Our "new" Place

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by jessimeredith, May 25, 2005.

1. jessimeredith

jessimeredith That's relativity. Supporter

DH, the Bug and I are soon to be living "the good life"!

We are renting to own (at the moment, lol) a sweet little place. Needs alot of work, but we are slowly making progress. DH has pulled down the damaged drywall and ceiling panels in our room to reveal gorgeous wood walls and slat wood ceilings (I think that's what they are called, lol). Then he pulled up the nasty pink carpet only to find a perfect wood floor!

Anyway, we've got lots of room for the Bug to run and play (along with Sami Jo the lapdog boxer). A nice big area in the corner of the lot for my chickens (next year, I hope). I have a small garden planted for this year and a bigger one planned for next.

We're on grid with the electric only (well, the phone too). Water is provided by a small spring that doubles as a splash pool for the Bug during the heat. Springhouse is nice and cool and in excellent condition (gotta check on the age/condition of the pump though). Heat is woodstove, we'll supplement with kerosene if needed.

Our landlord is going to let us pasture a couple of head of cattle with his in exchange for DH helping him re-fence the pasture. Later on (in a year or so) we're going to buy the house and 2 acres that it is on. Then in another year, a couple more acres behind us. I've been out and about in the woods to check the area. Lots of wild strawberries, blackberries and game!

Just had to share with you all! We've finally gotten our own little slice of heaven (not officially ours, but you get the idea)!!

2. Baskar

Baskar Well-Known Member

Forgive my intrustion on your topic, but I've seen other people say DH...What does DH mean?

3. jessimeredith

Dear Husband or Darn Husband or D**N Husband...whichever fits best at the moment, :haha: !

4. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

Sounds like a great set up. :)

5. 65284

65284 Well-Known Member Supporter

Sounds great, it also sounds like you are putting a lot of work and probably a good bit of money into this deal. I hope you have everything in writing, a contract detailing the rent to own details and the option to buy the additional land.

6. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Sounds beautiful! Hope it all works out for you!

7. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

Sounds nice I want a wood floor.

8. jessimeredith

Oh heck yeah! We got it all...even had two different liars (oops, lawyers) take a look, lol. We tried this before, several years ago when we were young and STUPID, and got taken. Ended up having to file bankruptcy because of it. Lesson well learned.

9. Don Armstrong

Don Armstrong In Remembrance

In keeping with the rural theme, it could mean "Duck Herd"... or something like that. :D

10. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

I have a house I'm trying to rent to own to a woman but she doesn't want it. So she pays me 200$ more a month than she could buy it for. Whatever.

mikell

11. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

Oh how I envy you! Hard to motivate myself to do the gardening work when in a year I have to start over again. Can't wait til I get to put down roots again. Alabama (?) here we come.