Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The one that didn't get away

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The last 2 out of 3 nights we lost 3 chickens. I've noticed a small runway outside our chicken yard leading away to the woods, but no chicken loses. We have a three side building with pirches and nest boxes in it. Raised chickens this way for years, but always have dogs around to ward off predators. Well the dogs have gone and we have been having "visitors" at night. First night, 2 chickens.....one eaten whole except legbones and backbone left right in the chicken yard and another hen stolen without a trace. Night two, I put a bright spotlight in the building and shone it out in the large chicken yard. Seemed to work as no chicken theft occurred that night, but maybe the thief put the second bird from the first night in the "freezer"...lol. Oh well.....not funny, but the best is coming........third night.... I am in bed and all of a sudden I hear cackles......again too late, feathers flying and the thief is gone.......BUT.......I went to the gun cabinet and got out the trusty 20 gauge shotgun, slid on my flip flops, pajama bottoms and sweatshirt and off to the side yard I went. I got to the side of the house and stopped. I waited and listened very hard. Nothing......then I heard feathers flapping across the fenced in chicken yard. I was on one side and the thief was on the other mangling my hen. As crazy as I wanted to become I stayed quiet and patient and listened to "it" crunch my hen. I slowly stalked thru the side yard between the garden and the vineyard.I turned down the path between the garden and the chicken yard fence. Still more crunching....man was I @#^^% (upset). I cocked and recocked the hammer of the shotgun, thinking; should I shoot in the direction of the sound of the crunching? But my better judgement told me NO. With mosquitoes buzzing around my head, dressed in pajama bottoms and flip flops, I decided to wait it out. Almost an hour now I have been out in the yard, listening to my hen being eaten. All of a sudden out of the corner of my eye and with a slight metal "ting" sound to my ear, I saw the thief jumping thru the page wire fence entering the chicken yard looking for hen #2. He, a male fox, was now being preyed on by me. The spotlight from the chicken coop was shinning bright out into the yard. The male fox stopped hard in his tracks after jumping thru the page wire hole. As his feet hit the ground we turned in unison facing one another. He with his eyes on me and I looking "dead at him. My shotgun up in a flash to my shoulder, hammer pulled instantly back, Mr. Fox wasn't going to be allowed to take another step inside my chicken yard. I pulled the trigger, "BANG" he dropped, not quite lifeless, so I cordially pulled up again, pulled the trigger, "BANG". He now was a victim as were my 3 chickens. I am not into killing, but when something comes after my livestock or produce it is not tolerated. I may have to do it all over again, but THIS ONE DID NOT GET AWAY!!!

·
Premium Member
7,230 Posts
Excellent work!

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
Good for you!

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Excellent, good for you! I've done similar with a .22 carbine and raccoons before. Was quite the Annie Oakley shooting four out of a tree some 40 ft. up in the air in the middle of the night in my nightgown and barn boots. Propped the flashlight so it shone up into the tree and illuminated their shiny little eyes, at which I took careful and deliberate aim. POW! four times in a row, and four times in a row a dead coon arced to earth. I hate coons.

·
Keeping the Dream Alive
1,270 Posts
Good job!

Can you put its tail on your car's radio antenna?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts