Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting article

If you want to make sense of the number of COVID hospitalizations at any given time, you need to know how sick each patient actually is. Until now, that’s been almost impossible to suss out. The federal government requires hospitals to report every patient who tests positive for COVID, yet the overall tallies of COVID hospitalizations, made available on various state and federal dashboards and widely reported on by the media, do not differentiate based on severity of illness. Some patients need extensive medical intervention, such as getting intubated. Others require supplemental oxygen or administration of the steroid dexamethasone. But there are many COVID patients in the hospital with fairly mild symptoms, too, who have been admitted for further observation on account of their comorbidities, or because they reported feeling short of breath. Another portion of the patients in this tally are in the hospital for something unrelated to COVID, and discovered that they were infected only because they were tested upon admission. How many patients fall into each category has been a topic of much speculation. In August, researchers from Harvard Medical School, Tufts Medical Center, and the Veterans Affairs Healthcare System decided to find out.

·
Registered
6,757 Posts
There is no such thing as a “reliable pandemic number”. There never has been. They’ve lied all along, and we have no reason to believe they’re going to stop any time soon.

The MARKETING department of Novant Health discussing how they can make Covid “more scary”. Ideas included adding the numbers of recovered to the current Covid hospitalization counts, and putting out the message that “if you don’t get the vaccine, you’re going to die”.

This is a single event, but we’ve seen stuff like this countless times throughout this “pandemic”. At this point, anyone posting a metric of any sort about “the pandemic” is really just saying “Look at this made up statistic that supports my feelings about the situation” and nothing more.

Something is happening, but we don’t know what it is, how bad it is, what to do about it, or if anything we’ve been told to try has worked. It’s all just junk-math and lies.

All.
Of.
It.

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
There is no such thing as a “reliable pandemic number”. There never has been. They’ve lied all along, and we have no reason to believe they’re going to stop any time soon.

The MARKETING department of Novant Health discussing how they can make Covid “more scary”. Ideas included adding the numbers of recovered to the current Covid hospitalization counts, and putting out the message that “if you don’t get the vaccine, you’re going to die”.

This is a single event, but we’ve seen stuff like this countless times throughout this “pandemic”. At this point, anyone posting a metric of any sort about “the pandemic” is really just saying “Look at this made up statistic that supports my feelings about the situation” and nothing more.

Something is happening, but we don’t know what it is, how bad it is, what to do about it, or if anything we’ve been told to try has worked. It’s all just junk-math and lies.

All.
Of.
It.

I concur.

·
Registered
5,538 Posts
Our county figured it out by offering no covid tests they send you to near by states. Va Md Pa that way it takes days longer to get test results messing with actual numbers. No such rapid test here. Our local hospital still doesn't test staff and never did. Still dont have fresh ppe for nursing staff. Let visitors come and go from covid rooms un ppe. None of this makes common sense. We are in red school is open. People dont mask at all and have not for many months.
Guess follow the money. If states dont use federal ppe money wonder where it went.

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Corporate "medicine" is not about the health and well being of the patients, it's about a continuous flow of customers. IMHO
That's exactly what it is. In medicine, there is no profit in healthy people. No profit in dead people. The profit is in helping them live with disease for as long as possible. You do this by treating symptoms, not causes.

·
Registered
17,647 Posts
Had a friend in the hospital for a week with it. When I first heard I imagined respirators and IV's in every appendage. He called the next day to day not to worry. They put him in there because he has great insurance and they would not let him out unless he wanted to take a chance on getting arrested.

He spent a week in there and was mostly asymptomatic. That same week on the news they cried about how the hospital was full and other patients couldn't get needed surgery because of COVID.

I say it was because of greed.

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
42,267 Posts
"There is no such thing as a “reliable pandemic number”. There never has been. They’ve lied all along, and we have no reason to believe they’re going to stop any time soon."

Gun Monkey is my spirit animal. :love:

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
It is amazing to me how these people can be caught on video cooking the numbers and many still believe what they are being told.
And now, since cooking the numbers isn't enough, the CDC is redefining terms....

Who do ya believe??

Reactions: Pony and no really

·
Registered
421 Posts
Had a friend in the hospital for a week with it. When I first heard I imagined respirators and IV's in every appendage. He called the next day to day not to worry. They put him in there because he has great insurance and they would not let him out unless he wanted to take a chance on getting arrested.
Unless your friend was in a psychiatric ward NONE of this makes a lick of sense.

If he was admitted voluntarily to a psych ward, under the threat of making it involuntary (yes, happens, and is wrong), and was incidentally found to have covid, then your story makes sense.

·
Registered
17,647 Posts
Unless your friend was in a psychiatric ward NONE of this makes a lick of sense.

If he was admitted voluntarily to a psych ward, under the threat of making it involuntary (yes, happens, and is wrong), and was incidentally found to have covid, then your story makes sense.
They probably wouldn't arrest him but they told him that if he left with known COVID he could be charged with assault since they hadn't released him yet. Strange times indeed.

·
Administrator
20,247 Posts
They probably wouldn't arrest him but they told him that if he left with known COVID he could be charged with assault since they hadn't released him yet. Strange times indeed.
It surely is. My friend held a rodeo a few months ago and was advised by health officials, they would escalate charges to attempted murder if any cases of the virus were traced back to his event.

·
Registered
17,647 Posts
It surely is. My friend held a rodeo a few months ago and was advised by health officials, they would escalate charges to attempted murder if any cases of the virus were traced back to his event.
I remember that. I don't think it would stick but the are plenty who threaten with it.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
While it's real easy to be skeptical about anything in the news about CoViD, one point about all the skepticism expressed concerning hospitalizations-- They don't get paid unless the pt meets specific criteria for hospitalization-- they must require & be treated with things not available as out-pt care-- IVs, respiratory support, intensive monitoring, unstable vital signs, etc etc...Nobody has gotten hospitalized "for observation" or "for testing" in 40 yrs.

Being a natural skeptic, I still don't believe it either.

The Atlantic article cited in the OP didn't give a reference, so for all we know, it's a product of the author's drug induced imagination. All the article states is that almost half of the cases reported as "CoViD hospitalizations" are really hospitalizations for other reasons with coincidental positive CoV test....That means the hospital rate for actual CoViD is half what we think it is, but the death rate for those actually needing hospitalization for CoViD may be double what we think it is. (We still wouldn't know if a death was due to the CoV or just coincidental to having CoV.)

·
Don't let "good enough" be the enemy of perfect.
1,739 Posts
It is amazing to me how these people can be caught on video cooking the numbers and many still believe what they are being told.
Those people have never seen the video. They get all their information from network TV and I guarantee that it has not been on network TV.

Reactions: farmerDale and Pony

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
42,267 Posts
Hospitals falsify documents for insurance. When the documents pertaining to payment arrived, we learned that Medicare paid for a heart transplant that my husband didn’t have.

We tried to clear up the billing situation, but were told “not to worry about it.”

1 - 20 of 26 Posts