Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
out of the fruit loop box...hey kentuckydreamer ...fasten ya seatbelt...elk ramble ahead....lol

i gotta tell yall....if you are not a robotic type person and just ask questions "the way you are suppose to"..well you get weird looks..blank stairs and often gurgling sounds from deep inside person throat you are talking with as it seems they never encountered an outside the box question ever before in their life...especially if they are under 30ish it seems....lol

if i am working on any type of project its almost pointless to even converse with any hardware/lumber person .now i aint no rocket scientist i cant spell or form correct sentence structure stuff...it just flows from my brain pan and i type...lol....but good lord almighty do people look at ya funny if you ask a non mainstream question.

my recent encounter...well theres been plenty....but i was thinking of putting a fan inside a pipe and putting a timer on it with possible thermostat so when night air was coolest it can pull in cool air and reach desired temp and shut off automatically.....while being powered by solar i have.this way my root cellar can operate itself and i wont forget....well i might as well of asked for a ticket to saturn...lol....all i can get is ahhh...uhmmmm...hmmmm....they ask what are you doing and i tell them thats when the look comes...like i jumped from inside a box of fruit loops.

joe salatin here in va. says everything he wants to do is illegal...i understand that totally but on a different level...everything i wanna do is outside the fruit loop box of mainstream society.....i wanna do/know...

why arent house walls made of 2x12?..(this would make everything more efficient plus a wall icebox would fit perfect there and keep walls flush inside)

why dont homes have built in iceboxes with drain pipes in bottom going to outside?

why are we not wiring homes for both solar and grid tied?

why are my rocks less desirable for foundation that a cinderblock...i can bust a cinderblock with a claw hammer but cant bust a rock with a 4# mini sledge....ohhhhyyyyyyy

more to come...maybe...lol

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
theres some out of the box folks on here

moonwolf grows his birds with huge success on cutting green fodder from his meadows and has done some very interesting gardens in past.

myheaven...good grief...that woman used a chipper/shredder thingy to make all types of feed for her livestock.recently she done 1500# of silage.she would be dangerous with a rusted out old international self propelled chopper and a few sacks of seed corn.....lol

tnandy....that dude is a rocket scientist in my book...yall seen his recent solar hot water greenhouse...ohyyyyy....the control area is way over my pea brain....the 12year old inside of me would just love to get there and start flippin levers and saying whats this do....lol...i know i could make him cuzz within an hour of my arrival....roflmao

theres way more but just naming a few

oh dont foreget forerunner...his extreme composting thread has to be some sorta forum record....plus it shows all these books and so called set rules dont apply all the time...like dont put meat in your compost piles...lol..are you serious this man puts whole cows inside piles and they get digested....roflmao...why hes got me buying mtn dew for my local tree trimmers on hot summer days to keep truckloads coming to my gardens.

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what am i rambling on about in a nut shell is....

outside the box thinking is where survival rubber meets the road....especially where funds might be low or not at all.

or a better saying is homesteading rubber meets the road.

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
elk......we live outside the fruit loops, only do what the rice crispies tell us too and top it all off with some honey nut clusters :banana:

i expect nothing less from a woman who wears combat boots with sundresses !!!!!.....:rock::gaptooth:

·
Original recipe!
14,044 Posts
Great ramble Elk!
But about that self-cooling root cellar..
totally do-able.

We lived in a very cold old house once and the woodstove was all the back and around a corner in the kitchen.
We (and by we I mean DH) took a 6 inch round, flexible duct, stuck an in-line fine into it and ran it down the hall.
We had hot air from the kitchen blowing anywhere we wanted it.

DH says that your best bet would be an exhaust fan that sucks the warmest air off of your ceiling to the outside.
Have a second pipe that runs halfway down your wall.
Let negative pressure bring your cold air in and down a bit further.

He says grab a thermostat off of a baseboard heater or something and set it on the lowest temperature. That will prevent it from coming on if the temperature is over X degrees.

Or you can just put the exhaust fan/in-line fan on a timer set for the earliest hours of the morning when your outside temperature is the coldest.

and yeah.. thinking outside the box /creativity is frowned upon.
It is beaten out of the young in school.
I watched it happen to DS before we pulled him out.

And good, old fashioned poverty stricken people can get VERY creative. We are VERY creative folks over here!

·
Original recipe!
14,044 Posts
He also says to keep your moisture down, put the 'in' pipe about 3 or 4 ft off the ground so that you are pulling the mist/dew into your cellar.
And to bend it like a snorkel or like a sink drain trap with an outlet hose.
That way any moisture condensing will be caught in the trap and will trickle out of your little outlet hose.

