Our first triplets (photo)

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by adnilee, Feb 20, 2005.

1. adnilee

adnilee Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    Our #19 (you may remember from previous post about false labor) had triplets yesterday afternoon. 2 males, 1 female. She is a great mum and is taking care of all 3 quite well. Should I start feeding her grain early due to heavy demand of milk, or should I still wait a couple of days?

[​IMG]

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

If she wasn't on it already get her started with a small amount. You could have hay that is so good she won't need much (2nd cut alfalfa) We normally have the ewes on some grain all winter, but especially for the last month of pregnancy. I do cut that grain ration in half right after lambing as they tend to get acidosis if they fill a noncompressed stomach with grain.

3. Shazza

Shazza Well-Known Member Supporter

Are you going to raise the smallest one...she couldn't possibly raise them all herself? What I found with my triplets when I let them out into the paddock is the littlest would be asleep and the others would wake up and follow mum and have a drink, and then the little one would wake up and find herself lost. I would pick her up and put her back with the mum and siblings but the same thing would happen again. After 3 days of this I took her inside and she is now bigger than her siblings...5 mths old now. My Wilma could not have coped with 3...she was very stressed for a while, she had the mucus coming out her nose etc. heavy breathing. :)

4. adnilee

There is one male that is a little smaller than the other 2. They all seem to get their fare share of milk so far. He took a little coaxing to start with, but seems ok now. She is such a good Mum, she always goes to the one who is laying down (whoever that may be) and gets them up on their feet to feed.
    These are our last lambs this season, so they can stay in the jug for a few weeks. I am affraid to let them out this young because of Coyotes.
    After a week or so, we let them out with the rest of the flock during the day and put them back in the pens at night. They seem to love the sunshine!

These 1 and 2 wk old lambs layed by the door all day yesterday!
    [​IMG]

We are still working on fencing seperate pastures (and barn area) for the newborns/Mums. Hopefully by summer we will have a better set up. We plan on putting the ram in with the other ewes (9 of them) soon, for a second lambing in August.

We will keep a close eye on all three of the triplets to make sure they are well fed. I think the ewe can take care of 3? Of course I may be wrong!

5. Shazza

:) Yes perhaps your ewe was better prepared condition wise...I had only just purchased my ewe 6 weeks before she lambed and she was obviouly not getting hand fed where we bought her from. I reckon if we hadnt bought her she would've died, or at least her lambs would have. Wilma is one of those ewes that just ignore their babies...which really annoyed me...I think she kept forgetting she had 3. So rather than go out one morning and find tragedy I raised her.
    Wilma was also one of these mothers that when they all were shorn and everyone is running around sniffing eachother and blahing cos none of them recognised eachother she just munched away and reading her mind, she was quite glad. :)

6. quailkeeper

quailkeeper Well-Known Member

One of my neighbors (who I am so jealous of :rolleyes: ) has triplets everywhere!! She has Katahdins and Barbados. All of her ewes raise them. So it is definitely possible :haha: I can't wait!!! One of my Barbado ewes should lamb any day now.

7. Shazza

I in all honesty couldn't leave triplets on a ewe, I would have to take the smallest and hand raise it. But that's me, I would never forgive myself if something happened to it. After all God made them with 2 teats...:)

8. SmokedCow

SmokedCow Well-Known Member

we had a ewe (suffolk) have triplets last year and they got HUGH! Didn't have a problim with milk or anything! It was wonderful...Thanks for sharing...Our ewes need to kick it in to gear! WE have one week old lamb :waa: a ewe lamb whos not to excited about letting hers loose and 4 cows who are BULLING who shouldnt! Oh..I love farming! :haha:
    AJ

9. adnilee

Turns out that the ewe isn't producing enough milk...in fact she isn't producing hardly any. It took my wife 45 minutes to get 25ml out of her. We lost the smallest lamb (see sick lamb thread) and are now bottle feeding the other two. She seemed to have milk at first and her bag is huge and not hot.
    Is it possible that her milk may increase? We try to milk her every time we feed the lambs to avoid mastitis.

Any suggestions. She is our favorite ewe and I would hate to have to get rid of her.

10. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Sounds like she is holding her milk up. Some just do for anywhere from a day or two to weeks! They need a small dose of oxytocin to drop the milk. It can be caused by a retained after birth too, so take her temp. If she has a small fever 102.5 is normal, I'd treat her with PenG or a sulfa antibiotic like Trivetrin, or Borgol. She may have mastitis scarring from previous years, she may have the dreaded hard bag (OPP) but if you get milk a few minutes after an oxytocin injection, she's simply holding it up.