Our road has closed...:(

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by sisterpine, Nov 29, 2005.

1. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Well today we had to do it...close the first 7 miles of our road down off the mountain due to snow. We were dealing alright with the 24 or so inches from yesterday but another 8-12 inches are expected tonight and there is just no place along that road to put that much snow and still be able to drive a vehicle through. Looks like I will be snowmobiling to work and home until some time in May. I had a good cry, we have never had to close before feb 1 before. Makes for a very long lonely winter for me too. Thank God for you all and the internet. Something about all this snow makes me feel cut off from the world. I know it is silly, I can just suit up and jump on a snowmobile, ride 7 miles down to my car and go to town. Must be just a "me" thing LOL. Okay, I am done pouting now, thanks for listening.

2. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

I hate snow, I hope it melts. So you can get around .

3. dlangland

dlangland dlangland

I feel for you and please take good care of yourself. I so admire your good attitude, though. As much snow as I shoveled today, I don't think I am going to get warm again until next May, but nothing like you guys have to put up with. Deb

4. TamInAz

TamInAz Well-Known Member

wow that's a lot of snow! I've been snow deprived since leaving NY around 9 yrs. ago. I kinda envy you the snowmobiling but I'm sure that gets old after while.

5. pickapeppa

pickapeppa Well-Known Member

Actually, that sounds kind of fun! Snowmobiliing to town, down the side of a mountain! Maybe I'm naive, but sitting here in IL just waiting to be hit with snow (we get maybe two or three decent snowstorms per year, rarely enough warrant the purchase of a snowmobile), I kind of envy you. Do you have a digital camera to post us some pictures so we can drool over the breathtaking scenery?

I hope that doesn't sound insenstive. I'm sorry you're feeling disconnected and dissappointed with the early snowfall. But I would love to be there with you right now. I'd run your trips to town for ya!

6. Tarot Farm

Tarot Farm Well-Known Member

I used to live in the Great White North, so I know how it is. It is just starting to snow here. But it has been trying to snow all day long..few flakes here and there. Now it is coming down pretty good.

Maybe a palm tree screen saver? Do you have any house plants? Things like that always seemed to take away the snow white blues for me.

7. ChickenHound

ChickenHound Well-Known Member

Just think, some of us pay darn good money to load up their snowmobiles on a trailer and haul them 6-10 hours north just for a weekend of snowmobiling! (Sorry, but the bug is biting me quite early this year and I can't wait to get on the trails!!!) :sing:

8. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

oh ick. We used to have to snowmobile in and out 8 miles when we lived near Flagstaff. It wasn't fun, and I was pregnant part of that time.

9. canfossi

canfossi Well-Known Member

Cheer up Sisterpine! Maybe the snow wil melt a bit, enough to open up the road. Do many people use the road during summer? Dress warmly when your on the snowmobile. Chris

10. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

i wish god would send south central pa a blizzard and slow things down a bit. our roads never close for more than about a day at the worst.

11. Beltane

Beltane Enjoying Four Seasons

It sounds kinda exciting...but then again you said this winter will be longer than most since you closed the road so early!

Well....I guess we're all here when you want to chat....and I would love to hear about MT - I went to school for a few semesters in Missoula. Gods Country out there! ;)

12. texican

texican Well-Known Member

Sisterpine,
    why don't you and your crew just move down here for our 'winter' (it was in the 80's last week, in the 70s today) and I'll come up there and sit out the winter in your place... :baby04:

13. RedEarth

RedEarth Well-Known Member

That's a lot of work, snowmobiling in and out. Do you work in town five days a week? Wow. I lived where I had to snowmobile in and out about half a mile for a while, didn't need to do it so often, but I had 2 preschoolers, and that made things a little tricky sometimes. I also have bad memories of broken mayonaise bottles and such. It was beautiful up there though. Good luck with it, stay warm.

14. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Trapped by snow is no fun,and a snowmobile,burrr......
    I think a snow cat would be a given if I had to face that.

BooBoo

15. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

lol So I'm not the only one. I bought a snowmobile when I was 14 and we didn't have a usable snow all winter. The next winter or two I got to use it maybe a half a dozen times. When I turned 16 I could drive to the snow but got sick of the whole drive to the snow foolishness so I sold it. Wouldn't you know it the next several winters there was a snowstorm every week. I still get a wild hair for a snowmobile every winter. I'll probably end up with one some year for the simple reason that I have no good sense. Around here an ATV is a much better investment. You can get about anywhere on a good 4x4 ATV until the snow gets over a foot deep. Once it gets deeper than that a snowmobile is hard to beat and an awful lot of fun.

16. sisterpine

LOL thanks for the laughs and good thoughts! We got another 6 inches of snow last night and right now at 0630 hours we have a 30 mph wind. I leave for town in 45 minutes for a doc appt then will come back home till i leave for school this evening at 1630 hours. I have a job interview next monday (the same day I graduate from university) and will just change at the truck stop by the highway. I am working hard on getting into winter mode but some chores (like pumping water) become extremely difficult. I am not complaining about the water though since this is the first winter we have not had to haul it in by snowmobile too! So anyone wants to ride just give us a call and come on up!

Lisa: being from tucson, we were just talking about the winters in flagstaff last night! about how that is one of the coldest snowiest places we know of our west. and how we are glad we dont live there cause of all the yuppies LOL

17. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

It started snowing that year in late September at our place. We were close to 8000 feet in elevation and had no phone at all. We tried everything from cell to I don't know what and couldn't get reception. The wind was incessant. To be honest it was a little scary and depressing in the winter. We were so cut off. After we gave up there, I'm surprised we ever tried again. But we did and we love it here! After we gave up and left, the Hochdoeffer Fire came thru and burned most of our few neighbors out. Our place was left intact and we sold it pretty quickly. Flagstaff is an interesting place. Full of yuppies, earthy-crunchies, students and rancher types. (Kind of like Sandpoint up here, minus the college students)There are things I really loved about it and things that drove me crazy.

18. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    Just reading your post makes me shiver. I will never complain about shoveling the walk to get out to the bus stop again in town. Im not at all sure I could handle that sort of isolation despite what must be spectacular scenery. I think Id be amongst the woozies that moved into town in the winter. I mean even the "sainted Ingalls family" did that one year and lived in Pa's empty store front in one of the Little House books. I always thought that was a neat idea, living in an empty store front. did it myself in the early 80s. Good luck sister pine. Stay warm and safe.

19. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Sisterpine, what kind of sleds do you have? I'd love to sled to work, but the city I work in does not allow snowmobiles within the city limits. We had our sleds out yesterday for the first time this season.

20. sisterpine

You are going to laugh when i tell you about our little old sleds LOL. But here goes any way. We have 4 Polaris 1992 indy lites 340 cc. Oh and one for parts, they are lite weight enough that we can move them around when we get ourselves stuck etc and they pull a really big (medium sized otter sled) with no trouble. We also have 2 1992 polaris indy lite long tracks (can no longer get tracks for the smaller ones , they used some odd 114 inch track LOL). And we have 2 polaris classics 1996 models with 440 cc that are quite heavy but like a cadilac riding down the road!