Outers Hickory Smoker

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by bugstabber, Oct 28, 2006.

1. bugstabber

bugstabber Chief cook & weed puller Supporter

2. Mr. Dot

Mr. Dot Well-Known Member

3. bugstabber

Thanks for the pdf! It looks like if that one can do meat and things, so can this one. I've got my turkey frying thermometer in there right now so I'll see how the temperature holds. Thanks for the help Mr.Dot

4. Hurricane Kurt

Hurricane Kurt Well-Known Member

I'm not familiar with your smoker but I did look at those pics. All modern electric pellet wood smokers use dry pellets. I would definatley use dry wood chips in it, soaked chips might short something out.

When I smoke peppers I do it at very low temps, cold smoking if you will, around 145-155 for 6-8 hours. I don't think you are going to be able to regulate your temps very easily on that smoker. You might try keeping the lid open for lower temps.

Another method you might try if you cant get a cold smoke is smoking the peppers at a higher temp say 220 with lots of smoke for an hour or two then dehydrating them.

Kurt

5. bugstabber

I've got the temperature almost to 150 degrees. I had to move it out of the breeze, it's 53 here today. I've seen in my searchings that there is an insulating blanket for some smokers. I may have to whip one up with appropriate air holes of course. I don't think too hot is going to be a problem, at least this time of year! Thanks for the help.