Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today hubby and I went for a walk to the building to get some meat for the week out of the freezer. On the way down the drive I could not believe what we were walking right up on. I started grabbing hubbies arm and all I could say was "oh my god hunny" over and over and squeezing his arm. He was like "what?? Then he saw what I saw and it was a Beautiful huge male bald eagle sitting in the drive. Yep, just sitting there. Well once we stopped and watched him we could tell very quickly that he was hurt in some manor. We were only 10 feet or less from him and he was just watching us but, his breathing was very labored. So off I ran, big butt and all, to the house to grab the phone. Called the in-laws that live right across the street and told them. Also told them to start calling whoever they could think of for help. We live on the fowl river and we have bald eagle nests and we also live in a bird sancutary. Well I am going to try to make a very long story short and tell you that not ONE @#$%&**&^% seemed to care or even came to the house to help. We called everyone and anyone we could think of and ran down the blue pages in the phone book. Of course they all have bankers hours and do not return a call even if you leave a message. Even the sheriffe's office didn't give two craps... I was so upset and so was hubby. We finally called our local news station and they cared that no one else did and came out and to top it all off the news guy personally had a friend that was in the fish and game commission. He called her and she called her friend that is in the wild life conservastion and over 4 hours later after watching this poor beautiful bird suffer in our drive someone was on their way to help. The bird did start to get upset and take a short flight into a very wooded and swampy area and with it getting dark hubby took a huge landscape pot and put it over the bird so it would be safe with the darkness coming on and also settle down and not further hurt its self. So hubby made the news and the ladies came out and finally with hubby's help, rescued the beautiful eagle and it was on its way to the animal hospital. Needless to say we still have not heard anything from anyone else that swore they would try to get someone out here. Not even the sheriff or the game commision. I could just scream. Where is our tax money going and why are we not more careing about the wild life around us? My gosh it is our National bird and protected. But I'll guarrenty you that if we would have shot it the whole county would have been out here to arrest someone. I just had to vent and once I get the card from the camera I'll post pics. It truely was something to see. I hated that it was injured but, It sure was something, to see that close up. Oh I forgot to say it also was banned on it's left leg.. yep it must have been in a study or being tracked on the river. I was told they usually try to tag them as babies in the nest. BUT even with that knowledge, when I told everone we called or the many that we left messages with they didn't care. Okay I am done casue I could go on and on about how upset I am about this. Thank you all for letting me vent and please keep this beautiful animal in your prayers for a wonderful recovery.

·
In memoriam
79,016 Posts
But I'll guarrenty you that if we would have shot it the whole county would have been out here to arrest someone.
That's because the Sheriff can deal with a crime, but only certain people are authorized to handle raptors. There wouldnt be any point is someone coming if all they could do is look at it like you were. It's not so much that they 'dont care", but more that they really CANNOT do anything with them.

Here, if a deer is hit by a car and injured, but not dead, even the Game Wardens have to call a supervisor to get permission to kill it. A Police Officer cant do it at all.
Raptors have even MORE strict FEDERAL regulations as to what can be done to/with them.

I'm glad you finally got in touch with someone who COULD be of help

·
Registered
496 Posts
Hopefully the sheriff and fish & wildlife folks know where the raptor people are! It can be very frustrating finding someone who cares. Be persistent! Be a pest, find out what happened.

I'm with a raptor recovery organization (not even reasonably close to you) but I let the authorities and fish & wildlife folks know who I am and have gotten birds handed over from many counties around me.

Good success!

·
Once I was seven years old
3,046 Posts
I saw my first bald eagle this last summer while out boating on the river. I was in complete awe. Unfortunately, it takes a mountain to move government officials these days to do anything outside their narrow duties. I'm glad you were insistent and got the little fellow some attention.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Don't keep any of the feathers, if any came out. Keeping a feather from an eagle is a federal crime. Since they know the bird was there someone higher up may get it into their head that you have a feather and decide to come looking for it.

·
in memoriam
12,697 Posts
Had a simular experince with a great horned owl. took nearly a whole day to find an agency that knew who to contact to help the bird.
I was given a code number and told to take it to a vet a hour & a half away. Lady called me latter thatn evening andf told me they had to put the owl down as she had to much infection.

We are guessing she flew into the power lines trying to get into a big pine tree and broke a wing bad.

:D Al

·
Registered
303 Posts
A year or so ago my husband saw a deer that got hit by a vehicle and wasn't dead yet, still suffering. He went to the game warden's house and told him about it, and the guy acted like he was PO'ed to have to go out and do something with it.
Really ticked my husband off.
Like you said, if he would have shot it, even to put it out of it's misery, they would have been right there to arrest him.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Grama
maybe you missed it, but possession of raw eagle feathers by non native americans is a federal criminal violation (regardless of the source). i wouldn't put it past some vindictive govt pr!ck to see if they can catch her w/ one after getting the media involved.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have spent time working with raptor rehab programs in a couple of different states, and it has always amazed me how hard it is to find the info if you are trying to get someone to come out and help with something like that.

·
chickaholic goddess
2,740 Posts
I have had to deal with folks like that before its so frustrating!!! I wish I would have called the news when I needed help I am glad you thought of that. I can not wait to see the pics!!!

·
Premium Member
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As of very late last night, the Eagle was still alive and receiving fliuds. I'll be able to post the pics in a few hours and I hope they come out okay. Also, when we hear any info on the bird I'll let you all know. Thanks everyone so much for caring as much as we did. It is nice to know all the wonderful people out there....

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
We live on the Tye River, it is a pretty decent sized river and every two years we have an eagle pair that come and nest here. On Christmas morning we saw them, a bit early this year but so far the winter has been mild.
They were flying around, fishing and looking for small rodents. Just right off of our balcony.
Very beautiful. I hope your eagle makes it.
Alice in Virginia

·
Premium Member
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I really hate to post this but, we have heard that the beautiful Eagle died. I was so sad but, if nothing else atleast we tried and it wasn't alone. and now we have many good numbers to call if this ever happens again.

·
Registered
13,303 Posts
Aw, I'm so sorry he didn't make it, but at least you gave him a chance.

He does look very sick in the pics :(

·
Registered
344 Posts
Thank you for all your efforts! You've won some good karma points for sure! :)

I have a friend who experienced the same pointless bullishness that you did. On her way to dinner she discovered an injured red-tailed hawk on the side of the road. She had a hard time finding anyone who cared...but finally the local raptor center agreed to take it. Unfortunately it died the next day, and they were going to incinerate it. She asked if she could just keep a tail feather, and these people went crazy with righteous indignation on her on how much of a terrible a crime that is.

Then a few months later, her dog attacked and injured a young rabbit. She felt responsible to seek care for the bunny bunbun. But could she find anyone to give a hoot about one rabbit? No way. But when she asked the same people for advice on what she could do to treat the rabbit herself, she got the same thing...flamed with attitude and moral superiority about how rabbits are wild animals and it is illegal to tamper with them. Oh. my. gawd. please... I told her that these people don't care about the animals. It's all about control and power-tripping when you ask something of them.

Sorry, don't mean to dwell on the negative. But, yeah, I've seen this happen too. Seems like I'll be calling the news if I ever need wildlife help.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts