Our little dog, embarassing admission..

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by John Hill, Jan 5, 2007.

1. John Hill

John Hill Grand Master

I was bought up with working dogs and we have had pet dogs but I must admit I dont really know how often a dog must pee or poop?

Our little dog which we adopted as a two year old adult is giving us concern. She hardly ever pees when we take her out and we cant find evidence of her peeing in the house.

We have a cat door and she might be going out of her own accord but if she does it is only at night. She never pees or poops when I take her out to the grass after a meal.

She poops when on a walk once a day and they look OK, our real concern is that she is not peeing, least not where we can find it.

She is a 2 1/2 year old spayed poodle/pomeranian cross and is a dear little bundle of wooly fluff!

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

What are you feeding her John? My BC is very restrained in her number of pitstops but makes good use of the intermisions when she does, life is just too much fun to waste on... well waste! If she has difficulty producing urine it's a problem, or a lack of opportunity to urinate, it's a problem but so long as she's healthy happy and offered suitable chances to go (and it looks/smells normal when she does) you've little to worry about. Too frequent urinating IS a problem. Almost sounds like you're putting off doing you taxes, sorry I can't help.

3. NCGirl

NCGirl Well-Known Member

I bring my girl to work with me and we leave the house about 6:15 in the morning and don't get back home until almost 6 at night. She usually chooses not to pee while we are at work even though I walk her a couple of times. She usually goes the minute we get home, then again once before bed. So she pees 3 times a day. I don't know how many times she poops?

4. John Hill

John Hill Grand Master

Thanks guys, we went out for a few hours this morning leaving her confined to the laundry which has a cat door to a small enclosed yard including a grassed area.

When we returned we were very pleased to see that she has left a sizeable deposit of doggie-do which I think is a good sign of her having become accustomed to her new environment. She has only been with a few days and she had an odd life previously spending about 14 hours a day confined to a garage while her owner was out to work.

5. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

Females take longer to mark their territory than males, so it is not surprising that your poor pup took a while to her new residence.