outdoor clothesline

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by blindhen, May 13, 2004.

1. blindhen

blindhen Member

can someone help me? i want to redo my outdoor clothesline. i do not want it out of wood and i don't want the metal T posts. what i do want are the ones that look like an upside down U....kind of the same look as an old metal bed frame. can anyone help? i would greatly appreciate it!!!!!

2. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    I think I know what you mean. A sort of big croquet wicket made of pipes would do it. Id get a couple of lengths of iron threaded pipe. Two for the legs and a third one for the cross bar and a couple of threaded elbow joints to join them up.
    Set the ends of the legs in concrete. You could buy everything you need in any decent hardware or lumber yard. Do you just tie the lines to the cross bars? Or you could put doggy clips on the ends of the lines to clip around the cross bars.
    Hope that helped. :)

3. blindhen

blindhen Member

THANK YOU!!!! i'm not sure what doggy clips are..but i'll check while i'm at the hardware store. you knew exactly what i meant!!!

4. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    Doggy clips are like the thing on the end of a dogs leash. They come in all kinds of sizes. You would need one that would snap over the cross bar and that had a fitting to attach the clothesline, either rope or wire on the other end. You could clip on as many lines as you needed and take them indoors in the winter.

5. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

I have the right-side up "U" clothesline,.
    (Or the up-side down croquet wicket)

Two right-side up U's----the U's are about 15 feet wide.
    Two six foot pipes connect the tops of one U with the top's of the other.

There are hooks on those CROSS pipes for stringing 6 lines.

So---I end up with about 90 feet of space for hanging.

They ARE NOT set in cement!
    The neatest thing about them is they are MOVABLE.

We move ours around for mowing the lawn and even picked it up and moved it down the road to our new house.

The U's themselves seem to be all one piece-------imagine about 27-30 feet of 2-3 inch pipe with 6 feet bent up at each end to create the "U".

Lots of people around here have them.
    I love mine!

6. hi...that sounds like what i want. did you make yours or buy it? i'm off to the hardware store in a sec so any info would be helpful. i'm just curious about the holes in the cross bars...if it came that way or were drilled? how deep are they burried? thanks again

7. tallpines

We bought ours from a fellow that makes barn stantions.
    The crossbars had loops already welded on to them.

8. RAC

RAC Guest

Does anyone have a picture of how they look? I'm having a hard time visualizing it.... Thanks.

9. tallpines

If you want to pm me your email address, I can email you a rough drawn image.

10. RAC

RAC Guest

Tallpines, someone I was discussing this thread with someone who explained it to me, thanks anyway. I had this vision of the "U" rolling over....lol

I have one of these:

http://www.buttsmfg.com/model3,4000.htm

but mine must be a smaller model (same company) because when I measured today it was 68 inches x 30 lines divided by 12 = 170 hanging feet (my math could be off too). I did not set mine in the ground, instead it is in one of those cast iron patio umbrella holders so I can move it anywhere--DH cut the pole down a bit for me because it was too high when not set in the ground.