Outbuildings and taxes

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Thoughthound, Dec 11, 2005.

1. Thoughthound

Thoughthound Well-Known Member

Anyone know if the tax implications are significant for outbuildings?

I'm in Iowa and I'm thinking about buying a place that has a lot of outbuildings I don't need.

Thanks in advance.

David

2. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

It is my understanding that any building that is not movable is up for grabs by the tax man. That's one reason why lots of "sheds" are built on skids.

I may be wrong, but...

3. evermoor

evermoor Well-Known Member

It really depends on the condition, usage and size. Our place has two corn cribs, hoghouse,barn, machine shed, hog nursery and another "summer kitchen" for outbuildings. Only the machine shed and hog house, and one crib are counted for tax purposes because they have tin roofs and usable. The other buildings are not in greatest condition or not in use so no taxes were incurred. At the dairy most the buildings are fairly new and it greatly raised the taxes, still waiting to find out if the concrete is going to up the tax for next year.

4. Peace n Quiet

Peace n Quiet Well-Known Member Supporter

Call your assessment office. Every county views outbuildings differently. Here, the buildings are valued for their use. Corn cribs are not taxed, nor are most buildings under 200 sq ft, or canvas covered buildings. But I know that those same buildings are taxed in other counties. The only way to know for sure which of your buildings are taxed is to ask.

5. Jack_IA

Jack_IA Active Member

Well in northeast Iowa they tax it all ,unless on skids,tho they will try that also.
    The kicker is every year they raise the taxes too what it is worth now instead of what you paid. Taxes around here have tripled in 5 years. Much more and will have to sell.
    When I added a pole building they jumped over 500.00 will not do that again.
    trying to get legislature to pass a bill keeping taxes at what I paid instead of making believe it is sold every year. Think everyone should email or call your legislature rep and see what it takes to do that.