Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! We almost always get this look. Last spring we actually got a little ram that was white with cream markings. We seem to almost always get rams too! What's really amazing is the color change, the very first lamb we got was a ewe. These two pics are of Pooka, one is just hours after she was born and the other is her as an adult.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We've gotten two ewes over the past few years. It's funny that our ram Mufasa throws more rams than ewes, however it keeps our numbers down which is just fine with me. :)
They are hair sheep, so nothing to gain from shearing, and I don't care for lamb. We sell the rams for about 125, and it's fun having the babies around for a few months.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have added 1/2 cup of cider vinegar to 5 gallons of water when breeding ewes. The theory is that it changes the ph in the ewes and you will get more ewe lambs. I did try one year and I did get about 75% females vs males. Not totally convinced but you could give it a try.

Susan

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LOL - interesting theory on the breeding, I'll keep that in mind!
Thanks Dragonfly Farm - they are so sweet.
The brown/white is already getting horns - he's only about 3 or 4 days older than his brother, but such a difference!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts