Outdoor woodburner advise

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by tinknal, Sep 5, 2006.

1. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

Went to the state fair yesterday. Looked at about a dozen stoves. I'm kind of leaning towards the Taylor model. Anyone have any input?

2. copperkid3

copperkid3 Well-Known Member

Sorry.....no......we have a used Aqua-Therm that got us thru this past winter and gives us hot domestic water thru the summer .........it's dirty.....belches tons of smoke, uses a bit of fuel, but it works, which is what counts I guess. :shrug: Plan on designing and building my own BEFORE this one gives up the ghost.....hopefully I can incorporate ideas from others on what works best. :rolleyes:

3. bob clark

bob clark A man's man

they are not efficent we have one and my BIL sells them. Im not a big fan

4. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

They are being outlawed in some areas due to poor efficiency which means lots of offensive smoke. I don't lkike them. There are good quality indoor wood burning boilers available, but they don't get advertised like the outdoor ones--apparently they depend on word of mouth to sell.

5. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

Indoor stoves add a pile to homeowners insurance. I'm going to get an outdoor stove, I would just like input on particular brands.

6. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

The life of these outdoor stoves is too short based on the initial costs. I know where there are 3 stoves now that have a leak that is nearly impossible to service. I will never own another outdooor stove that depends on water to store the heat. Google hahsa and read

7. GrannieD

GrannieD Well-Known Member

I got a"Lil' House" outdoor stove last year...Cost-wize it was what I could afford & I have access to all the wood I need..I went to the dealer & looked at his & got help setting mine up...I know I'll probably have to replace the main firebox at sometime,but I'm very happy with it ...I looked at some others & talked to people who have fired them & I think I got a deal...& no more mess in the house..! GrannieD

8. mink

mink Well-Known Member

ive got a woodmaster 4500 and my neighbor has a typical wood stove in his house......i look out all the time and id say 95 %of the time he has more smoke coming out of his chimney than i do. with heating oil to 250 and more up here in new york i cant say as im sad i bought mine. my oil furnace has been turned on almost every morning for the last 3 weeks so in another week or 2 mines going to be going til next may.........mink

9. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

Everyone I know who has ever had one has hated them ( All brands)

10. foxfire51

foxfire51 Active Member

I have a Hardy furnace and like it a lot. I know several folks who have the Taylors. The only thing I have heard negatively about them is an anode that needs to be changed out fairly often. I think it is to capture the minerals in the water so that they don't clog the system.

I can recommend the Hardy, heartily! Simple design, simple to operate. We burn a bit more wood than for the TWO woodstoves that it took to heat our home before, but it is such a simple matter to fire the furnace and forget it. I live in SW IN, so it is not an arctic climate, but we do get some good cold winters. Most of last winter, I only loaded it during the evening, once a day. Only a couple of times did I need to fire it both morning and evening.

There are lots of manufacturers out there, Good luck!!
    FF51

11. farmerscotty

farmerscotty Well-Known Member

Do a search on google or Yahoo for "outside wood heaters" that should give you some ideas on heating with wood outside.

12. neolady

neolady Well-Known Member

Wood Doctor has more recent technology available on their stoves - e.g. they burn 50% less than the older models and have catalytic converters. They also have 4 foot clearances from the house which surprised me.

13. boonieman

boonieman Well-Known Member

I really like the looks of this one, and the fact it's forced air and doesn't use water really interests me. Can't vouch for it because I don't know anybody that has one, but at least another way to consider going with an outdoor furnace.

http://www.charmaster.com/embers.html