Our first homebred holstein heifer

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by JeffNY, Aug 9, 2006.

1. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Well today I trimmed this little heifer, and did her topline for a picture, that will go to the fair. Unfortuneatly I couldn't show her, she was too young by show day. If I was going to The Big E, I could, but I can't because I have some animals due around that day. Next year though, I can show Sigma (the heifer calf) and her dam. Do a little daughter/dam thing. This heifer acts exactly like her dam. She likes to chew, likes to lick, looks like her face wise.

For those who get technical with the numbers. Speedy, this calf's dam has the following for Type, UDC and F&L.

+1.34Type +1.69UDC +1.06FLC

Sigma's numbers as as following.

+1.39Type +1.85UDC +.50FLC

Her Type increased, and her udder composite. Her FLC is lower. The bull I will eventually use on Sigma will improve her FLC nicely, as well as type and UDC. Either way, the picture of Sigma. She has a nice little frame.

[​IMG]

Jeff

2. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

I won't pretend to know what the numbers mean, just wanted to say WooHoo! :dance: Nice calf. Hope your showing goes well when you do go :)

3. JSIA

JSIA Active Member

Jeff,
    how did you get those numbers? You don't clasiffy correct? Interesting Udder Composite can be predicted so young.

4. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

BRC..."Blue Ribbon Calf"

5. lgslgs

lgslgs Well-Known Member

She's pretty! How old is she now?

I always enjoy your photos. Wish our grass was that green. I like the flower garden in the pic, and the bright blue skies and red barn in other photos were nice touches as well.

Lynda

6. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

Nice animal, I'm envious...Great Job!!!
    Big rain storms here in Tennessee as I write...Sweet Holstein....John

7. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

Nice animal, I'm envious...Great Job!!!

8. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Thanks! I have a bull calf that is homebred, very very nice looking little calf, another bull calf out of "red" isn't bad. He is extremely dairy, has a long body, and very dairy face. I don't like him overall however, lacks some things I want to see in a calf.

Should be interesting come next fall. I am going to be using bulls such as Lheros, Outside, might use Gibson on a heifer (will be a cow come October)that I would like to see more dairy. Going to use Talent on another one (needs F&L, and rump improvement).

Jeff