out of vaccine....

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by breezynosacek, Dec 6, 2003.

1. breezynosacek

breezynosacek Well-Known Member

Well, according to Richmond, VA news broadcasts, the hospitals have been overswamped, they are out of vaccine and the one that they are spraying up peoples noses is "Live virus". They are telling people who got the spray not to go around anyone with immune problems for 21 days! :eek:

Oh, that's great. They didn't see enough people coming in with it so they want to make sure everybody gets it. Serious, they asked that people who got the spray up their noses, NOT to go to hospitals or nursing homes so the patients wouldn't catch it.

Forget the patients, they must already have insurance. What about the poor working stiff trying to support his family that has to work with someone who got the spray vaccine? TOO LATE! They didn't warn anybody until AFTER they ran out of the vaccine. :eek:

I sure hope it isn't the same type of virus they tried to kill us with about 1991/92.

You'd get it and it would attack a certain part of your body. When you thought you were totally over it, it would come back and attack another part of your body. On and on it would go like a hacker looking for a backdoor.

It killed a lot of people!

2. scott

scott Well-Known Member

did they run out or did they pull the remaining because they cooked up the wrong batch for this year?????

3. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

OK, you work for one of the two drug companies who make the vaccine and you job is to determine the specific amount of vaccines to me made. You know the normal demand for the vaccine is 80M doses a year and it takes four months to process. You have to guess at what portion of the 80M your company should make since you may not know what your competition plans. If you make too few, you get bad press like this and your company foregoes perhaps many millions in lost profits. If you make too many, they have to be disposed of at a significant loss to your company (and employees and stockholders). How many doses will you have produced next year? (And, remember, your six-figure salary job with the company may rest on your decision.)

Those who thought ahead and got their flu shot early don't have a problem.

Ken S. in WC TN

4. zoo-mom

zoo-mom Member

Why this big push for everyone to get the vaccine? First it was just the elderly and those with weakened immune systems..............made sense for them to get it b/c the flu could be dangerous. Then, pregnant women were supposed to get it b/c of their "weakened" immune systems (pile of cr*#@) so I said 'no thanks' Now they are pushing it on infants, toddlers, and school-age kids - WHY??? You get the flu, you are sick, you get over it - there are too many shots as it is for things that are really necessary, and I don't skimp on those, but I will continue to refuse the flu for myself and my children (along with the other evil one CHICKENPOX - my youngest is the only one who hasn't actually gotten chickenpox yet, but he will get it just like the others - naturally. I know several toddlers who got the chickenpox shot and got chickenpox anyway - some great vaccine there) We are raising a country of kids that have no natural immunity - it all comes in a bottle. (and yes, I know you don't build up immunity to the flu, but your body is capable of fighting on its own sometimes if you give it a chance) My parents get the shots every year...............and get the flu shortly afterwards - and buy into the belief that they were already exposed to it, and it is a weaker version b/c they got the vaccine. Aaaaarrrrggghhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Sorry, but this is a hot button topic for me and I couldn't resist writing in :)))

5. breezynosacek

breezynosacek Well-Known Member

They ran out of it. It was stated today that "This is the worst flew season in 15 yrs. Just short of being an epidimic."

How's that grab ya? Know what I think? I think somebody keeps sending mutant viruses our way just like that SARS.

It's so easy for viruses to mutate and jump from species to species these days, it's almost scary.

6. MaryJane

MaryJane Well-Known Member

A few comments:

My DD is a nurse in a family practice and says the dangerous strain going around is not even included in this years' vaccine so it won't guard against it at all. She also said her clinic usually gives 250-350 flu shots by this time of year and this year they've given 3000+ already! It's the panic that is causing the vaccine to run short. I don't get them anyway.

When I was young we were very poor and I can't remember going to the doctor more than maybe 3-4 times before was I grown. My Mom treated our symptoms and and we just had to get over it naturally. When anitbiotics were necessary we went to the doc---strep and stuff like that. But we grew to be very healthy adults....not like kids these days who need medicie for everything and are in the doc's office every week. I've been exposed to this flu twice this year so far and have yet to get it myself....

I think the way children's health is addressed nowadays is bad for kids.

7. Locoster

Locoster Member

Those who got their flu shot might be laying themselves open to other problems. I read an article about the Ontario, Canada, SARS outbreak, and one of the things they mentioned was that a high number of the SARS victims had a history of 5 or more flu shots.

If you want something to avoid colds and flu, check into some of the Silver Collide generators. Silver colloids were used effectively before the invention of antibiotics.

Also, I read about a study in Britain where paid volunteers were exposed to cold virii. Some by mouth, some by nose, and some by the eyes.

Which group had the most colds?

The eyes did. So, keep your hands and fingers clean, and away from your eyes during the cold and flu season. Silver collide can be used in an eye wash.

Ed

8. Jo73

Jo73 Active Member

I think the reason they are recommending the vaccine for children is that 8 children have died of the flu here in the UK so far this flu season. Obviously everyone needs to make their own decision based on their circumstances.

