Our Jersey Heifer Calved

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Haggis, Apr 20, 2006.

1. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

Tulip had her first calf this evening around 5pm. The birth was very easy, but she has yet to allow the wee bull calf to nurse. I milked out a pint and a half of colostrum for him, and he drank it from a calf bottle, but she just won't have him touch her udder. I'll milk out another quart around 9pm to hold him through the night. Maybe by morning they will have sorted it out.

This calf is out of the Milking Devon bull we bought last summer from the George Washington plantation at Mt. Vernon. He is not as dark as his father but he is very much a brick red. I'll give him a week to get his strength and then start his oxen training; if he lives.

2. Christina R.

Christina R. Well-Known Member

Glad to hear the birth went well for Tulip. She was part of the kids' prayer time on Monday. I bet they'll have it figured out by morning. At least he got some colostrum into him right away. He's lucky he has your experience covering him!

3. heinola honey

heinola honey Well-Known Member

Hi Haggis,
    Are Tulip and the calf doing allright? Did he finally start nursing on his own?
    I hope everything is going ok.
    Ruth

4. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

I went out to milk Tulip this morning with hopes finding little Vercingétorix II busily nursing away but he was not. I milked out three pints of colostrum for him but he had no interest in the bottle. He did sniff around the udder while I was handmilking Tulip, and later I saw him nosing her teats. She no longer shies away from him, and he seems to know where everything is, but I haven't seem him actually nurse. He did nurse, for a minute or so, after we had fed him two pints in a bottle last night. I was surprized that he would not take a bottle of warm colstrum, but then if his wee belly is aready full...?

Tulip was very easy to milk for a first calf heifer. Believe it or not, she will stand as steady our old cow Lucy. I don't think she let her milk down too well, but she will come to it in time, as she learns what beng milked is all about.