Our weekend

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by wy_white_wolf, Jun 26, 2006.

1. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

2. SweetSarah

SweetSarah Well-Known Member

Beyond gorgeous!! I am so jealous and inspired. If you don't mind, what kind of budget would it take to do something like that yourself?

3. Jerngen

Jerngen Perpetually curious! Supporter

:goodjob: I love your property! The structure is looking great! Look forward to hearing/seeing more

4. Rockin'B

Rockin'B Well-Known Member

You sure chose a nice setting.

For a couple of ol' hippies you build well too!! :cool:

5. Ozarkguy

Ozarkguy Well-Known Member

From old hippie to another - FANTASTIC! and congrats! Looks terrific and I dig your land out there in the middle of nowhere! :)

Don't suppose you got a couple of pix of putting up that first stage? Posts, flooring, etc, that's UNDER the main floor? Would be nice to see how you started that base if you have any?

GREAT pics and thanks for sharing them with us. Your place looks terrific!

"Far out, man - cooooool, dude" (wink) :)

Ozarkguy

6. kars1995

kars1995 Well-Known Member

7. wy_white_wolf

SweetSarah,

We were hoping to get it dryed in for about $5000. But feel it's going to go over that by $1000 to $1500. All depends on what the roof is going to cost.

Haven't planned enough on the interior or deck to have any idea on them yet. We just buy as we go.

Ozarkguy,

That was all done befor we had digital camera. Wife did take pictures but we lost 1 roll and hasn't got'n the other developed yet.

The base is 3 rows of 4, 6 by 6 treated timbers. I also covered the bottom 1/2 of them with roofing tar. Where I could they are 4 foot in the ground. A few didn't get that deep as I hit solid rock. They were dryset with 1 80lb bag of quikcrete in each hole. Attached to each side of the posts are 2 by 12's 20 foot long. The floor joists are 2 by 8's with a 2 by 10 perimiter boards. The total floor is 20 by 20.

We plan on having a sleeping loft over 1/2 of it and a 10 by 16 deck on the front of it.

8. Ozarkguy

Ozarkguy Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info wy_white_wolf. That's what I was wondering as I'm on solid rock in areas, too.

"I also covered the bottom 1/2 of them with roofing tar." Smart thinking!

Your place looks great and you two are doing a terrific job! Keep us updated on your progress please? And it's affordable, too! I like that "thousands" not tens of thousands to build!

Keep up the good work, you two!

9. wy_white_wolf

I wish I had thinned the tar out with something so that it would have soaked in. With it get being painted on the surface it got scared up and broken through in a few places in setting the posts. I'll try and remember to get some pictures of the underside next weekend when we sheath it.

Any suggestions on how to sheath this safely? That 21/12 pitch is steep and the DW is afraid of hieghts. But it should work great for solar heating.