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oh...in my searches i found a $7.88 timer controller with free shipping and a $5 fan to go on the hot air exhaust of cellar so the cool air flows in as hot air is pulled out....i even found a $15 temp controller by friend says he can wire it together to make what i want...this way it all works from my tiny bit of solar.

its funny the exact thing your hubs and you said to do was/is what i will be doing...must be looking from the same window!!!

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
heres another example....i see things in a different way ....lol

this is an sorghum boiling pot.....all my pea brain can say is boiling down sap is once a year....the rest of time i would so be up inside that thing soaking it like a bath tub....free hotwater soaks!!!!!!!!

and i promise i wont wash dirty socks in it either...roflmao

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Ohh...I want one of those. I could scald a pig...make soap...render lard....in that thing.

I know what ya mean. I was just belly aching to DH the other day of why people can't think outside of the box..can't remember on what topic it was on. I wish I could find another person around here to discuss some of my hair brain ideas with. Most people look at me like I have grown a third head.

Where is the info about tnandy green house? I want to see.:grin:

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ohh...I want one of those. I could scald a pig...make soap...render lard....in that thing.

I know what ya mean. I was just belly aching to DH the other day of why people can't think outside of the box..can't remember on what topic it was on. I wish I could find another person around here to discuss some of my hair brain ideas with. Most people look at me like I have grown a third head.

Where is the info about tnandy green house? I want to see.:grin:
http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/co...lternative-energy/526801-solar-hot-water.html

·
Registered
963 Posts
I laughed so hard....what a great way to start the day. But then, I got nostalgic ( I like the roller coaster in my mind ). My grandfather was always thinking like Elk. He had a huge closet in the kitchen ( most likely a pantry at one time). I do not care what you needed or what idea came to mind, he could go in that closet and figure out a way to make it work. The man melted stuff ( ?) and made his own sinkers before fishing.

My grandfather did not finish high school, ran numbers and illegal card games.

I may not see it in my generation, but mark my words, things are going to get ugly if we keep looking for store bought stuff to replace the store bought stuff someone told us we needed more than Elk's ideas to create a common sense environment.

And by the way....I am loving that idea of the built in ice box with a drain pipe.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Elkhound, I had to laugh at this. I've seen those blank confused looks before at the home improvement store when I ask for help on a project. I get the feeling that alot of people who work in these stores have never built a thing in their lives or, if they have, the idea that you could build something without a store-bought plan or materials list is beyond their comprehension. But I also think they don't know what to do with a woman who can use power tools. Then when I tell them I'm working on a new waterer/feeder system for my chickens, from their faces, you'd think I said I was developing a drive-thru restaurant for my herd of zebras and koala bears.

It's frustrating at the time, but I do feel a little extra smug when the project turns out well without anyone's help.

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
oh and by the way....yall should see the search results i get from bing....ohhhhhhhyyyy

i can wreak a search engine!!

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
heres another one...at lowes...yea i wanna see the models of refrigerators that DONT auto defrost......clerk just blinks....dont you want an energy star...i say no...why should i pay money to cool something....then pay to heat it back up to keep ice crystals from forming.

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
theres gottabe a way to put spring water pipped through a miticool clay refrigerator to make it cool even better rather than just from evaporation process.kycountry can work on this with his springwater....if i have already got him off buying an old pop cooler off craiglist...roflmao

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
heres another example....i see things in a different way ....lol

this is an sorghum boiling pot.....all my pea brain can say is boiling down sap is once a year....the rest of time i would so be up inside that thing soaking it like a bath tub....free hotwater soaks!!!!!!!!

and i promise i wont wash dirty socks in it either...roflmao

You can buy these type a cauldron new......some place in SC...got a website............these were common around here...scald hogs, boil peanuts, wash water, even can in..........

·
Premium Member
23,896 Posts
heres another one...at lowes...yea i wanna see the models of refrigerators that DONT auto defrost......clerk just blinks....dont you want an energy star...i say no...why should i pay money to cool something....then pay to heat it back up to keep ice crystals from forming.
Oh Man. You should have seen my Mom and I try to figure out her new washing machine,saturday. The stupid thing does not fill all the way up. It has a brain that weighs the laundry and puts however much water it wants in-water saveing. We needed to wash a fluffy comforter,didn't weigh much. You know what the sales people say when asked how to get it fuller- get a bucket and fill it.:hair

1 - 20 of 103 Posts