and he enjoys it.But my Jack Russell trys to kill him every time I let him in.Last time there was just too much Blood even mine,plus going to the ER to get sewed up.

big rockpile

16. iowahopefuls

iowahopefuls Well-Known Member

Still in California.. but making a good time of it
    I have a Plott hound, a chihuahua, and a weiner dog. I would love them to be outside more but my neighbors are horrible!! They raise bulldogs (no biggie) but when I let my dogs out they all like to go to the fence and say "Hi!".His and mine. Honestly I hate to hear a barking dog!! but they stop after about 30 seconds and go about their business. If the man is out next door he will poke my dogs with his cane. Yes I have seen him do it, I just call my dogs in. It isnt worth the fight, he is an unhappy old man. My husband is making me a dog run on the other side of the house (no neighbors on other side) so they will be out more. Our weather up here in the SoCal mountains is the best in Ca. We did have a lot of rain this year so for us that means snow! :) :D . Lucius (plott hound) loved it!! We couldnt keep him inside when he saw the snow!! Crazy puppy!! Thelonious and Stretch had none of it :no: :no: . Our cats are mostly spoiled, come and go as they please. Try to keep them in at night because of the coyotes.

Danielle

17. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

My dogs are working border collies. They stay outside all of the time and sleep in the sheep barn.
    During the night they keep unwanted critters out of the farm yard. Mainly coyotes, skunks and racoons. :)

18. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

My border collie is a pet. In the morning, I feed him outside and he usually will stay out until I call him in. This is repeated in the afternoon. To his own devices, he will stay outside for about an hour and a half. I never leave him outside if I am not home. We have a problem with dog theives, and a dog left out in a kennel is very attractive to bunchers. Besides, I think a dog works better with you if he is part of the family. Admitedly, if I wanted a dog that was strictly outside I'd get a dog that does well alone and has the physical attributes to deal with all kinds of weather. Most dogs need a companion, so if I wanted my dog outside most of the time, I'd get another dog to keep him company.

I got my dog to herd sheep, yes, but mostly to be a companion.

19. RandB

RandB Well-Known Member

No offense, but if my husband acted that way about the dogs, HE would be the one out of the house !!! ;)

20. Laura

Laura Well-Known Member

Farm dogs can't do there jobs if they are in the house.