Jo

9. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) A tad more info that may help. Once the major numbers of vaccines were already in the works, the virus mutated again..too late to be included in the first crop of vaccines. So, the advice is to recieve a booster 8 weeks after the first shot for those with compromised health. I think it doesn't help to base an opinion on things with incomplete info. Ken explained it pretty well. The manufacturors made way too many doses last year and had to destroy millions of them. They didn't want to get burned again this year. As for the expanding on the guidelines...as it progresses the authorities are learning more and more about it and who it is affecting and thus are letting us know. In the "old days" that some of you are referring to....those were the days before all of the saturated airline availalbility. We are no longer protected against these viruses from the other parts of the world. Once upon a time it took long enough for a carrier to get over here so that if they were contagious they were not shedding the virus by the time they reached our shores. This is no longer true. There are flights from virtually all over the world now and they can leave a place where Ebola or mutated flu virus is rampant and be stepping off an airplane(or swimming ashore!) while still shedding the live virus. No vaccine is perfect for any species and every single one of them have an acceptable death rate and a certain percentage of people who's immune system will not react to them and thus will not form an immunity. If you do some research you will see that in this country there are millions of lives saved every year from vaccines....we don't have these huge numbers of children dying and/or left crippled because of them. When's the last time you saw a kid with Polio? Dyptheria? Pertussis? Measles? Rabies? They are so rare in this country that Doc's don't study them anymore and are cause for intense interest and study when they do crop up.

We have no shortage of vaccines here and as my dh is bedridden with emphysema we will be getting the boosters in Jan. Lq

10. little mom

little mom Active Member

they cover their asses every year,you hear , this vac wont cover
    that strain,seen lots of people sick after they take the shot
    that never was sick like my father n law, almost killed him
    just like most people he takes up for it, how lucky i was to get
    that shot the cold might killed me,wasn't year after his first one
    he can't remember nothing, seen there last week it gives altimers
    and lots of other stuff
    people the same ones that you think that cares for you
    killed around 60 million babies, and i hear its alot higher than that
    if people want to take it that ok, dont shove it on me
    like the crap they talked about smallpoxs vac,awhile back
    if ya didnt take it, you would spread it s.pox to the ones that took
    the vac ,well if the vac. worked why would they worry about
    people that didn't

11. diane

diane Well-Known Member

I sure hope it isn't the same type of virus they tried to kill us with about 1991/92.

So..........who is the THEY you are speaking of? People talk about the health care folks like they need your business or something. Having worked in a hospital during some of these epidemics I can tell you first hand it sure isn't fun.
    THEY, IMO would simply love you to stay well and not darken their doors. Hospitals are stressed to the max in most towns now without a bunch of seriously ill folks with the flu.

Get the stinking vaccine if you are succeptible to the flu, take your elderberry tea to combat virus and stay well!!!!

12. bugstabber

bugstabber Chief cook & weed puller Supporter

Did anyone listen to Science Friday on NPR this week? I thought I heard someone say that there wasn't a shortage, but the supply for people who can't afford to pay for the vaccine is being used up fast. Anyone?

13. Helena

Helena Well-Known Member

I agree with Diane. Hospitals surely don't need more patients with the staffing shortages the way they are now. Husband and I get the flu and did get the pnemonia vaccine also..that last about 7 years. It's up to each person what is best for them. I have heard that this years flu season is going to be bad and we might need to even get a second vaccine during the beginning of the next year..a booster. But if there is a shortage I don't know what they will do then. The vaccine that you spray up your nose....I have seen it advertised on TV and they never make mention of it being a "live vaccine" either. I would not ..not want to get my flu shot...but that's my opinion. If I get the flu I guess I would have just gotten it much worse if I hadn't taken the shot. If you are not around people or working with the sick...guess you take your chances. I just got sick of having my head in the toilet every Christmas. Remember...just use good hand washing...it's the best cure against catching bugs !!

14. zoo-mom

zoo-mom Member

I have absolutely no problem with the vaccines that you mentioned above - but those are not viruses that need to be inoculated for over and over again. And they can cause major damage. There is actually an increase in whooping cough just b/c there are some parents who don't vaccinate. But we are talking about the flu and HEALTHY children (and adults) here. At some point you have to let your body fight. Most people do not end up in the hospital for the flu. My fear is that at some point employers will start denying paid sick leave for people if they choose not to get the flu vaccine and get sick..............or schools will start demanding that children get the flu vaccine so they don't miss school. Schools here are already requiring that children either have the chickenpox vaccine or have gotten chickenpox - why? What business is it of theirs? Chickenpox is not going to cripple a child like polio or give them lifelong problems like some of the others.

As for rabies, I'll tell you, there is a movement toward giving pets like dogs fewer shots b/c some people believe the shots are harming the dogs' immune systems................and saying that their pets are "allergic" to rabies vaccines. NYS allows an exemption in that case, and for the most part, that is not a problem since the ones that are exempt are usually elderly or ill and not out in the public, but if there is a widespread movement, and the vets give more and more exemptions, you can bet you will see more rabies cases in people. Most vets will not do that, but there are more and more homepathic vets that just might. The general trend in this country seems to be that vaccines are "evil" b/c people don't see the horrific consequences of not vaccinating.

It may sound like I am contradicting myself, but I am pro-vaccine...........to a point. But at some point you have to say enough is enough for normal healthy adults and children. The elderly and ill are a different case, and it needs to be something on a case by case basis - not a widespread shot in the dark.