Our new business!!!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by edjewcollins, Sep 21, 2004.

1. edjewcollins

edjewcollins Well-Known Member

Well we took the plunge and started a side business. You can view our site at www.bargainbouncehouse.com
    We will be moving to our homestead and wanted a portable business to take with us, plus it's a blast! We do this in addition to my day job for extra income and DW is a stay at home mom. Any input on the site is welcome, wish us luck!

Ed

2. TXlightningbug

TXlightningbug Well-Known Member

Good luck, Ed and DW! May the business prove fruitful for you! TXlightningbug :yeeha:

3. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

just went to your site looks very cool youll have fun and make money good luck on your buss. venture

4. Dreams30

Dreams30 Lady Rider

awesome, best wishes on your business. The website is excellent.

5. bare

bare Head Muderator

My eyes, my eyes! I'd tone down that green!

6. diane greene

diane greene Well-Known Member

If you decide to expand you should consider party tents and chairs. We do a festival at our nursery each year and rent a couple of tents - the man that does our tents also does bounce boxes and helium ballons. He once mentioned that the business became a real money maker when the tents/chairs became part of his inventory. By the way, the green didn't bother me. Good luck.

7. FarmerJeff

FarmerJeff Well-Known Member

$25/hour including delivery? Seems awfully cheap to me. Great idea...but charge what your time is worth.

8. edjewcollins

edjewcollins Well-Known Member

Going rate in this area.

Ed

9. Mudwoman

Mudwoman Well-Known Member

Great web site. I like that it answers all the questions one could think of, but is simple and doesn't give more info than necessary.

Good luck with your business!

10. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member

A bounce house can easily be set up in a flea market on the weekends and if you can add an RC race track, the two can compliment each other and setup / takedown is no big deal.

11. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Cool! Good luck!

On your site, the buttons at the top would stand out more if they were not so close in color to the background. I almost missed them completely.

Hope it all works out for you.

12. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

My daughter is a Girl Scout leader in Algonac so I will send this site to her later. Best wishes on your new business!!!! (and happy bouncing!)

13. Torch

Torch Well-Known Member

In the piney woods of the great state of Texas.
    Good Luck!

A few comments both good and bad (you asked for them!)

1. Good looking site. Nice job on the development. You should test with browsers other than ie though. It doesn't quite line up properly with my browser, Firefox.

2. You need a logo or at least a custom font for your company name. Times New Roman is drab.

3. In our area $200 would price you out of the market. If you're sure you can get $200 per day then go for it.

4. You should offer multiple rental discounts. For example $200 for one and $300 for two. You might be surprised how many will rent two (I always get two) and since you are making the trip anyway you're not spending much extra time.

5. You say this on your 'package prices' page, "We believe an "All Day" rental is the best way to go. Don't be fooled by other people wanting to pick up the rental after 4 or 6 hours." Then, on your 'current specials' page you have this, "Half-Day Special Get a 5 hour rental for the low price of only:$100.00". You've just made yourself the 'other guy'.

6. Talk to and make friends with your competitors. There will be times when he has a need but no available houses and vice versa. You can help each other out. Also, when a mother calls for a spider man because she is throwing a spider man party you will be able to perhaps call a competitor and get his spidy for cheap and both he and you will make money.

14. Laura

Laura Well-Known Member

I'm with Bare....I got an instant searing pain from the bright color scheme and can barely see my monitor now. Bounce houses are cool, though.

15. Torch

Torch Well-Known Member

In the piney woods of the great state of Texas.
    Ordinarily I would agree that the color scheme is a bit too much. However, given the nature of the business I think it's fine. Just my $.02.

16. ajoys

ajoys Well-Known Member

Well if it takes him one hour to deliver and set up and one hour to pick it up and they rent it for 6 hours, then he actually gets $75 an hour of actual time spent.

I think this is a great business to add to your arsenal of money making ventures. How much does the bounce house cost you and what is its expected life span before it needs to be replaced. I am just wondering what the pay back period would be etc......

I have seen a lot of car dealerships set these up on weekends. Also, I have seen schools use them during special events at school, open house, carnival event etc..... What about boy scouts or girl scout events, churches etc.... Just a thought.

If you put on your sales hat and start to pound the streets you might drum up a whole lot of business. Once you develop relationships with companies or oganizations and get some indiviual customers under your belt, word of mouth will take off.

What about offering other items for kids parties, balloon animal clowns etc....

Next thing you know you will be doing food catering too :) OK, OK so I like to look into the future and think big. In other words offer everything from the basic bounce house to putting on a complete kids party with everything that is needed. You don't even have to offer the products or services yourself, just find all ready established businesses that do what you need, establish a relationship and come to some agreement where you get a fee for finding the business.

Good luck, I hope you are a huge success.