Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They are two weeks old now, starting to open their eyes, and today momma decided they needed to be moved. Why would that be? She seems to want to be back outside, then come in and feed, and go back out. All day long. Are the pups ok to be out in the barn with her and the goats? They have been in the basement since birth. We would definetly like them to be with the goats and chickens and the other animals. We just don't want them hurt.

·
Premium Member
9,244 Posts
Our Pyr pups are born in the barn with the goats and never leave the goat barn until they are big enough to walk out on their own. The goats don't bother them and Jill takes very good care of them. She had them in the kidding barn her last litter. So there were goats kidding as she was whelping. :)

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We wanted them to be born in the barn but my vet had me thinking its a real bad idea,lol. She said the sticks and things, in the hay and straw, could poke their skin, and infect their cord stub, not to mention the bad flies this year. This is our first breeding and litter so I was pretty nervous :shrug: We moved her to the garage at first, but it got up to 98* in their the day after she delivered so we moved her and the pups to the basement. Much, much cooler. But I'm thinking they can go back out now. Advise please??

·
Premium Member
9,244 Posts
I would think that they could too. But since they weren't born there, the goats may not so readily accept them, so I think I'd give them a little corner to themselves. What I did with my first litter was boxed off a small corner with a piece of plywood that was about 18" off the ground. This way it kept the adult goats out, but Jill would crawl under to feed her pups and then back out whenever she wanted too. I didn't bother with that with the next pups, but it might work for you.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks very much, the plywood is a great idea!
I just love this group for all the great info!! :)
Have a great day!!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh she is driving me nuts!! Ok, their outside in their own place near the goats. Now she is digging holes like crazy to lay in the dirt and the pups are getting covered with it. Up their noses, in their mouths, crawling all over in the dirt to stay with momma. Is this all ok? We put a bunch of soft hay down but she just moves it all away to get to the dirt.

·
Registered
54 Posts
My Petals, a GP has moved her puppies at least 4 times and they are only 2 weeks old. The last time she moved them under an old rabbit hutch that has a wasp next in it. We tried putting her in a large horse trailer but she goes crazy trying to get them out. Her last litter she had in the barn with the goats. This time she had them in another barn with llamas and horses.

·
Premium Member
9,244 Posts
kath2003 said:
Oh she is driving me nuts!! Ok, their outside in their own place near the goats. Now she is digging holes like crazy to lay in the dirt and the pups are getting covered with it. Up their noses, in their mouths, crawling all over in the dirt to stay with momma. Is this all ok? We put a bunch of soft hay down but she just moves it all away to get to the dirt.
Yes, she is doing this because she is hot and the dirt is cool. In my opinion its the biggest drawback to summer pups. Is she clipped?? I do not normally clip my Pyrs, even in the summer, but I do if they have pups. Just imagine how hot she must get cuddling and feeding all that extra body heat? So if she is not already clipped, I would do so. Also, does she have a water tub or pond(separate from the goats water), that she can cool off in?
Jill did this same thing with her summer litter, the pups were ok, but it drove me crazy. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts