outdoor wood furnaces

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by cabbie, Nov 13, 2004.

1. cabbie

cabbie New Member

Does anyone have experience with outdoor wood furnaces? I am considering one for our large greenhouse, home heat and hot water for our dairy and home. I've searched several web sites but haven't found anything specific to greenhouses and I know they are being used in these capacities. Any info people may have would be greatly appreciated.

Cabbie in Vermont

2. Bigdog

Bigdog Well-Known Member

I have a Hardy have had it for about 4 or 5 years now works great You just need to have plenty of wood for it I use it to heat 3k sq ft house and garage They have a web site but don't know the url off the top of my head I would stay away from iron water tanks they will rust This one is all stainless steel
    Hope this helps :) :)

3. Tom S

Tom S Member

I have a "Woodmaster". They come in stainless or regular.Been thinking about using the second zone for a greenhouse myself. Besides heating the home the outdoor furnace also heats or pre heats the hot water in the house. Have noticed around a 30 dollar drop in the electric bill once the furnace is fired up in fall just from the savings on the hot water heater. All I can say about them is they're great.

4. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

We have a Central Boiler outdoor furnace and it is the berries....can have up to three lines so one for house,one for garage and one for the greenhouse. You can chuck in wood as big as you can lift! No splitting. Holds fire for up to two days...we have ours connected so our hot water is free. Keep a small fire going all year to heat water. It keeps our two story poorly insulated farmhouse toasty. Regular thermostats on the wall and clean hotwater baseboard heat. Plus your insurance rates will go way down. DEE

5. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

Any of you have any idea of how much wood you use per year for what amount of square footage you're heating?

6. george darby

george darby Well-Known Member

1500sq feet of greenhouse needs about 170,000 btu per hour , my taylor has a 300,000 btu per hour rating i also heated a trailer at the same time my system was not well designed in the greenhouse (did it myself from an old heat exchange core) should be replaced with radiant tubes when i can get around to it , any way at outside temps below 20 degrees it was a constant wood feeding job..300,000 btu per hour is a lot of wood!at higher out door temps once a day firing was all that was needed , some of the realy big units are designed to be loaded with a tractor and will take large round bales , mine has a 3' square fire box area and there is little need to split wood if you have a bed of coals and can lift the chunk it will burn! temperate weather lots of stumps scraps, skids, catalpa , pine, boxelder any poor wood.......... bad weather still needed the good oak ,osage and sometimes some stray coal...........i would recomend from experience a unit with a dual back up fuel just in case there is a day its not convienient to get home or you need to be gone for a few days,run out of wood or take sick....running out of wood shouldnt be a problem because you dont have to be picky what you use to burn