Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This new thread is all about our feeding program. Not everyone will be able to duplicate it as it is totally dependent on utilizing waste from guineas, pheasants and quail. No pig feed will be bought or used. Our goal is to grow pigs without costs to us as we already have high costs in our birds. We realize that many will think our feeding program will harm the pigs, us or anyone who buys our pigs. We believe it will not.

OK enough disclaimer time.

How we feed our pigs.
1. Twice daily
2. Bird waste in winter is collected weekly by hand gathering poop and sorting waste feed, and alfalfa hay chaff (fines) except for quail which is poop picked daily. Summer pens are cleaned every 2 weeks using same method.
3. Watering as needed
4. Grazed in spring, summer and fall too cold and grass stops growing.

Received 4 gilts and 2 boars November 14th average weight 25lbs. November 18th added 1 boar at 25lbs from a different farm. Planning on breeding 2 gilts and butchering the other 2 gilts and the 2 boars.

As we butcher the pigs we will be weighing and checking fat content and noting time it took to get to our butcher size.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Was talking to my wife on the into Spokane. The conversation was about what is the percentage of what in our waste feed. Well, best we can calculate is as follows.
Pheasants or guinea waste

10 to 15% North40 bird seed or Fred Meyer bird seed.
5% Purina 30% gamebird feed
30% fine alfalfa hay chaff
10 to 15% bird poop
The rest is alfalfa hay stems

Quail waste
50% quail poop could be higher
30% gamebird feed 30%
The rest is pine shavings
Quail can't be raised with stem of anything. It gets in their gizzard and pokes a hole thru the gizzard.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This morning I fed the pigs kitchen stuff the pigs ate it very quickly. Before they finished I fed them guinea waste and they didn't finish the kitchen stuff and went for the guinea waste. Before they finished that I chopped up a apple and thru that in. The apple won over all.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Butchered one of the larger pigs today. Pigs bought 15 November and we butchered one 11 days later on the 26th.
Gilt
Pig weight live - 40lbs
Hanging - 13lbs
Back fat - about 3/8 inch
Growth rate - over 1lb per day
Our results is a more or less
We are very pleased with these results considering we bought 6 of them for $33.33 and have no feed cost.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts