Our house was broken into yesterday.....

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by roadless, Nov 30, 2006.

1. roadless

roadless Well-Known Member Supporter

and they smashed the lock on one of our safes and took my two 22's, ammo., my passport, birth certificate . They also took a huge dump in the downstairs bathroom and left the seat soiled!! The really scary thing is I didn't know it happen until hours later. I was so ill yesterday that when I came home from work I laid on the couch and took a nap. For all I know they could have been downstairs. We had the local police and two State CSI people here till 11:45 pm. They dusted for prints , took lots of pictures and even swabbed the mess in the bathroom in hopes of DNA. I am livid with anger. The thought of someone in my home especially my bedroom is such a violation. I am having an operation next Tuesday and will be laid up all next week and it infuriates me that I now cannot feel safe in my own home. :flame:

2. stirfamily

stirfamily Well-Known Member Supporter

Oh Roadless, my heart goes out to you. We were burgled twice over 10 years ago and I still feel it just like it happened yesterday. They never found the person(s) who violated our home. Hope your police have better luck.
    karen in Indiana

3. CountryBeth

CountryBeth Well-Known Member

Oh, my. Do you report a passport being stolen? So sorry about all this and praying they get caught.

4. SweetSarah

SweetSarah Well-Known Member

I thank God that you were not there when they came. I am so sorry this happened to you. I can't imagine how you are feeling. I just hope they catch these evil people soon.

5. roadless

Thank you all for your compassion. I tried to report the passport and was put on hold way to long. Then I tried to do it on the internet and was unable to download it .I am not feeling very swift right now so I'll try again tomorrow.

6. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate

I'm so sorry this happened to you. Be checking your credit accounts cause with the passport there may be some soon identity theft going on, or selling it to an illegal.

At least you have all the police work to back you up.

I think, condolences to your peace of mind, is in order.

Angie

7. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

My sympathies....theft of a firearm is a federal offense....get a dog a really BIG dog to keep you company and sound the alarm...

Last year our thieves were caught becasue we quickly produced serial numbers and someone reported a suspicious car at our camp...we got all but loose change returned....and a door with a deadbolt.

8. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Sorry about this.

We had bunch of our things taken a few years ago.All the Law does here is take a report and say we'll see what we can do.

big rockpile

9. COUNTRY WISHES

COUNTRY WISHES Well-Known Member

So sorry. Do make sure to report the theft of the passport and any bank information that might have been taken as well. I would call the Credit reporting agencies and have a freeze put on your credit as well. You are going to have to watch out for identity theft.

I also second the vote for a dog. A big one is best, but even a small yippe thing would at least alert you to an intruder in the house.

10. roadless

We (stupidly )haven't used our deadbolt on the door unless we were going to our cabin for the weekend. The cops showed us how quickly they could get into our front door with a credit card, less time than it takes me to fumble with my keys. Good grief, and to think I was nervous at our new cabin and fealt safe here! I am so angry, I think I don't want to let go of the anger because I might have to admit I'm afraid. I really hate feeling vulnerable.

11. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Yep they stole more than just stuff....security....let your anger be a motivator to become very secure.....train the dog , put up no tresspassing and beware of dog signs. Target practice.....

The night after we were broken into some folks stopped and went to the bathroom on our property and my husband "threatened" and pointed his gun at them out of "fear" of returning thieves.....these people reported husband and state trooper came (different one than the neighbor one) and my husband met him in the driveway with a loaded weapon.....nearly was shot...explanations were given and no harm came of it....but it will make you nuts if you let it.

Most folks would have stopped and asked to use the outhouse :shrug:

12. roadless

You are right mpillow, they did steal my security...I was uneasy coming home from work today and had to do a walk through before I could relax (somewhat). I even hesitated to eat some leftovers..maybe they were tainted? Great,now I have entered the world of the paranoid.

13. Tricky Grama

Tricky Grama Well-Known Member

Roadless-

I'm so sorry! Had this happen to us, too, minus the 'dump' thank Heavens. It will take time but you'll get over the fearful feeling. Especially if you get a guard dog!

Patty

14. farmergirl

farmergirl Well-Known Member Supporter

The part about the huge dump they took in your bathroom suggests that the person who broke in was high on methamphetamine. I once had a rented apartment broken into and the investigating officers mentioned that meth-heads often take a dump somewhere outside the house they break into. Weird, I know, but may help them narrow down suspects.

15. lgslgs

lgslgs Well-Known Member

Apparently amateur burglars often poop in the house - not as some kind of statement toward the homeowners, but because they are so on edge that their innards start to rumble and they have a sudden urge to go.

Lynda

16. Beltane

Beltane Enjoying Four Seasons

I am so sorry ~ how horrible. I have no place for thieves. :flame: I can't believe they took your birth certificate. :flame:

17. Ninn

Ninn Custom Crochet Queen

I feel so bad for you. Make sure you call and freeze all your credit accounts-change your bank cards, too. With your birth cert. and your passport, they can get your ss# and take your whole identity. Notify any stores you do business with on a regular basis, so no one gets access your accounts. With your passport, they also have your signature to practice copying. I don't envy you this mess.

I agree with the big dog, tho. My Panda, who pretty much loves everyone, even keeps the landlord away when she barks. She weighs 100 lbs. and is only half grown. I can't wait to see the reactions we get when she reaches her full growth.

Good luck to you. I will be praying for you.

18. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Im at least glad to see your LEO's actually investigate crimes.

BooBoo

19. nana-san

nana-san Well-Known Member

glad you weren't home. do want you need to feel safe, and good luck with your surgery.

20. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

What a bunch of jerks!!! I am so sorry that happened to you. May I suggest you getting a dog? Even a little dog can alert of an intruder how ever if your not home a big dog has a big woof!!!